What's your FAVORITE way To...................................

artto

Salt brined for 24 hours , then air dried in the refer with a fan on in for another 48 hours....or you can by an already airdried duck....then just simple salt and Black pepper seasoning, 45 min at 425 ,then 275 until internal temp of 140

Pour off the fat in the pan when done and deglaze with 1/2 cup merlot , 1/4 cup good raspberry vinegar , 2 cups chicken stock.., chopped shallot, fresh thyme, and let reduce buy 1/2.......wisk in 1/2 stick of butter....and viola....roasted air dried duck with a raspberry merlot, burre rouge.......

serve with butternut squash mash and baby arugala....yum yum.....

Inside a Turkey!

And dont' forget the chicken inside the duck. What do they call that, turducken? Sounds crazy but is supposed to be pretty good. I've only ever had duck once and I didn't care for it though it may have just been roasted like a chicken so probably not even close to the way Fenderbender's version.

My brother is bringing a Turducken for Xmas.

qnbbt-eCUCU-scQlC-turducken7sm.jpg

Turduckens - An Hebert's Specialty!

A Turducken is a
delicately deboned turkey that is stuffed with boneless
duck and chicken. A delicious cornbread dressing and
pork stuffing is then added to separate each poultry.
Special seasonings are sprinkled over and into the
entire product. The Turducken is vacuum sealed forcing
the seasonings into the product enhancing flavors and
freshness. All you have to do is put it in the oven. You
are sure to have a meal that will impress even the best
gourmet.

The November 2005 issue of National
Geographic magazine in an article by Calvin Trillin
traced the American origins of the turducken to Maurice,
Louisiana, and "Hebert's Specialty Meats", which has
been making turduckens since 1985 when a local farmer
whose name is lost to history brought in his own birds
and asked Hebert's to prepare them in the now-familiar
style. The company now sells around 3,300 turduckens a
year. They share a friendly rivalry with Paul Prudhomme.

Phone calls to
local meat markets revealed that turducken is gaining in
popularity as a Thanksgiving, Christmas or Easter
Entree. So if you want to serve these unique holiday
birds, don't delay in ordering. If you like our
Turduckens try our new Boudin!

Since the Turduckens beginnings, there a been a variety
of ways and ideas to prepare the Turducken. The most
popular are baking grilling or smoking them. Some say it
would be a delight to fry one, but since there are no
bones, this seems quite impossible. Unless you fry it in
a cage? Well there is a thought.

http://www.hebertsmeats.com/turduckens.asp

Salt brined for 24 hours , then air dried in the refer with a fan on in for another 48 hours....or you can by an already airdried duck....then just simple salt and Black pepper seasoning, 45 min at 425 ,then 275 until internal temp of 140

Pour off the fat in the pan when done and deglaze with 1/2 cup merlot , 1/4 cup good raspberry vinegar , 2 cups chicken stock.., chopped shallot, fresh thyme, and let reduce buy 1/2.......wisk in 1/2 stick of butter....and viola....roasted air dried duck with a raspberry merlot, burre rouge.......

serve with butternut squash mash and baby arugala....yum yum.....

I wish I saw this earlier. Sounds Great.

I love the weber, wood, rotisserie things too, just to lazy right now so this will be done indoors.

I decided (before I saw this) to go with the old fashioned Czech/Polish style. Wash & dry in the fridge for 24 seasoned with Kosher salt, seasoned pepper blend (ground black, green & red bell), caraway seed and ground corriander. Before it goes in the oven stuff with sliced sweet onion, apple and orange. Roast breast down, covered, with cup of water in roaster. 325F a couple hours, turn breast side up, one more hour uncovered.

TIP: My wife thought of this. Instead of using a rack to hold the bird (or any roast), she uses large carrots. No rack to clean up. The carrots are even edible if you like.

A year ago my brother in law bought a turducken and roasted it. BTW, he is an excellent cook.

The bunch of us were not impressed. After carving, you wind up with a pile of what would otherwise be left-over turkey, duck, and chicken all mixed up.

Each meat interfered with the clear flavor and texture of the others to my way of tasting.

It was interesting to see what people were talking about. However, we will not be doing it again. In my view, it is little wonder it did not catch on. Maybe if one or more of the fowl are wanting in quality, the technique will be of some advantage. However, we have top quality birds of all natures these days.

As the sage writes, YMMV.

Wm McD