Electric guitar help. Soliciting feedback from you guys.

m00n

Anyway.....stalk your local music shops, craigslist, forums...Times are tough and there are going to be lot's of fire sales......If you know what you want, jump when the opportunity presents itself.

Musicians almost always need the money. Just be fair, but don't feel guilty when a real deal comes along.

Bruce

Musicians almost always need the money. Just be fair, but don't feel guilty when a real deal comes along.

Bruce

Ha, I'm the one more than likely to get the raw end of the deal. I'm not good at wheeling and dealing. But, point taken.

Anyway.....stalk your local music shops, craigslist, forums...Times are tough and there are going to be lot's of fire sales......If you know what you want, jump when the opportunity presents itself.

Bruce

I find most of the time it's not a musician...they usually know what gear is worth...but somebody who bought way to much Guitar thinking he was going to be the next Carlos Santa before he ever took a lesson....sit's in the closet for three years gathering dust and then decides to off-load it quick....

Anyway.....stalk your local music shops, craigslist, forums...Times are tough and there are going to be lot's of fire sales......

Good advice, I've seen plenty of nice guitars on craigslist, and eBay has some finds too but it's hard to beat a store that deals in used instruments. Pawn shops are also a good place and Guitar Center has some nice new guitars in the $300-400 range. Ibanez makes some really nice guitars for little money, but it is hard to beat an Asian or Mexican built Fender Strat which has numerous upgrades available. I'd recommend a Strat with a humbucker in the bridge position for the tone you are looking for. But more important than tone is feel, it seems most players either prefer a Fender (or Fender knock off), or a Gibson (or Gibson knock off). Gibson is a bit clumsy for me and feels far less natural than a Fender which has a much more svelte body, thinner neck (although the frets are closer on the smaller scale Gibson necks) and lighter weight (something to consider if you plan on strapping this to your body for any period of time). Find a guitar shop and stop in and play around with a few different guitars and get an idea of what feels right. From there you can think about tone, upgrades and price. Somebody once gave me great advice when shopping for guitars, "If the guitar doesn't call out to you, if you don't feel compelled to play it... you won't and it will collect dust."

• 2 weeks later...

I started with a $29 new electric guitar back in 1970, played it for years without an amp, just listening to the radio and playing my records.

Now I play the Strat Plus I bought new 20 years ago through a Fender Deluxe Reverb (reissue) tube amp, very slightly modified. I can tell you from experience that it absolutely does not really matter what you start out with. You will know when you need to get something better as you learn and improve. You really only need to worry about your equipment when you begin to play with others and perform, and even then it won't matter much until you are good enough that the difference in guitar and amp makes a difference in the way you sound.

Not sure at all what kind of music you are thinking of in terms of crunch... I tried to see how crunchy I could get my Strat a while back playing on a metal backing track - look for the song "MetalMania" here. It's near the end of the list of songs.

post-16099-13819419199762_thumb.jpg