Best Listening Format

jbd

I have a Onkyo TX SR705 and have it hooked up to a 1080p upconverting DVD player and cable box via HDMI. I know only one's ear can tell, but what surround formats would you suggest for the following?

DVD movies

Sports on tv

iPod/other music.

I have a 7.1 set-up, and can't seem to set the receiver to a format that rocks the house! There are dozens of different surround formats, and was looking for some advice.

• Like 1

I think most user here will agree that for 2 ch sources stereo is the best listening option. I myself don't care to much for the pro logic setups, the thx decoders are ok and dts's Neo 6 stuff i prefer over the dolby stuff. As far as movies with multi channel sources I myself again like to just leave it as it's flagged. Most of the time I use the basics. I don't care for the way the processing makes the music sound, it's either to narrow and focused on the center or sometimes too wide. It's just a matter of preference. Lately with the advent of the HDMI cable I actually have been using the Direct and Pure Audio mode alot more. Especially with Blu Ray Movies, after I get it set up (the movie) I hit the Pure Audio button and IMO sounds much better completely unaltered. Just an opionion though.

When I watch sports that are in 5.1 I usually leave it but sometimes will change to the 2 ch stereo option. The ambient noise during footbal games gets a little annoying to me.

• Moderators

Not sure of the settings your Onkyo has but with my Yamaha, I prefer the following settings:

Movies - Movie Standard

Sports - Don't really watch them

iPod - Music Enhanced (this is specifically designed for listening to compressed formats such as mp3's). It really adds a lot more depth to the sound of my iPod.

You are correct, your ears are different than mine. I am totally blown away with the sound of my 3.1 system. Can't wait to install my newly aquired RB-35's and then eventually add a pair of RS-62's to complete the system.

Just a thought, I don't think a certain "format" will magically make your system "rock the house". What is lacking?

If I understand your question correctly, you mean like say...... for example "jazz" mode when listening to jazz? Or when watching an action movie, switching it to "action"? If this is what you mean, I don't use any of those modes. I just use straight THX Select 2 for all movies, and either stereo or DD/DTS for tv. Hope this helps!

On my 805 I have it set to MultiCh for anything that's Blu-Ray or DVD whether music or movies. For my DirecTV I always have it on the Dolby PLII Movie setting. For audio only such as CDs I have it set to Pure Audio. For the radio I have it set to All Ch. Stereo.

Make sure to run the Audyssey setup - it is very worth it to bring out the best in your speakers and how they interact with your room!

I used to try the various decoders, but now I just use Straight when watching DVD movies, so the signal comes through unprocessed and the surround effect is as the director wanted, whether it is recorded in 2-channel, 5.1 or 7.1. On the DVD istelf, I usually choose DTS if it's on the disc, or Dolby EX or Dolby Surround, in that order of preference.

For TV sports, in my case mostly motorcycle racing or hockey, I watch in 7-Channel Stereo, which gives the effect of being either outdoors or in an arena, which is the closest to being there.

For regular TV viewing (2-channel stereo broadcasts), I tried DTS-Neo6Cinema, but found that almost all of the sound was coming from the center speaker, so now I use DTS-Neo6Music most of the time. If it's a music broadcast, I'll often switch to Straight, so all the sound is coming from my main speakers. The bi-amped JubScalas sound much better than the Heresy IIs that I use for center and surround, but I'm planning to start upgrading them to Heresy IIIs, so I'll see if that narrows the gap. I hope so, because I don't have the room or the money for three more JubScalas or even La Scalas.

For regular music listening, I'll use Straight, for the least amount of alteration of the signal. Ideally, I'd use Pure Direct, but with my Yamaha RX-V750 receiver, Pure Direct switches off the sub, so losing the bottom end is not worth the barely (if at all) noticeable increase in clarity over the Straight setting. With some music, like The Flaming Lips or Pink Floyd, for example, 7-Channel stereo seems more suitable.

In my opinion, at least, the range of surround modes are for when you want a studio recording to sound as if it was made in a jazz club, concert hall, arena, or whatever, but to hear the music the way it was actually recorded, the Straight setting seems like the best way to get there.

I guess when I said "rock the house", I want the gunshots in American Gangster coming from everywhere. I want the engines in Cars to rev up from everywhere too. Since I don't yet have a Blu Ray, I assume my setting for movies may be different from those suggested above.

I have played around with Neo 6, THX, and Dolby settings, but I am not sure which is the intended listening format since American Gangster was watched from my DVR and Cars was not a Blu Ray DVD.

I am not too familiar with Multi Channel - any help?

I agree with others about the sports and music. Thanks for the advice.

• Like 1

I also own the Onkyo TX-SR705 and set it accordingly:

DVD Movies------------DD 5.1 or DTS 5.1(wherever it defaults)

BD Movies--------------D TrueHD or DTS HD MA(wherever it defaults)

HDDVD Movies-------D TrueHD or DTS HD MA or LPCM(wherever it defaults)

DishHD Concerts----wherever it defaults(usually DD 5.1)

CD Music---------------2 channel stereo(2.1)

Radio Tuner------------2 channel stereo(2.1)

As you can see as little processing as possible.

Bill

I guess when I said "rock the house", I want the gunshots in American Gangster coming from everywhere. I want the engines in Cars to rev up from everywhere too.

In most cases, gunshots will come from the front of the room, since the shooter will usually be onscreen, along with nearly all of the action. Sounds heard from the back of the room will usually be ricochets, echoes, or falling debris after an explosion.

In Cars, the engine sounds should only be "everywhere" if you're in the middle of all the cars.

Keep in mind that the surround speakers are mostly for effects and that most sounds will come from the area of the screen, since that's where the director wants your attention to be focussed. Many people, when they first listen to a home theatre with surround sound, wonder why the rear speakers only make sounds occasionally. In most movies, that's the way it was recorded.

If you want the sounds to come from everywhere all the time, try setting your receiver to 7-Channel Stereo. That way, all your 7 (or 5 with a 5.1 setup) speakers will put out sound at a similar level. It will be more difficult to tell where a particular sound is coming from, but you'll be more immersed in all the sounds.

Thanks Islander, that makes a lot of sense. I am thrilled with my system and just wanted to maximize what I have. After reding hundreds of posts, I know that people are always playing around with the settings to find what is the most pleasing.

I guess my next question is how would my receiver "default" to a setting?

• Like 1

I think you misunderstand what the settings are about.

willland nailed it in accuracy and simplicity. If you are watching a dvd use whatever is the dvd encoded with DD or DTS, the same applies to blu ray.

I would spend more time setting my cross-over levels, distance and any other speaker settings your receiver has.

The different sound options are usually used for stereo TV watching and non digital format. You would use them to try to recreate a DD or DTS experience.

I think every body agree on the setting when it comes to music CD or you might consider the 5 ch setting.