Need to buy new tires

kelA

As the subject suggests, I am in the market for some new tires for my Chrysler sedan. I am looking to get some feedback or suggestions as to a good tire in the $100-130 ea. range. Most of my driving is highway so I am looking for a nice all season tire with an emphasis on quiet, smooth ride. Anybody have any recommendations? I will most likely only have this vehicle for about 3-4 more months but I REALLY need tires now. I was looking at the Michelin Harmony tire. Of course all reviews are mixed for about every tire out there. It is hard to believe how subjective a smooth, quiet ride is among drivers. Any ideas?

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I was going back and forth about spending that kind of money for 4 months of driving, but I will probably put around 8-10k miles in this time. I average about 32k miles a year. I am in field service and cover a four state territory. I currently have a 2005 with 114k miles on the car.

Another thought is a set of new "take offs".

My Saab needed new tires bad and when I went to my longtime local dealer I was given the option of new car takeoffs.

I bought a new $1600 set of Pirelli tires taken off a new car the owner had replaced with custom wheels and tires. I paid $250 mounted and balanced.

New care takeoffs are avalable at many tire dealers.

I normally choose Uniroyals. I get good mileage from them, very few problems over the years, and the price I just checked a few months ago was around $75.00 ea.

I won't go to a discount house for tires. I don't go to a tire store for diapers or greenbeans.

Harry

I wouldn't buy used tires except as a last resort. The new car takeoffs probably didn't have 500-1,000 miles on them. They still were shiny new with all the little "tabs" on them.

You might call around and ask if any are available. New car dealerships occasionally have them also. Call the parts department and ask.

Since you're getting rid of the car pretty quick it may be an option that suits your needs economically.

Harry

I'm on my second set of Pirelli' P6's on my Ford Freestyle and I loved them so much that there's now a set of Pirelli PZero Nero's on my wife's SVT Cobra Mustang. They are quiet, grip well in all conditions including snow and they are usually far cheaper than Michelin tires.

I caught a going out of business sale on 195 70 14 Michelin Harmony tires. Buy 3 tires get the 4th free. The dealer had 12 in stock and told me that if I bought all 12 he would mount and balance them for no charge. 195 70 14 is a tough size to find so I bought all 12 of them. It was a deal to good to pass up. now I have Harmony's on all 3 of my Camry Wagons. 20,000 miles on one set of the Harmony's and they still look practically new. Soft quite ride for an 80,000 mile tire. I had been running Michelin Weatherwise (Sears) tires. The weatherwise might have been a little softer ride. You can't beat Michelin.

Why are you selling the car? At that milage, it is only getting broken in! I drive 50K a year just to work and back. I normally get 200-250K on a car before selling and buying a new USED car. I won't take the deperation hit of a new car.

Back to the point, I just put 4 Remington tires on my "new" 04 Stratus, They were about $120 each, 80,000 mile tires. They ride smooth and are quiet and grip the road well. I just put 4 Michilens on my sons car. Best price by far was CostCo. Lifetime roatitin, ballancing, nitrogen fills a good deal all around, for $89 each ballancing and mounting included.l

It is a company vehicle. The drivers are responsible for paying the maintenance costs and getting reimbursed. We just put in a order for a new vehicle but it will probably be 8-12 weeks. The company will sell the vehicle at auction and recoup any monies. I took it in the shop this last weekend and found out that it had a bad wheel bearing. I was wondering why it had gotten so loud while driving it. That was a big part of the problem. I still need tires, but after just spending $400 for the repair I am wondering if I should put an additional 500 into knowing that I will get rid of it in about 3 months. The tires are cupped. I will probably just go and ahead and do the tires. It will just add to the resale I guess. Who makes the Remington's? I guess I will head back over to tirerack.com and look at some more reviews.

Well I use to drive about 35000 miles a year and have tried quite a few different brands. My favorite by far has been Toyo. Of course they have different models and prices. They have been the quietest tires I have purchased and last a long time. Might not be what you are looking for right now but consider down the road.

Just a quick update. I went ahead and purchased some Yokohama Avid TRZ tires. These are rated 80k tread life with a nice smooth quiet ride so far. I will be traveling to northern Ohio and PA next week so I should get a real good test. So far I am happy with them with the limited amount of road time I have had. I got everything out the door for $400, which seems reasonable and the next owner should get a lot of use from them. These Yokohama's got some high praise on tirerack.com. Early reports are that I would recommend these for a midsize sedan if you dont want to break the bank for the bigger name brand tires. Thanks for the suggestions guys.

We got some fairly inexpensive Firestone FR380 tires from Firestone for my Civic. Our local Firestone really has a great group and they know absolutely everything about tires, so we're happy buying from them (plus we can ususally get discounts). They don't grip as well as the last ones I had on my last Civic in the rain, but they're very quiet on the road, and best of all, they're cheap, and durable. New tires are the best!!