BenG

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

K-tel, Mo-tel , holiday inn''

I got lost back in Sinatra/K-tel''whew!

Ill do some surfin, and get the scoop.

One last question before I jump the gun.

Should I buy the MA DIP or the AMC CD8(transport)

or _______________(transport)

Im planning on purchasing either, early next week.

thanks,

-benny

------------------

Monarchy Audio SM-70

Onkyo DV-S535

Monarchy Audio Model 33

KLIPSCH HERESY II (soon)

AudioQuest Slate/Diamondback

So you dont want to hold out? First, rule out the AMC product. The is not up to the rest of the system. The DIP is one thing..perhaps. You can find these used on Audiogon and elsewhere frequently. People will upgrade to better digital and want to rid themselves of the extra link.

I still think you should have gone with a quality one box player to virtally eliminate the jitter problem (relatively speaking) and nearly as good sound. Especially since you to an 18bit DAC (that can be upgraded).

You know what I would do? I would buy a used Rega Planet (pre-2000) and use if for a transport. It makes one of the best transports you can get AND it is an EXCELLENT CD PLAYER in its own right! So, in essence, you get two pieces in one and will be able to use it as a standalone player to compare. And when plugging into the Model 33, you will have about as solid a transport as you can find.

If you ever wanted to upgrade to a 24bit data out transport, you could sell the Rega in a heartbeat on ebay for the SAME as you paid or keep it as another player for a second system. I actually use a Planet in my first sytem and think it one of the smoothest, most analog sounding players I have heard.

This is just an idea. You might find the Rega player on its own beats the combination into the Model 33!

kh

I will hold out.

I'll burn in all the units for a month including the(bolder digital) and see what happens.

good night.

-benny

------------------

Monarchy Audio: SM-70 class A amplifier zero feedback Onkyo DV-S535 dvd player(transport) Klipsch Heresy II mahagony finish with riser stands Monarchy Audio Model 33 dac/pre AudioQuest Slate speaker cable / Diamondback interconnects - Bolder Cables digital coaxials>

mobile,

K-tel

The company formed in the late '60s and released its first album, 25 Polka Greats, in 1971. The label mostly focused on pop and classic rock, but also released compilations featuring disco, comedy and other genres.

cwm23.gif

maybe you should have kept your distance from "polka songs" . Luis Miguel's label has to be better.

Mariah Carey, who had an awesome label, was/is

going nuts over "Mr K-tel Miguel" .go figure.

------------------

Monarchy Audio: SM-70 class A amplifier zero feedback Onkyo DV-S535 dvd player(transport) Klipsch Heresy II mahagony finish with riser stands Monarchy Audio Model 33 dac/pre AudioQuest Slate speaker cable / Diamondback interconnects - Bolder Cables digital coaxials>

I didnt mean to get you are fired up about ole K-tel...it was actually a 100% tongue in cheek comment...

As for Luis, well....each to his own. He just sounds a bit sap-a-fied to me. A bit sweet and sugary. Not too much heft there.

As for ole Mariah, lordy....

I think you are making the right decision holding out and giving stuff time. The REGA would be a GREAT transport though...at around $350 used, it cant be beat.

------------------

Phono Linn LP-12 Vahalla / Linn Basic Plus / Sumiko Blue Point

CD Player Rega Planet

Preamp Cary Audio SLP-70 w/Phono Modified

Amplifier Welborne Labs 2A3 Moondog Monoblocks

Cable DIYCable Superlative / Twisted Cross Connect

Speaker 1977 Klipsch Cornwall I w/Alnico & Type B Crossover

system one online / alternate components / Asylum Listing f>s>

<<<christ....youre using toslink???? I didnt even catch that. man...>>>

I hate to pick a fight here, especially against someone as respected as Mobile, but I can't resist. Sorry, but I ascribe to the "bits is bits" camp when it comes to digital signal transmission. Toslink and coax are just transmission media. If you are concerned with the somewhat flimsy connectors that can come with some Toslink cables, by all means upgrade to a better Toslink or digital coax cable. But if you are worried that one will transmit the bits better than the other, sorry, it just ain't true.

My advice - try 'em both and see what sounds best. I have seen applications where Toslink is superior to digital coax, because it eliminated the electrical connection between two pieces of equipment and hence removed ground loop hum. In other cases, I've looked on the back of a friend's equipment rack and was amazed the photons could actually bridge the gap between the end of a flimsy Toslink connector and the back of his DAC.

Sorry, I just don't agree that Toslink should universally dismissed as crap. I've spent too much time in the area of digital engineering and transmission to let that one slip by...

