ALK Trachorn vs. Jubilee

tjnif

I was so impressed w/ my modded Khorns

Let us not lose sight of the fact that the Khorns are in and of themselves, a pretty stupendous speaker. Adding various modifications only takes them to an even more stupendous level.

Talking about Khorns, Heritage in general and Jubilees...might be similar to going to a car convention where you're discussing Ferrari's, Porche's, Lambo's, Astin's and the like.... they're ALL in the upper stratosphere and in some ways, they're all better than each other. Perhaps just a matter of what your priority might be.

If you ever get a chance to hear a pair of Jubilees, you will undoubtedly walk away fairly impressed. (unless perhaps it's in the banquet room in Indianapolis [*-)])

I was so impressed w/ my modded Khorns

Let us not lose sight of the fact that the Khorns are in and of themselves, a pretty stupendous speaker. Adding various modifications only takes them to an even more stupendous level.

Talking about Khorns, Heritage in general and Jubilees...might be similar to going to a car convention where you're discussing Ferrari's, Porche's, Lambo's, Astin's and the like.... they're ALL in the upper stratosphere and in some ways, they're all better than each other. Perhaps just a matter of what your priority might be.

If you ever get a chance to hear a pair of Jubilees, you will undoubtedly walk away fairly impressed. (unless perhaps it's in the banquet room in Indianapolis Confused)

Well, thats my point... I guess one can lose sight of how one's system sounds. but.....I'm always searching andi guess never really satisfied. People are FLOORED when they have a listen! I'm pretty sure that my Khorns sound as good as some speakers that are 20K or so. Wishful thinking maybe....??

I'm pretty sure that my Khorns sound as good as some speakers that are 20K or so. Wishful thinking maybe....??

I'd guess you're probably right. I know I felt that way about my Khorns and just about any other system I'd heard (obviously, I hadn't heard them all!)

"I'm pretty sure that my Khorns sound as good as some speakers that are 20K or so. Wishful thinking maybe....??"

Many speakers that inhabit that price point are overrated and a bit of a disappointment. I haven't heard much that sounds better than a modified set of Klipschorns. I think Al's horn is awesome, a significant upgrade from the K-401. You can realize even better performance by losing that tweeter and replacing it with a Beyma CP-25.

"I'm pretty sure that my Khorns sound as good as some speakers that are 20K or so. Wishful thinking maybe....??"

Many speakers that inhabit that price point are overrated and a bit of a disappointment. I haven't heard much that sounds better than a modified set of Klipschorns. I think Al's horn is awesome, a significant upgrade from the K-401. You can realize even better performance by losing that tweeter and replacing it with a Beyma CP-25.

Or lose the tweeter and replace it with nothing.....[:D] Of course, that leads to other things....

Carl.

Man!! I was so impressed w/ my modded Khorns.....I shoukd of kept my mouth shut! Now I will never satisfied until I hear a pair of JUBS!!

Yes, you need to hear a pair of Jubs, but I would not yet contact your Klipsch pro rep with your Visa number to buy a pair of Jubs without hearing them for yourself and quantifying the improvement.

Dean makes some astute comments. He is one person in here who has owned a pair of highly modded Klipschorns (with Trachorns and upgraded mid drivers - JBL 2470s, and Beyma tweeters), and also a pair of nice stock Jubs - with both sets run by quality gear. I have owned Al's Trachorns for a number of years now and have run them with various networks (including Al's extreme slopes and now active) and with many different drivers. They are a major step up from the stock K400 horn.

There is no doubt that by the dimensions (I inch throat vs. 2 inch throat and the size of the horn), the top end of the Jub (with the K402 horn) should sound much better than the Trachorn. But, how much better is an somewhat an interesting question since I am not sure many have heard both Trachorns (with better drivers) against the K402s. To my ears, however, Trachorns have surprised me by sounding much larger than their small throat would indicate. So much so that I do not crave anything more on the top end.

