Electric guitar help. Soliciting feedback from you guys.

m00n

Hey, I know there are some on here. Wanna chat with you all about them. I'm interested in learning to play the electric guitar and looking for some adivice on my first guitar. (Well third actually, first was an Ibanez bass from years ago, sold it. The second is an OLD hollow body that was left to me by my grandfather some 25 years ago)

I'm wanting a solid body, something that is going to produce a good rock sound (read as good crunch). I don't want to invest a bunch of money at first. I'm thinking a decent starter guitar that I can over time upgrade. You know, pickups, bridge and what not. WHen i say starter guitar, I'm thinking somethin in the $300 ~ $400 range.

Help / suggestions welcome!

.............. Marshall amps are the way to go,when you decide to move on an amp.

Agree. I bought my son a JCM-800 Combo amp (1982, Model 4210) last January. Best $450 I ever spent. Be sure to get a TUBE amp, the older the better.

I'm not all that knowledgeable about guitars. When guitar shopping, I bought him an American made Fender "Deluxe Fat Strat", but it was more than you're looking to spend. If you want crunch, you might want to consider an SG.

This could get to be a very long thread.

You want crunch, but what style? There are plenty of brands that play well, have good intonation (stay in tune as you fret the strings farther up the neck), can be upgraded, but don't cost too much.

No matter how much I like them, most Fenders and Gibsons cost too much (SG is a Gibson solid body). Ibanez makes some decent instruments for the money. I have a used Godin, solid mahogany - $300. Probably not crunchy enough for you, though

Welcome back, btw.

Bruce

Hey Marvel how ya been? Good to hear from you! Has life been good to you?

Crunch... Hmmm.... I'm thinking crunch as in the sound of bands like RATT, Dokken, however, I also love the sound of Steve Clarks ( The late great Steve ) of Def Leppard. There is something about the tone of his guitar that sounds soo good to me. That overall good brown sound. Eddy had it in his early years, but lost it somewhere along the way. In my opinion durring Diver Down. Not saying he wasnt good after Diver Down, just that the sound of his guitar changed.

When you say style... What do you mean? Are you talking what style of music? If so, I'd have to say 80's rock... Def Leppard, Dokken, Ratt, Rush, Van Halen.

IF I had the tallent, and was playin with a bunch of guys, the sound I would strive for is a cross between Dokken, Def Leppard, Ratt, Rush, maybe throw in some Poisen.

Has life been good to you?

Depends on when you stopped hanging around here. My wife passed away just after Christmas 2005... and you can see me and my girlfriend in my avatar (taken in Ireland in August, although she is from the Philippines). Life is getting much better again.

I'm now a grandfather! [:|] , and will be again in January. (I've gained s son-in-law and a daughter-in-law)

All those sounds you like are a cross between the amp and guitar, with a huge dose of talent thrown in to actually make those sounds.

Bruce

Indeed, a LOT of tallent. I almost forgot two bands that I adore... Steelheart and the one CD wonder Hardline. Well they had others but they were without Neil Shawn, Shaun??? Not sure how to spell his last name.

Yes, I do recall your wife passing away. I wasn't going to say anything on the board because I was not sure if that was something you wanted brought up after all this time. Very good to know that you've been able to move past it and find new love. I've happy for you Bruce! [Y]

If it makes you feel any better, I'm at least old enough. My kids aren't but I am. We had kids a little later than what our parents did. Probably a good idea, aloud me time to get my career going.

sustain takes a hard body guitar and/or lots of volume. Lots.

crunch is combination of high quality pickups, effects boxes (today's guys use a lot, most have a rack full of goodies not just stomp boxes), tube amps etc.

I would not expect to get the sound of some of the heaviest guitar players on the planet for a budget. Ain't gonna happen.

I would not expect to get the sound of some of the heaviest guitar players on the planet for a budget. Ain't gonna happen.

Guys these days sometimes use a stack of processors to get the sound they want, but you don't need to do that to get kicking sound. Because of the new manufacturing techniques, $400 gets you what it took $1500 to get you twenty years ago. The choices are almost endless. For example, in the $300-$500 range -- Guitar Center has almost 200 guitars to choose from. For starting out -- keep it simple.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Ibanez-RG2EX1-Electric-Guitar-103382115-i1167867.gc

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Ibanez-RG350DX-Electric-Guitar-519415-i1395598.gc

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Epiphone-G-310-SG-Electric-Guitar-Factory-B-Stock-Ebony-518280-i1149969.gc

You'll need an amp. To get the chuncky brown sound, you really need a tube amp and something like an Ibanez TS808 -- which will set you back at least $700. A good place to start is with something like the Roland Cube.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Roland-Cube-20X-Guitar-Combo-Amplifier-487031-i1169243.gc

Neal Schon is what you were looking for Wink And Hardline was a great band, just came out a little to late, I think if they would have come out in the 80's they would have been big! "Taking me down" was one of the better tunes I liked from them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fcARPRLWMec

YUP. I agree 100%

By the way Joe, did you know that Tesla just put out a new CD on Tuesday? What I've heard sounds amazing!

Hey Dean,

I was looking at this ibanez http://www.guitarcenter.com/Ibanez-RG5EX1-Electric-Guitar-103574026-i1167870.gc

Or this kramer http://www.kramerguitars.com/Product.aspx?ProductID=328

I've read through some reviews of the Ibanez. People on the Guitar Center website seem to love it. However, I'm a bit concerned. Everyone seemed to rave over it. I did another search on the internet on that guitar and got mixed reviews. One person said that the bridge was complete crap. Someone else said that after heavy use it goes out of tune. I don't suspect I'd have any issues with playing it hard not anytime soon anyway. [;)] I've not read anything on the Kramer yet.

Well, you're at the $300-$400 price point, so somethings gotta give -- the bridge and tuning keys are good places to cut corners. If you were going to be playing four to six hours a day, every day -- I'd just say you have to spend more money and go more upscale. Anyways, it makes sense that someone who practices constantly and hits the stage on the weekends is probably going to be less than satisfied. Like fendbender says, you can buy one of these and start upgrading the parts, and end up with something really killer for less than half the price of a Gibson. Personally, if I was going to get back into this again I'd be doing drop-D, drop-C and learning how to shred -- these guitars look perfect for that kind of thing.

I don't know how often something like this happens ...but I hit paydirt hanging out at a local guitar shop.....I was just giving some new Basses a test run when a guy walks in off the street, gig bag in hand...the sales people all knew him and he wanted to sell his MIA custom shop flame maple top, ebony fingerboard Fender Jazz....the sales guys were not in the mood to buy anything and offered him $150 bucks!

He thought about it for a minute,and left.....those went for about $1200 new...I followed him to the parking lot and pulled out $250 cash....He took it and it was perfect. I kept it for about a year and sold it for $800...I had about 4-5 basses at the time .and sold a few to buy a Sadowsky.

Anyway.....stalk your local music shops, craigslist, forums...Times are tough and there are going to be lot's of fire sales......If you know what you want, jump when the opportunity presents itself.