165 lb TV on top of Belles

USNRET

I know, I know but what I got is what I got. My Mits 62725 DLP weighs around 165. The major base of it is approx the size of one Belle with the screen extrending past that base by 14"+/- on each side. I get my third Belle tomorrow to use for the center to replace an Academy and it is going under the center of the TV. I would like to keep the left and right separated as much as possible but also would like all three to share the load. I ordered 3/8 inch beveled glass tops for the Belles today to protect them. Total area across for the three 30" wide Belles is 128". Length of TV foot print is 58".

Thoughts?????

I'd have to get out my tape measure to visualize it and without knowing the size of your room, it seems that the trio would be kind of close together.

No doubt but for now it is what it is. I might be moving for a job transfer and get a more optimal space but.......

Have you thought of using 3/4 inch plywood? You could stain it or paint it black (just put a cloth between it and your speakers to avoid any long-term stain or colour transfer). No chance of cracking like glass, and if the TV has any pointy bits on the bottom, dents in the plywood won't really matter.

It only comes in 8-foot lengths, but you could use two 64" pieces butted together.

Have you thought of using 3/4 inch plywood? You could stain it or paint it black (just put a cloth between it and your speakers to avoid any long-term stain or colour transfer). No chance of cracking like glass, and if the TV has any pointy bits on the bottom, dents in the plywood won't really matter.

It only comes in 8-foot lengths, but you could use two 64" pieces butted together.

Considered wood but thought I'd like to expose the top of the speakers where visible, and the glass is three pieces one on each speaker cut to top dimension. Also thought that no matter what the fabric would eventually mar/mark the veneer. The center Belle is brand new in box, hate to get a mark on it.

Shopping for glass is amazing; a 300% price difference withing 15 miles. Example 3 ea. 18.5 x 30 x 1/4" sanded edge was $138, another place $50. Got 3 ea 18.5 x 30 x 3/8" with 1' bevels and cushions for $142.

Considered wood but thought I'd like to expose the top of the speakers where visible, and the glass is three pieces one on each speaker cut to top dimension. Also thought that no matter what the fabric would eventually mar/mark the veneer. The center Belle is brand new in box, hate to get a mark on it.

Shopping for glass is amazing; a 300% price difference withing 15 miles. Example 3 ea. 18.5 x 30 x 1/4" sanded edge was $138, another place $50. Got 3 ea 18.5 x 30 x 3/8" with 1' bevels and cushions for $142.

Well , I had no problem with my old 50" DLP , 70lbs . And now I have no problem with my 60" Pioneer plasma , 120+ lbs . 165 lbs should not be an issue .

post-18289-13819427660206_thumb.jpg

remember to use disk tabs with your glass to keep it separate from the wood surface. (they're those little hard plastic nickel sized thingies).

I'm in the 'use another sheet of plywood' school. You want to spread the weight out to the EDGES of the Belle, not the mostly unsupported top section. There's no way I'd set that TV on another sheet of glass. Forget about the aestetics of seeing the top of the Belle, what you really want is a flat black surface so it won't reflect light from the set. Perhpas wrap black fabric around the 3/4, then put it on bumpers and set it on the Belle.

Any chance you are able to make a base for it? Meaning something like a table, top with legs that would just clear the top of the new center Belle. Maybe something with slots in the side for the movies that you currently have under your tv. Plus the cost shouldn't be bad at all then you can stain it to match or paint it black.

In your current setup how much room will you have on each side with the new Belle centered?

James

I have kept heavy TVs on my lascalas and have 3/4 plywood sheets on a towel on top of the lascalas under the TV (like the others have suggested). I have a few of these sheets and use them as needed when I make changes to the room. I have no marks on the speakers and the tops are still flat with no indentations or warping. I would worry about the glass breaking. That just doesn't sound right......165lbs on a piece of glass. Sorry.

What would be a really cool way to go is to get a couple of 36" audio racks , the Belle is 35 3/4" . Place a shelf across connected to the racks and walla , you see where I'm going . There was a pic floating around here where someone had done it . It looked really slick . This is ultimately what I would like to do .

Another thing , have you tried imagining the height your tv will be at when it's sitting on top of the Belle ? I like it but some prefer the tv to be lower . You could pop the top off and float it above the screen . By installing a simple shelf on the bass bin you would lower the tv by almost 11" .

Here is a better pic to show the height .

post-18289-13819427708266_thumb.jpg

Hadn't thought of disecting the center. Jeese, sorta hate to do that to a brand new Belle. TV height will be raised 20", a little high but not extreme (I Hope). I know without asking the CFO I am not getting a new TV.

Sayyyy.....

Here's a thought for you, I don't know if I can describe it very well.

I have some glass shelving that my dad was going to put into a model home (he's a retired developer, did a lot in Hilton Head)

These shelves are maybe 10" wide by...oh... 36" long and they're about one INCH thick. They've been shoved into my garage for 10 years now and I've schlepped then around for 15 years prior to that.

Yes...one inch thick!!! Things weigh a freaking TON. I've got ... maybe 8 of them?

I did something like you're looking at years ago, but what I did was put the shelves between my LaScalas and made a natural table.

What I'd look into here with your space is... would the shelves fit between the two OUTER Belle's and the center Belle. This would give you a platform of clear glass all the way across with only the edges of the Belle's having any weight on them (right where the support might be)

You could put the TV on them and if the dimensions were there, allow all three Belles to essentially, cover the weight of the TV and not the center one. Also, being glass shelves...you now have more storage space for 'nick nacks' that can fall off and otherwise, get in your way!

It certainly might not work and you certainly might hate the idea... I just thought I'd toss it out there for something to chew on.

Aside from that... some NICE looking Belles there!

[Y]

Hadn't thought of disecting the center. Jeese, sorta hate to do that to a brand new Belle. TV height will be raised 20", a little high but not extreme (I Hope). I know without asking the CFO I am not getting a new TV.

No surgeory required to pop the top they come off easily . And the bass bin itself would be a much sturdier platform .

All great ideas guys. Now leaning toward popping the top off the center and also dealing Coytee out of that glass, gotta get some brain cells at work here in a few to think about it. jacksonbart, you're "crushing" me here.

All that aside I finally got it wired in and amazing bass arose from nowhere. Listening to Eagles When Hell Freezes Over and it's thumping. Did my corner placement of the L&R hide bass from them? I had to go make sure the sub was off.