Mark also makes some good comments about the difference in bass sound between the Jub bass bins and the Khorn bass bins. There is no doubt that after having Belles and also Altecs up front, I ended up missing some "punch" in the sound when I switched to Khorns up front. I ended up remedying that in a rather unconventional way.

My only real point is not to prejudge but to listen to yourself and enjoy the journey. Heck, maybe once I hear a nice pair of Jubs I might be floored by the improvement over my little 'ol Trachorn Khorns and I will immediately whip out the plastic. But, until I quantify the difference, I will reserve comment.

Good luck in your quest and enjoy what you have for the moment. I've heard what you are hearing (even with the stock K55 drivers), and it is pretty impressive. Feel free to pm me if you want some other suggestions on the Trachorns.

Carl.

Man Dean and I can
still agree on something........some one better log this in the
official Klipsch Audio event calender for historical purposes.... ;)

LMAO

Preamp:
Juicy Music Blueberry Xtreme, Amps: NOS Valves VRD's, TT: Music Hall
MMF-7 CD/SACD: Sony SCD-333ES, Tuner: Fisher FM-100B, Speakers: Frankenscala's Baby

============================

Just came down from three hours of chillin out to various Windham Hill artists to read this and see if the Pistons won.

An agreement? Did the earth stop rotating as well. ;)

Never heard the Beyma tweeter yet. The Trachorn is quite the excellent upgrade since I have heard it many times but not in my Belles yet. Just in Craig's LaScalas. If I have a few extra bucks i may just pop in the Crites tweeters in 2009.

I just have not the overt need to get the Belles upgraded after the VRDs(thanks Craig) and the crossovers (thanks Dean).

For me a big part of the experience is how asthetically pleaseing the system looks in my living room. I am lucky enough to have walnut pannelling from the 1960s that are a reasonably close match to my Belles.

I am ceretain devottees of the Jubilee are having an excllent experience. I just could not displace my pretty ladies for a speaker upgrade.

Belles Rule!

I just could not displace my pretty ladies for a speaker upgrade.

Belles Rule!

Also agree on the beautiful ladies. That's why when I decided to go with the modded Khorns up front, I could not part with my walnut Belles.

They just moved to the rear. But, they are not neglicted, however. All of my music listening is done with both sets on. Also agree about Craig's incredible VRDs - since they power the rear Belles.

Carl.

I"ve talked to several people who changed out the K55 to JBL 2470 only to go back to the K55! It seems the K55 is hard to beat, but everyones ears hear things a little differently. I have the Crites tweeters installed and am pretty happy over the improvement from the stock unit, are the Beyma's "that much" better?? Where does all this end.....or does it "really" ever end !

I"ve talked to several people who changed out the K55 to JBL 2470 only to go back to the K55! It seems the K55 is hard to beat, but everyones ears hear things a little differently. I have the Crites tweeters installed and am pretty happy over the improvement from the stock unit, are the Beyma's "that much" better?? Where does all this end.....or does it "really" ever end !

All kidding aside, I thought I would never get "done," until recently and then I took a couple more steps - and now I'm done. Honestly, even if I really really loved a pair of Jubs after hearing them (which I'm sure that I will), they would have to coexist in my house with my modded Khorns - because I have the Khorns where I want them.

I agree that in your situation, the K55/Trachorn combo would be pretty hard to beat as far as a three-way configuration goes - especially since you have Al's extreme slopes. Those networks really help the K55 by cutting off its "interesting" upper end - to a glaring halt. In fact, I still run K55s in my rear Belles with extreme slopes (with Altec 511 horns).

As far as tweeters go, boy that is highly subjective. I've owned Crites' tweeters, the Beymas, and JBL 2404s, and have swapped back and forth between the three in the past couple of years. Some really prefer the Beymas over Crites, but others feel just the opposite. My Beymas are actually sitting on a shelf - so if you want a reasonable price on a used pair - let me know. About eight month ago, I went back to Crites' tweeters in my rear Belles and are very happy with them, and my JBL 2404s went to my living room JBLs (my Khorns up front no longer use tweeters - the magic of Altec drivers). Again, you are in a pretty good place with the Khorns set up as they are. You may want to just stand pat with your Khorns for awhile, listen to a pair of Jubs and then decide if you want to make the upgrade. I think Craig's suggestion is pretty good (NOSValves) that one should give major upgrades six months to settle in and evaluate - so that you have a proper point ot reference for any future upgrades.