Brace for impact...incoming...LOL

Colin

------------------

My System

quote:

As for ole Mariah, lordy....

Just the other night when "The Price is Right" was having their 30th anniversery show there was an expose' show in the same time slot on E!.

Towards the end they were talking to some of the later Barker's Beuties. Gena Lee Nolin!? Heather Kozar!? and a few others who's name excape me for now. This had me busting a gut getting to my computer and fefering to all the nude screensavers that have been installedcwm19.gif.

http://www.screensavershot.com

------------------

Tom's Money Pit

This message has been edited by tblasing on 02-02-2002 at 10:26 AM

Unfortunately (or fortunately as it were), I was not referring to ole Mariah Carey's looks as much as her sonic output, which to these ears has been about as empty as the artistic value of a SAMS food processor display. OK, I know this is total opinion...what else would it be? And many, many are in love with singers like Carey and Dion, who have loyal followers...as does Britney Spears...

But lord, I find their music (although Britney Spears is worse) about as vapid as a picture of two big-eyed cats hanging in a sorority dorm room...

And dont think the male side is any less guilty. IN-SYNC's popularity is a complete and utter mystery to everything of reason within my skull. I sometimes will watch one of these "specials" just to witness the complete and all-encompasing mediocrity of what popular music has become. Although, I have to admit, it was damn bad in the 80s as well. In fact, popular music has not quite been the same since the 60s when good radio and hits had some character and goodness.

Personally, I would rather stare at a blank, black screen or a picture of a phone bill then eye Mariah Carey on my 21" monitor...

kh

ps- Chickey, dont think I have forgotten you! ...youre comin' next!!!! heh

Phono Linn LP-12 Vahalla / Linn Basic Plus / Sumiko Blue Point

CD Player Rega Planet

Preamp Cary Audio SLP-70 w/Phono Modified

Amplifier Welborne Labs 2A3 Moondog Monoblocks

Cable DIYCable Superlative / Twisted Cross Connect

Speaker 1977 Klipsch Cornwall I w/Alnico & Type B Crossover

system one online / alternate components / Asylum Listing f>s>

This message has been edited by mobile homeless on 02-02-2002 at 10:45 AM

Digital cables most truly do make a difference, and the 'bits is bits' argument is spurious.

BenG, I would definately get better cables, the DIY is good but be advised that if you have rudimentary skills with a soldering iron you can build a cable akin to the DIY yourself for a fraction of the price.

Belden GIVES away the 1506A cable for the asking. Call their 800 number and ask for a 'sample' piece. They will often give you enough for two cables. If not, just call back the next day and ask again.

Get good Canare RCA connectors, and follow the design as described by Jon Risch on his web-page, which I do not remember off the top of my head but can be found at 'Asylum Answers' link at www.audioasylum.com

I would recommend the DIP having had experience with it, it will do much more than the cable change from toslink, and you should be able to pick one up for $130, give or take. If you don't like it you can sell it for the same price that you bought it, assuming you don't wait ten years.

Do digital cables make a difference? Yes, they do. Is it a HUGE difference? No, it's not.

I had three cables, a DH Labs SilverSonic -- $80 new and well recommended, an Apogee WideEye -- $45 new, and again well recommended, and a DIY version of the digital cable we were discussing here.

I had the luxury of hearing a live performance of Stravinsky's Firebird at Mpls Orchestra Hall a while back. Excellent venue, with impeccable sound. The next day I realized I had a CD of the same material at the same location. OK, it wasn't the exact same performance but hey, it was pretty darn close.

So I sat down with my three cables, and compared. The difference was obvious in the first 60 seconds of each spin.

The WideEye had the best highs, but it's soundstage was a bit weak. It also sounded a trifle analytic, and didn't have the 'music' in it. The SilverSonic had the best soundstage, but oddly enough, it's high end was a bit rolled off. However, it was very 'musical', in that it seemed to get out of the way and allow the soul to come through. The DIY was both good soundstage and good high end, plus was transparent without being analytical, so it's what I have kept.

Mind you these tests were all with a Theta Data Basic transport, which is a pretty high end unit. And my DAC has been heavily modded and is pretty high end in itself. In other words, YMMV.

If I remember (after reading all the other replies), the original complaint was that the Heresies were too bright. This is hardly a new complaint. I was surprised nobody's suggested taming the tweeter by moving its connection on the autoformer in the crossover. I did this on my Heresy I's, dropped the tweeter by 3 dB, and it made a world of difference. They're still a bit thin sounding (no bass - we all know that), but that excessively bright high end was brought back under control.

