Why 50 Watts might sound better than 5...or 500!

jdm56

A nice little solid state amp with a clean and simple design using minimal parts count (especially output devices; one or two pairs is all you need w/ class A/B) may just be the best all-around amplification answer, especially for higher sensitivity speakers. With these, the sound should be clean, yet there will be ample power for life-like sound levels. (Class D is the future though, baby!)

5W glow-in-the-darks may sound fine with ultra-sensitive speakers at low to moderate levels, but even these systems are apt to run out of gas at more life-like spl's.

500W mega-amps are required for low-sensitivity speakers, but regardless of the load, the signal is seeing a lot of circuitry. Multiple pairs of output devices can't do anything positive for transparency, either. (or your electric bill)

because that is what you own, you enjoy it and need reassurance that its good.

That pretty much describes the entire purpose of this forum, I'd say.

Indifferent

I admit that I've been there before......but have learned to be open minded.[:D]

500W mega-amps are required for low-sensitivity speakers, but regardless of the load, the signal is seeing a lot of circuitry. Multiple pairs of output devices can't do anything positive for transparency, either. (or your electric bill)

Since amps don't actually increase power, just use more or less of the 120 volts/1800 watts/15 amperes available at most home wall outlets, is it always a given that a higher-power amp is more complicated, just because it lets through more of the available power?

Shows how little I know about amps, but I'm still curious.

because that is what you own, you enjoy it and need reassurance that its good.

That pretty much describes the entire purpose of this forum, I'd say.

Indifferent

So the guys that own Jubilees really need reassurance??? What are they feeling inadequate about??? Devil

Horn size?

I'll let you know when I get mine. lol