Eico questions

MikeSt

Hi Everyone!

I've been excitedly reading the forums looking for an amp to use with my KG4's and think the Eico 81 would be a great choicet. I thought about McIntosh SS but I hear a lot more words like 'magic' when reading about the Eico.

My question is, will it ruin it if I leave it on all the time and will it run up my electricity bill? I have an old Marantz that I leave on all the time right now. Also, I watch a lot of movies, will that ruin it?

I plan on getting better Klipsch speakers in the future but I can't afford it yet. I also plan on playing computer FLAC files as my music source. Any recommendation on the best way to do that?

-mike

I would never leave a vintage tube amp on unattended. Also It should be inspected by an experienced competent technician like NOS Valves before full time use.

Eico is a nice amp but I have never heard one with bass weight that was acceptable to me. Scotts and Fishers seemed stronger in the low end.

I am a Scott slappy though. ;)

Happy hunting!

Rick

I would never leave a vintage tube amp on unattended. Also It should be inspected by an experienced competent technician like NOS Valves before full time use.

What about a new tube amp? Are they as good as the old ones? Also, do you think good SS gear like Mcintosh or maybe Rotel can be as musical as tubes? I'm not really interested in accurate or analytical as much as it being 'pleasing'.

Eico is a nice amp but I have never heard one with bass weight that was acceptable to me. Scotts and Fishers seemed stronger in the low end.

That's interesting, I didn't know that. I do like to hear bass, it just makes the music sound better to my newbie ears. :)

I think it was nomad rider i sold my Scott LK-48 to. Maybe he could chime in for his impressions when he recieved it since it was less than a year ago.

My parents had a 1959 top of the line Motorola before I was born. Music on the Scott was most muscial since my parents system as far as being emotionally involving.

Since 1985 i went through over A couple HT recievers, 10 SS integrated amps and one digital amp beforegetting the Scott. Once I went to tube separates it make no sense to just keep the Scott in the bedroom.

Leaving tube gear on 24/7 is not advisable and it matters little what era it was designed and built in. First off the tubes themselves are consumables and the more hours on (when not listening) the more hours wasted. Then factor in tubes can fail without prior notice and in the case of output tubes the failure can be catastrophic if your not present to shut it off . Yes they use electricity in fact they use just about the identical amount of electricity when idle as they do playing music. To me its a complete waste of a valuable resource but the electricity waste factor is true on all electrical components.

As far as the HF-81 being a great choice sure a properly working one will be very enjoyable. It is not my favorite integrated but if you score a nice one and either rebuild it yourself or have it rebuilt they can be very nice. But be very careful sourcing one of these since the quality of the units is dependant on the talent of the original home brew kit builder they can vary from well built to a total rats nest. Also realize that you will indeed pay a premium for the HF-81 since that ridicules review in Stereophile. When you could source them for a reasonable price tag they were a pretty good value. But at the current pricing IMHO they are not much of a value. Also keep in mind that the review in stereophile was done on a not original circuit highly modified HF-81 that most likely sounds nothing like an original circuit rebuilt HF-81. In reality the original circuit HF-81 was what really started the cult following of the HF-81 many years ago.

Comparing McIntosh to an EICO isn't really a fair comparison. Totally different ends of a spectrum. Much is dependant in a ear of the beholder.

If you like the Mcintosh sound...the MC-250 or 2505...is a nice way to start off with SS mac....on the colored/warm side as to give it certain "tubelike" quailities...(thats good or bad , depending on the listener )

By the time you get into Mcintosh tubes ..MC-225/240/275....you are talking one to several thousand and more $$$$ to have it rebuilt/new tubes.......

HH scott has very nice models.....

If you are going to leave your system running ...I'd stick with newer SS...

Just so happens I had the Scott LK-48 hooked up to a pair of KG-4's. Seemed to be plenty of bass on these speakers. I now have it hooked up to some Cornwalls and it sounds very impressive to me. It sounded nice on my Belles but it really shines on the Cornwalls. I recently found a vintage Sansui 9090 DB that seems to be a better match for the Belles. Maybe Craig has a nice Scott unit he could rebuild for you. I guarantee you will be happy and probably one of the best bangs for the buck. If for some reason you did not like it ( highly unlikely) you could get most of your money back anyway.

Thanks for the help everyone!

I recently found a vintage Sansui 9090 DB that seems to be a better match for the Belles.

I'm interested in the Sansui. I think I could get one much cheaper than the other gear. I heard than vintage Hafler from the same era is just as good, and that the Adcom is even better. I'm thinking I might not need to spend so much on the amp because if I'm not going to be able to hear a big differenceit might be worth it to get something like Sansui or simiar.

Just so happens I had the Scott LK-48 hooked up to a pair of KG-4's. Seemed to be plenty of bass on these speakers. I now have it hooked up to some Cornwalls and it sounds very impressive to me. It sounded nice on my Belles but it really shines on the Cornwalls. I recently found a vintage Sansui 9090 DB that seems to be a better match for the Belles. Maybe Craig has a nice Scott unit he could rebuild for you. I guarantee you will be happy and probably one of the best bangs for the buck. If for some reason you did not like it ( highly unlikely) you could get most of your money back anyway.

I do not rember if we talked about it. Your LK-48 has a very new power transformer which helps in the bass department.

Would be neat to hear the LK-48 on the Corns. Only time I heard Corns was bad room at a hotel before a Klipsch Indy pilgrimage about 5 years ago.

Bass on the well built tube integrateds is not poor but when you hear the VRD...the upgrade bug bites hard.

What kind of budget are you working with? A McIntosh MC250 or MC2100 is a very solid value, and generally a better piece of gear to buy on the open market than tube gear that has not been sorted by a competent tech. If you burn to have a tube integrated, give Craig a call and buy one of his fixed up deals. It will save you grief and expensive repairs in the medium/long run.

Good luck in your quest.

Have you looked at Yamaha, HK or even Marantz? I seen this, http://www.classicaudio.com/forsale/yam/CR1020.html, I have one that I had hooked up to Cornwalls and loved the sound. Now I have it hooked up to Heresy and it is still unbelievable.

I have a Marantz 2215 hooked up to the KG4's right now and the left channel is blown. I haven't heard HK or Yamaha. I imagine it had something to do with the 4ohm impedence on the speakers. It never really sounded that good to me. CD's sound terrible on it. That might be because of the cheap Marantz CD player I use.

Maybe I just need to try a higher wattage amp, the Marantz is only 15 watts per channel.

I have a combination of the Yamaha CR-1020, Marantz 2238B, and Harman Kardon 730 & 930. To swap out with Cornwalls and Heresy. I am currently cleaning up the 930 and have yet put it in service.

Which doi you think sounds best? I have a Marantz 2215, wasn't too impressed with the sound with the KG4's.

My current setup consist of the Marantz with Corns and a TT, and the H/K 730 with another set of Corns and cd player. I like the sound with the TT setup but I also don't blast it too loud. I do turn it up about a 1/4 of the way up every so often on both systems with the radio on just to get them running. Most of the time I do this on the weekend and the same station, it sounds crazy. Sorry for the ramble, back to the question. I like the sound from the H/K but I really want to hear how they sound with the 930. One thing about the H/K 730 & 930 is that they are twin powered, two different power supplies mean better power handling.

James

BTW where are you located?