Chorus II's help

JimmySee

I'm new to these parts -- and would like some help/info.

I bought a pair of all-black Chorus II's from a shop in Beverly Hills when we moved west from the New York City-area in 1995.

Didn't know much about them; but I went into the shop to hear Phase Tech's and left with the Klipsch speakers - which were easily the best sounding speakers I heard in my price range.

Why were they discontinued? They seem to be based on the original Klipsch design theories (use of horns, etc.) that are no longer being followed by Klipsch.

I know they're big, but boy oh boy are they efficient and do they sound great!

cwm11.gif

Are they popular? Do folk around here still own them? They do weigh a ton so mine aren't going anywhere any time soon.

My wife even tolerates them in the living room.

Thanks!

------------------

Jimmy

Beat's me why they quit making them.

But I have a pair of Black '95 Chorus II's as well.

I was fortunate to pick up a pair at a thrift store on the AFB I work at, under $300.

Somebody's wife didn't accept these, bless her little heart, Poor guy.

They had a couple problems, he wasn't too nice to them.

But this is like a once in a lifetime thing for a guy with my income.

I would be listening to 30 year old Sansui's otherwise.

They work well now!

I also got his Yamaha MX-1, CX-1 amp and pre for $100.

Maybe not the right amplifier for the Chorus's, but for a hundred bucks?!

Some say the Chorus/Chorus II's are the last of the cornerhorns.

I don't know, I just discovered Klipsch about 6 months ago, and am quite happy.(And grateful.)

THANX!

I've got a set of Chorus Is. Lots of folks 'round these parts have Chorus, and feel as you do.

Why discontinued? Just look at what you see in the stores these days. Chorus are hardly dimunitive items (as you mentioned), and the trend seems to be small or at least narrow and deep versus wide and less-deep (as the Chorus are).

In the meantime, we'll just enjoy our "little" treasures!

Doug

------------------

My System

I too love my Chorus I's. The cabinets could use some freshening up, but the sounds they make bring a smile to my face every time.

On a side note, I know there are some individuals on this board who have Chorus I's and Chorus II's in the same house. I am curious as to which ones you prefer as your mains, and why. The Chorus II's are the "correct" mains for my Forte II surrounds and Academy center. There is a set for sale within 45 minutes of my house. I have Chorus I's not II's. You see my dilemna. Smile.gifSmile.gif

Speed

------------------

Klipsch Chorus I Mains

Klipsch Academy Center

Klipsch Forte II surrounds

Marantz SR19EX Receiver

Yamaha 5 CD Changer

Mitsubishi WS-55807 55" HDTV

Playstation 2 for games/DVD

quote:

Speed, why not pick up the Chorus II's for mains, use a Chorus I as a center and rear effects with The Forte II's as surrounds. You can sell your Acadamy for big bucks and you will have better sound. Think about it and check out the specs...

Well, mostly because I would have to add on to the house to get a room that would hold 4 Choruses and two Fortes... Smile.gif

I might just have enough room left to add a subwoofer to the living room, but it had better look like a recliner, or a curio cabinet......or a big tube......

------------------

Klipsch Chorus I Mains

Klipsch Academy Center

Klipsch Forte II surrounds

Marantz SR19EX Receiver

Yamaha 5 CD Changer

Mitsubishi WS-55807 55" HDTV

Playstation 2 for games/DVD

I can understand that, especially with a little bump on the way. Obviously, I embrace your totally tubular idea. I am not sure but I think if you check the specs that Chorus II's, Forte II's and Academy are an Official Klipsch "Made in Hope" Match. Keep the pair that your ears designate... they are a close match, the same size but the II has a passive radiator... if memory serves. Check it out, you can probably recover what you pay for the local sale in any event. Hey, it's better than boiling water... the classic Western task of the daddy-to-be. cwm4.gif HornEd

I have both Chorus I's and Chorus II's, and continue to swap them from front to back trying to figure out which one I like better. I love them both and feel that they may be the most underappreciated speaker that Klipsch has ever manufactured (imho). Keep in mind that I use these speakers with a SVS 20-39CS/Samson S700 and don't really notice the difference on the bottom end... especially now that I'm using the Outlaw ICBM to manage my bass. The midrange (squawker) horns are also different and I'm sure when they developed the K-61-K for the Chorus II, Klipsch felt this was the better midrange. I'm not too sure but then again, my ears aren't as good as they used to be either. As far as I'm concerned, you can't go wrong with either of these speakers...

Mike

------------------

My Music Systems

Hello everyone, this is my first post here after discovering the site last night. Huge Forum!

Anyway, I'm a long time Klipsch devotee. I'm a rock, blues, and heavy music fan, and no speaker sounds better to me than Klipsch for that kind of music. I have a pair of Chorus II's, which I think are around '94 models. They are natural oak, and look as good as they sound, which is HUGE as you all know. I push them with a Yamaha 120 watt per channel receiver (sorry, can't remember the model # from upstairs). This is all the power I need for clear concert volume levels.

I absolutely love having guests and letting them hear the stereo. Most have never heard of the brand. I sit them down in the "sweet spot" of the room, and proceed to crank up Vinnie Moore's "Meltdown." The results are always the same. "What are those speakers?" "Who is that playing?" These poor folks have been denied for way too long. The cool part is that this is such a simple setup.

They are heavy mothers, but I will always use them. The only other thing I would ever get is if we were somehow showered with money and could build a house to our liking. A pair of Horns would then be on the purchase list, with a music room designed and built around their sound. This is purely wishful thinking.

Again, I'm glad I found this site. I look forward to learning a lot more about my favorite speakers.

------------------

"Hello Cleveland!"

Rock Man,

Welcome to the site!Klipsch and Yamaha sounds like my system (Yamaha M-85 and Cornwalls).You'll find a lot of useful things on this site,whether it be system tweaks,troubleshooting,or any other questions you have you've come to the right place.There are a lot of knowledgable people here so if you have any questions/comments than by all means lets hear from you.

Jeff

PS:I personally like Coming Home from VM. ;,)

I prefer the Chorus II's, however, there's nothing wrong with the Fortes. I feel that the Chorus II's are more of what you buy Fortes for - deep, tight bass, crystal clear mids and highs - all around great speakers. Both are great choices - if price, finish, and cabinet size are not an issue, get the Chorus II's.

If you choose the Forte II's, that's still a good decision - you should be happy with them.

------------------

First we Rock, then we Roll!