Why not?

tommyboy

Why aren't the grills on the Icon speakers removable? For me personally, that would be an instant turn off!

http://www.klipsch.com/images/2643/400x400.aspx

"

Features

• Patent-pending XT Tractrix® Horn technology

• Titanium tweeter creates precise high frequencies

• High-output woofer generates hard-hitting lows

• Removable magnetic grille

Not sure what you're smokin' but every Icon series speaker I look up in the speaker spec area it says Removable magnetic grille. [;)]

Tommyboy isn't smoking anything ... see the Icon VF-36 single speaker image and VF-35 and VF-36 descriptions. The bottom grill is not removable (or more accurately is not designed and built to be removable).

http://www.klipsch.com/products/details/vf-36.aspx Click on the picture of the single VF-36. It does say (actual grille is not removable).

Yes. That's a shame. I'd cry if that were true on the wood models.

And the picture of the single VF-36 does say not removable.

Whew. The WF-35 does have the removable magnetic grille. http://www.klipsch.com/products/details/wf-35.aspx

So it may be that bottom grilles on the VF icons are not removable but are on the WF Icons.

WF-35

Tommyboy isn't smoking anything ... see the Icon VF-36 single speaker image and VF-35 and VF-36 descriptions. The bottom grill is not removable (or more accurately is not designed and built to be removable).

http://www.klipsch.com/products/details/vf-36.aspx Click on the picture of the single VF-36. It does say (actual grille is not removable).

Yes. That's a shame. I'd cry if that were true on the wood models.

And the picture of the single VF-36 does say not removable.

Whew. The WF-35 does have the removable magnetic grille. http://www.klipsch.com/products/details/wf-35.aspx

So it may be that bottom grilles on the VF icons are not removable but are on the WF Icons.

WF-35

See, I"m not as dumb as I look!

• 1 month later...

As far as the "entry level" icon speakers not having a full removable grille is unacceptable. This is something I expect from sounddesign or kraco but not Klipsch. Seriously....you made the grille for the horn tweeter removable, why not just make the whole grille removable? I know there were problems in the past with the synergy series grilles and the plastic pins breaking off, then just use a different design. Honestly, people would pay an extra $50 for this feature. I know that this might not be a "big deal" to some, but I am a working man and darn it, I want to be able to see the drivers for the speakers I am purchasing (and not just on a website) if I am going to plop down $1000. Most people that are going to spend that kind of money (myself included) are making an investment in speakers that they can keep for a very long time. Heck, even the promedia computer satellites have a full removable grille...what's next? Are you guys going to get rid of binding posts and "hard wire" the reference series speakers and make their grilles non-removable? Come'on guys, you are one of the most respected speaker builders in the audio community. Time to get back to basics and start building good quality speakers like you used to do.

I've seen the icon stuff at the big box store and immediately tried to remove the grills to get a peak. With no luck was I able to get them off, maybe I'm slow, I tried both speakers, I 'concur' with tommyboy, no removeable grills. This was a big turn off for me, I like to take the grills off my RF5s to clean them to keep them looking nice and pretty.

• Moderators

For clarity:

The Icon W and X models found in Magnolia and specialty retailers have completely removeable grilles.

The Icon V series in Best Buy has a removable HF grille, but the lower grille is not removable.

I know that this might not be a "big deal" to some, but I am a working man and darn it, I want to be able to see the drivers for the speakers I am purchasing.... Time to get back to basics and start building good quality speakers like you used to do.

Speaking of smokin' funny stuff.... Is truckguy on the right Forum?[:|]

If you are out there TGmc23, not flaming.... per se, but the last sentence just does not speak to the facts of Klipsch build quality. Then.... or now.... Cite for us, if you will, the "decline of Klipsch", give us examples of this assertion.

• Moderators

Honestly, people would pay an extra $50 for this feature. I know that this might not be a "big deal" to some, but I am a working man and darn it, I want to be able to see the drivers for the speakers I am purchasing

We have many other models for you to choose from if you do not like this feature.

I know that this might not be a "big deal" to some, but I am a working man and darn it, I want to be able to see the drivers for the speakers I am purchasing.... Time to get back to basics and start building good quality speakers like you used to do.

Speaking of smokin' funny stuff.... Is truckguy on the right Forum?Indifferent

If you are out there TGmc23, not flaming.... per se, but the last sentence just does not speak to the facts of Klipsch build quality. Then.... or now.... Cite for us, if you will, the "decline of Klipsch", give us examples of this assertion.

I was wanting to say the same thing. Last time I checked, Klipsch speakers were still built pretty darn good! Just because the grills don't come off doesn't mean that they aren't built or sound good. I only started this because I personally like to take the grills off time to time. I never thought anyone would get on here trying to bash on Klipsch. I mean, this is their forum, right? Like Amy said, if you don't like this feature, then get a different series of speakers..............

• 11 years later...

The grills are removable. It is a "tricky" thing, 6 Phillips head screws hold them in place. You have to use a small Phillips head and pop two holes in the upper left and right corners of the grill, where the screws are and unscrew them, then pull the top outwards from under the horn shield covering it, then lift straight up. The whole grill lifts off.

I pulled one, snapped it and then figured it out, I always love a challenge that something is unbreakable or unremovable! challenge accepted... I have both off mine that I have had for 10 years in my business. I like the way they look with the woofers exposed... one grill is fully functioning and able to be put back on, the first one snapped... 

Edited by Brandon Mull