I'm sorry Ben doesn't like his Heresies - he spent a lot of money for them. I hope something as simple as room placement and taming that tweeter can do what he wants. But not everyone likes the Klipsch sound. Maybe Ben's one. (Especially if he likes the Paradigm Studio 60's - superb speakers, and simply very different from Heresies.) Welcome to life.

This message has been edited by JonM on 02-02-2002 at 05:16 PM

Thank You All again,

The heresy's are still on and guess what mobile,

"they have been playing L.M., on repeat" !

I know mobile it was all in fun, I wasnt fired up as you thought i was.

The highs are getting "softer", the whole sound I should say.

If anyone finds a rega in the used market that may look like the one to buy, let me know. I might as well start now.

Thanks,

All the cable comments , I have the bolder digital coax on the way.

The DIP should be ordered next week.

-benny

------------------

OK. I am on the hunt for you. Looking for the perfect player. Another GREAT transport option though is the Pioneer PD-65 CD Player which uses the stable platter system. Makes a good transport although I would still be partial to the Rega Planet. The is a Pioneer at AudiogoN for $400.

http://cgi.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cl.pl?dgtlplay&1017629953&class&3&4&

Still, looking for the Rega. Although, that Pioneer is a good option as well.

Email this guy some questions. Rega Planet. Dont bid yet...

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1328736607

kh

that rega sure looks nice.

it specifies 350.00 can it go higher, if so when do i start and how much should i offer?

------------------

rega_247.jpg

That is my Rega above, purchased off ebay used (see my post under the shipping thread). Well, I have a feeling this one is going to be heading to $400 or so, which is not uncommon. Getting it for $350 is a great price but does not come always. I got mine for $450 almost four years ago which shows how the price has not changed all that much. This player holds its value and, as I said, is a good transport.

Have you ever done ebay? You dont bid until the very end if at all possible as bidding early only serves to drive the price up. Are you registered yet?

kh

BenG,

When I find an item I am looking for at ebay, I do some research on the seller (via email and check out feedback). When I am satisfied with the seller and the item I decide what is the max I will pay. I place my bid in the last few seconds of the auction.

*I edited this post*

------------------

Ed W

This message has been edited by edster00 on 02-03-2002 at 08:56 AM

BenG

Forgive me if I missed something but the last post I saw about how you have your Heresy's setup mentioned that you had them pointing straight ahead.

I notice a tremendous loss of detail with my Heresy's in this configuration. If you haven't yet done so, I highly recommend that you try toe-ing them in so that that are pointing directly at your listening position. I would start there and then experiment with varying amounts of toe-in to see what you like the best.

Also, I found that elevating them off the floor resulted in additional levels of detail in the music. As has been mentioned before, placement is critical with these speakers and my experience has been such. The difference in sound between, on the floor pointing straight ahead and, on the stands pointing right at me, is significant(amazing actually). Don't underestimate the importance of proper setup with these speakers.

------------------

--Elliott--

Heresy Mains (Birch)

Heresy Surrounds (Walnut)

RC-3 Center

(Because a C7 won't fit!)

SVS 20-39cs/Samson S700

Denon 2801

Acurus 100x3

JVC D-Series

Pioneer DV-525

cwm27.gif

WOW !f>

How can I explain, without sounding too "korny", well, its impossible!

I have had my system running no-stop since 1/31/01.

You know, you read all these reviews and people expressing the same comments..."I heard details like never before" , "I found myself pulling out all my CD's and just Listening!"

Smile.gif ...im there.

The one that first Set-in : OOO Baby Baby / Linda Ronstadt. I chose this CD to leave on repeat mode while I was out. I knew my wife would enjoy it. The volume has been set pretty low, so I (we) never really noticed.

One hour ago I got home..Oh, Im on days once again.

I disabled the repeat mode and began the CD.

I was smiling from ear to ear. Yelling for my wife to come have a listen!

She was floored. These jewels were invisible (with the toeing) the vocals were so intensely "Real".

It all came together in such a way....well I thought about the sayin' "you wont go back" yep.

I cant wait for the DIP, and the digital coax.

Young & Rollins/salsa flamenca "Julio's Song" is spectacular in every sense of the word!

Thanks to:

jelliot / chickey / jonM / randy / bitter / macK / talk / shape / kevins / audioflynn / shape / dbflar /

mobile / manuel / fini / maxg / colin

no kissing butt here, just good ol'respect for all.

thanks,

-benny

------------------