forte or klf 20 or rf-5 ?

jerryd

I currently own some 1991 heresey II which I bought new. Absolutely love the sound save they lack low bass on my present 75 w/ch pioneer elite. just bought a tube amp off e-bay and I am waiting for it to arrive. I listen to quite a bit of bass heavy music and want to upgrade to something with fuller sounding lows. For me its sound first, looks second. I really like the look of towers and would prefer klf 20s over forte. I do not want to add sub. I just want simple 2 channel sound. Any advice on how these speakers compare for 2 channel stereo?

thanks in advance.

RF-5's are a fine speaker but I like them for HT.

Never owned KLF-20's but I bet those would make a good 2 channel speaker.

Sorry that you don't like the look of the big box speakers as much as towers but the big-box wins for 2-channel HANDS DOWN.

In my opinion, go for any of these, in reverse order:

Forte or Forte II

Or Chorus or Chorus II

Or with that tube amp, you might wish to step up to the Cornwall or finally La Scala.

N

Thanks guys. I did lots of research on the chinese amps. decided to give one a try. I liked this one because there is a good site about how to modify internals and make it sound even better.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110308528304&ssPageName=ADME:X:AAQ:US:1123

music angel kt88 with upgraded fresh tubes.

and how to tweak

http://www.lampizator.eu/AMPLIFIERS/CHINA/KT88/Music%20Angel%20KT88%20reworking.html

I have heard the choris II. a good friend bought a pair at same week. I thought my speakers sounded good till I heard his. The bass was staggering. leaning toward Forte or maybe even cornwalls. sound first looks second.

I may get ripped on, as I've never heard the klf 20s (only klf 30s) or Fortes. I do have RF 5s and at higher SPLs (not ear wrenching just higher than normal TV watching) these things have tight, deep athoratative bass. I shut my SVS off to listen to 2 ch sometimes. Given the FreqResp on the Klipsch website is accurate in the sense of +/- 3 dB because they will play down to 20 Hz (with roll off but none the less down to 20 Hz).

Well guys after further research I feel safest staying with the heritage line. So the klf 20 and rf 5 are no longer an option. I really tempted to try the cornwall. Got the opproval from the wife for some menacing size speakers. Imagine that. Just bid on the cornwall III on e-bay but they went for 500 more than I wanted to pay. I think I will just look for an extra clean set of fortes.

On a sour note the amp arrived today. It was a major dissappointment. The bass does not sound good at all. very muddy. I wanted to throw up after just a couple of CDs. That "how to mod page" gives good detail on how to make it sound like gold. I may try that. But I am just very discouraged that the seller just plain lied about the sound quality. This would not be my defintion of a good sounding amp. My 15 year old pioneer elite blows it away.

Congrats... you made the right choice. The Forte II certainly isn't the prettiest speaker around, but it can kick some serious butt. I have an HK 430 powering mine and I'm very satisfied. The HK really pumps out a lot of power and isn't harsh at all. I'd go for any of the x30 amps but shoot for a 730 if you can because it has more bypass options than my 430.

forte II in the house. located a mint black pair here local for 475. I will now be needing advice on amp/cd/interconnects.

Nice score on the Fortes! Don't blow any hard earned cash on interconnects. Buy from monoprice.com or bluejeanscable.com if you like fancier looking cables.

As far as the amp you'll have to let us know if you are looking at tube amps, solid state, two channel, surround receiver, etc.

Cambridge Audio makes some incredible CD players.

forte II in the house. located a mint black pair here local for 475. I will now be needing advice on amp/cd/interconnects.

Gratz! I was going to make a sly comment about getting Cornwalls instead. But, I suppose its too late. You'll love the Forte IIs! They will definitely have a MUCH better bottom end than the Heresy IIs.

Daniel

Well the fortes definately have more bass.I am worried it might be too much depnding on how this setup turns out. I have another amp on the way. The "decco" from peachtree audio. Also have Zu audio julian speaker cables and their entry leavel digital cable and power cord. They are running specials on e-bay so I picked them up for piece of mind.

The decco sound like a sweet piece for the price. Some good threads on it around the net. Also considered the outlaw 2150 but the decco sounded like a better deal with Dac included. Input is fed through one tube so tube rollin will be easy, cheap and fun. So to come really alive with a seimans NOS tube form the 70s.

Next item on the list is a decent CD player. Although i have my doubts i will really need anything that great since the DAC in the decco is suppossed to be pretty decent. So I just need a decent transport.

Last I wanted the option of being able to convert music to computer. The decco has USB input so it feeds the DAC with a pure signal. Just gotta figure out whats the best way to get lossless files on the computer.

I got to this too late.

I've owned Forte II's KLF-20's, RF-3's and RF-7's (but not the RF-5)

With what you discribed, I would have gone for the KLF-20's. AMAZING speakers IMHO.

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE my Forte II's and Reference speakers. The KLF-20's are true ROCK MONSTERS and can handle the watts thrown at them.

CLEAN POWER!...They all are good to my ears. But thats just me. Have had klf, rf, kg and other makes (non Klipsch). All in home demos, most of my kids stuff comes from that. That said......1st. Heritage.....2nd either.....Forte and or Chorus (II) with upgrades and the time to sit back and

Enjoy!

In my limited listening experience.... I find that the KLF- 30's are a bit bright, but I'm working on that issue. As far as the low end, I've read that the 20's have better extension... which blows me away, as my 30's hit very hard! And they take it all day long! I recently broke the midrange horn... either screwed too tight or too much low frequency?

m

My 20's were a ;itt;e bright, but I like a bright speaker. My RF-7's have a more "balanced" sound I guess, but to me is lacking on the high end somewhat. My Forte II's have it all, but don't handle the watts as well as the other two. I'll get a bad thump in the offer's or a cracking sound in the mid range on certain CD's.

Overall, my 20's did the best job for me. Having said that, I've never rocked out with Belle's, LS's, or Cornerhorns, or even Cornwalls....The other day I did get a treat of listening to some Cornerhors and was blown away by both their size and sound! Really bad WAF problem though.

My Forte II's have it all, but don't handle the watts as well as the other two. I'll get a bad thump in the offer's or a cracking sound in the mid range on certain CD's.

That is just your amp running out of steam Phil. Once you start clipping you will hear that exact description from a Chorus II or a Forte II. Those speakers have some wild impedance dips. You need a stout amp if you want to step on the throttle. I've had 425 of QSC wpc on my Chorus II's and they didn't even break a sweat. Probably could put a 1000 wpc into them. All they do is get cleaner and hit harder.