OT: So What's in your humidor?

J.4knee

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, you guys are a big downer. I clicked this thread hoping to find nice cigar talk. I thnk most of us are adults and know the effects of our actions. We are all free to do as we like and bare the consequences of our actions. Being lectured by people high atop a soap box will most likely not change things. Start an anti tobacco thread and rant all you want and I will kindly ignore it. Perhaps you nay-sayers should do the same in this thread. After all as the saying goes - if you can't say something nice....Wink

A month ago or a month from now, the response would likely have been less negative, but with all the feeling right now about OB and what happened to him, are you really surprised? Certainly, you're an adult and allowed to do whatever's legal. I don't think anyone is down on you personally, it just reminds us of very recent pain.

Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think.
Enjoy yourself, while you are in the pink...

When you have a career filled with dealing with the downsides of tobacco it is not easy to see any upside to the product. Admittedly I am overly harpy on this post because of OB. It is tough enough when this happens to people you do not know. But when it takes someone you do know it burns a little deeper. For you smokers, well it is al fun and games until someone pokes an eye out. I hope that it is not any of you but I do know that it will be somebody.

BS.. I miss OB... He knew and accepted the risks. I miss my Aunt who died in an a SUV rollover. You drive one..

You have distroyed a thread like this before which OB contributed too. Not easy to accept but we all die.. We could control it but that is often called suicide. The gene pool is a complicated thing, if cigars are not your thing (guns are not mine) that so be it.

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/t/93449.aspx?PageIndex=1

Man it's been about a year since I smoked a cigar. This reminds me, I should stop at the local smoke shop to see what they have in, I remember the last ones that I had were Mac's and H. Up.

This will give me something to do tomorrow. See this site can get you into a lot of trouble. [Y]

James

When you have a career filled with dealing with the downsides of tobacco it is not easy to see any upside to the product. Admittedly I am overly harpy on this post because of OB. It is tough enough when this happens to people you do not know. But when it takes someone you do know it burns a little deeper. For you smokers, well it is al fun and games until someone pokes an eye out. I hope that it is not any of you but I do know that it will be somebody.

Get over yourself. I get it you work in the medical profession - good for you. You have stated your feelings and are trying to change peoples minds, while that might be a lofty and worthy goal from an academic stand point. You go about it in the wrong way with your condescending attitude and holier then the rest of us attitude. You stated your case now go somewhere else and let us be.

From what I can tell and from the forum members I have personally met we are all, for the most part, pretty well educated and able to weigh the risks and rewards of our deeds and actions. Start up an anti-smoking thread and type what you like and I promise I won't post anything. JBart already pointed out one thread that went south. Why spoil the fun for the rest of us with your cat turd in the sand box? One of the things I like most about the Klipsch forum is that while a lot of people have differences for the most part everyone respects those differences and things don't get too out of hand. Please just spare us the same rhetoric over and over and leave us alone to ignorantly rant on about cigars. You can quietly make fun of us behind our collective back knowing that you are right.

Sorry bout that cigar guys/gals. As a one or two cigar a month guy I find myself thinking about a nice stogy more in the colder months. A cigar and port/bourbon or a cigar and nice, heavy, dark beer really seem to be the ticket in the colder months. On the other hand the warmer months lend themselves better to the actual act since I am a self imposed outdoor smoker. Do you all have a preferred "smoking season"? If it is dark 20 degrees and windy, no smoke in the world will get me out on my deck for 45 minutes.[:|]

When I lived in PA there was a great local shop with a back room. Several comfy chairs, coffee brewing and a really nice laid back atmosphere. I really liked that place in the winter. It had to be great for business too, because there was no way I was going to go in there and just light one up. I always bought a few and smoked one of them there. It was also a nice get away when x-mas shopping was taking its toll. You got any places like that by you?

rplace... Friends don't let friends drive drunk or do things they know can harm them. There are reasons for those warnings on tobacco products. If you don't want to take my advice that's your choice. I feel I would be remiss for not sharing my perspective. The advice is for your good, not mine. And actually I have hardly even touched the subject for whatever that's worth.

Smoking will be allowed in the workshop, so long as it's a quality cigar. I'd rather puff on a very occasional tasty tobacco product as stuff twenty or forty nasty cigarettes a day in my mouth. Ugh.

Some of us can enjoy the occasional pleasure of this type without becoming hooked on nicotine or the ritual of smoking. Others should not try this at home. Hey we've all got some type of guilty pleasure, I doubt if anyone here is perfect weight, with perfect diet, perfect skin, perfect hairline, etc.

Just live the best you can while you can. geesh. We're just trying to have a little fun.

And OE- don't get in the car. Or fly in a plane. Or eat fried chicken. We get your message.

Oscar,

I get your position, now back off. I started this thread for the express purpose of ocassional cigar folks like me who maybe puff once or twice a month to chat up friendly dicussion. I do not pee in your cherrios so quit trying to pee in mine. I like rplace also brew beer, I love a good Brandy/Port/Scotch or for me a Belgian Red or (insert your fav homebrew) and a cigar. Your over the top, overzealous approach is simply not needed or desired here, we know the risk. If you cannot find it in yourself to stay out of threads that don't suit you then take a break for a while.

So, I am thinking about going to the local smoke shop in a few days and was just wondering. Any recommendations, I am looking for singles as I don't have a humidor to store them in so no boxes for me. [:'(]

James

Hmmmm I prefer Maduro wrapped cigars, but really it depends on what you like. My standard is usually something like a Macanudo Maduro, an Onyx Reserve, maybe Pepin Garcia Series JJ Maduro. What type of smoke floats yer boat? Full body/flavor, medium, mild?? I kind of got started by taking recommendations from my local tobacconist. And then just kind of experimented until I found something that I liked. I would recommend you get a humidor, whenever I buy cigars they always go into my humidor for a couple weeks before I smoke em.

Full body/flavor, medium, mild??

Maybe a more medium the mild. The only things I have had in the past were those, I never had a Maduro wrapped cigar.

One question about the humidor, does it really come down to price. The more expensive the better or will something for under $100 do for one that can hold 30 or so?

James

James, proper cigar storage cannot be overstated. I have a small desktop humidor I built from some scavanged mahogany, with cedar liner. But I don't keep the humidity properly and last summer suffered the fate of the tobacco bug, which eats tiny pinholes in the valuable leaves. I lost several prized smokes.

What type of smoke do you prefer? For the hot, spicy- I like the Mexican Te-Amo, several here have noted it. For a peppery-spice with leather tones, Hoya de Nicaragua is a fave of mine. My 'everyday' smoke is a Punch London Club (lonsdale length- about 20 min smoke), in the dark Maduro wrapper for rich spicy taste. If you're a connoisseur of the milder flavors, a Macanudo, A. Fuente, or Nat Sherman might suit you. I also enjoy Henry Clay, which is a 'earthy' flavor, medium bodied and woody tasting. Hope this helps.

Or just stop in sometime, we'll crank some tunes and fire one up! [;)]

Purchase a grab bag of various sizes and wrapper types to educate your palate.

Here's another tip. Larger ring gauge cigars will typically be comprised of several leaves, which gives the maker a chance to create a blend of flavors, in addition to the very important wrapper leaf. I find sizes above 48 to be best in this regard, although I enjoy smaller smokes on occasion. To get the most bang for your buck, invest in several sizes until you get comfortable smoking. I hate to relight a cigar, but equally dislike wasting costly tobacco by putting them out early. Therefore, smoke the proper size for the length of smoking session.

The old idea is that while you are enjoying the smoke that you do little else, therefore you relax and your tension flows out as you exhale the smoke.