In the meantime, its all good..............

Carl.

Man Dean and I can still agree on something........some one better log this in the official Klipsch Audio event calender for historical purposes.... ;)

Gosh I miss you guys! :)

TJ - You installed Extreme Slope networks AND the Trachorn. Did you do this both together or install one, listen, then install the other? If the latter, I'm curious which you feel afforded the biggest leap. I'm thinking the networks - yes?

Meagain, I first replaced the stock AA crossovers w/ ALK universals, was a nice improvement, then I rewired the Khorns w/ Cardas solid silver wire (a little stiff to work with) and the crites tweeter. Again their was an improvement on the higher end for sure. I took the plunge on the trachorns and Xtreme slope. Installed horns and used w/ Universals.....Holy crap! Big improvement! I installed the Xtreme slope a week ago......Mmmmm.....It seems to me that there wasnt that much of a difference, especially at "wife tolerating levels". I think (at least to me) the edge goes to the xtreme's at louder levels, not by much though. You really have to go back & forth but I am WAY to lazy to do that, So my vote is go extreme! I would get the Trachorn first or perhaps you can make a deal for the whole setup! Eitherway ( if your like me) your won't be satisfied until you get everything,cause you'll never "really" know until you get it!!

Tjnif, I also agree with your impressions in the quantifiable differences between Trachorns and xtremes - with the Trachorns making much more of a difference. I also first used Trachorns with ALK universals and the improvement was dramatic. Then, I switched to extreme slopes with the Trachorns. The ALK universals are a little fuller sounding at "wife tolerating levels," but I usually let it rip downstairs in excess of that volume (high spls) - which is where the extremes really shine and have the advantage due to far less overlap between the drivers (almost none).

Carl.

• Like 1

Tjnif, I also agree with your impressions in the quantifiable differences between Trachorns and xtremes - with the Trachorns making much more of a difference. I also first used Trachorns with ALK universals and the improvement was dramatic. Then, I switched to extreme slopes with the Trachorns. The ALK universals are a little fuller sounding at "wife tolerating levels," but I usually let it rip downstairs in excess of that volume (high spls) - which is where the extremes really shine and have the advantage due to far less overlap between the drivers (almost none).

Carl.

Well, the question arises.....which network is "REALLY" the better one. What exactly is high volume and how often do you really push it?? Even my "Wife tolerating" levels are LOUD, Sooo.....At what levels do you really listen too?? I wish there was an easy (albeit) quick way to change over crossovers from "easy listening" to "all out assault"!!

(my Khorns up front no longer use tweeters - the magic of Altec drivers).

Now this is a statement I find very very interesting. Is this without digital eq and boost etc. I've been reading about the 902 drivers and have not found a bad thing written about them.

Carl,

Kind of interesting. I myself don't crank the volume control all that often but when I do I smile... I've had extreme slopes here thanks to a couple week loan from Al K. I actually found the abrupt cut off of the drivers to be annoying at "wife tolerating levels" I could actually hear the lack of overlap when the same note played out of two drivers at once. I don't remember being overly impressed at ear splitting levels but I don't recall leaning on them hard. Not to say I was totally unhappy with the sound just could not find a reason to spend the extra $ over my extreme parts versions of the ALK Jr's I had Dean built for me. I really am totally happy with my ALK Jrs.... I also built a set of ALK universals for a customer ages ago with Solens and all the other parts that AL recommended years back but that was so long ago and my system has changed so drastically since I just could not venture an opinion on them. I know they did sound leaps and bounds better then the stock Klipsch AA I was running but we all know that is apples to oranges.

Craig