do speaker wires matter?

hdgamerdude

Well you are sure to get responses on both sides of the fence on this one. In my experience, most cables the box stores sell (Monster Cable, etc.) offer little performance improvement over generic interconnects and zip cord. Most any cable will sound different from another but to realize an improvement, I think one must spend a bit more and often the system (i.e., the equipment, the source, and the room acoustics) may not justify the expense. My favorite cables are Kimber and Nordost and both offer excellent products at their entry levels. Buying cables used on Audiogon are a great way to save money and as a bonus they are already burned in (something that some cables take a very long time to do). Having said that, you can still obtain excellent results (as many members here do) using your garden variety 16 or 18 gauge zip cord. At the very least I'd suggest using zip cord before you purchase something better just so you have a reference to compare to. Then, should you upgrade you will appreciate the difference between cables more easily. I recently bought some Kimber 4tc for my brother to upgrade his old Monster Cable and he was quite beside himself in the difference heard. He was not a believer, now he is. Compare for yourself and decide. Good luck!

I don't know how long your runs are, but I use 12 ga for everything. I'm in the camp that I can't tell the difference - I just get ones that are sturdy and reasonably priced, which IMO includes Carol Cable (think I got that at Home Depot - probably also at www.partsexpress.com). www.monoprice.com might have some. And you might stumble on a good deal at www.accessories4less.com.

One thing you will find out with Monster cable is that after several years it will turn green inside with the corrosion that builds up in it.....it's very low quality wire unless you get their higher grades. I've torn out quite a bit of it lately on different jobs.

Also just for fun, borrow someones really high grade interconnect or speaker wire and put it in just the left channel...then switch back and forth channels to see if you hear a difference from your old cheap stuff you still have in your right channel( get some other people to listen as well). Let us know what you find.

Get a 100' or 200' roll of 14 gauge and you'll be set. 14 gauge for your longer runs and you will have peace of mind that you're not restricting anything. Home Depot sells 200' rolls for.....if I remember correctly.....$75.00.

Get a 100' or 200' roll of 14 gauge and you'll be set. 14 gauge for your longer runs and you will have peace of mind that you're not restricting anything. Home Depot sells 200' rolls for.....if I remember correctly.....$75.00.

Monoprice sells in-wall rated 14 ga for $54 on a 250' roll ;)

I use at least 12 gauge cable on every speaker, Home Depot for the long surround speaker runs and generic fine-strand "home theater" for the center speaker. For the main speakers, I decided not to hold back and went for 8 gauge for the woofers and 10 gauge for the tweeters, both knukonceptz Karma Kable, in a bi-amped setup.

Having said that, 14 gauge is probably all you need. It will sound a bit better than 18 gauge.

wait, so what causes the monster cables to turn green?

Oxidation will do that to any speaker wire, not just Monster.

So is 14 gauage better then 18? Woudl that mean 12 is better then 14 and would sound better?

Yes, to the point that the lower the number the thicker the wire will be. Just make sure that you use the proper wire ga for the proper run that you have. That was posted by Groomlakearea51 on the first page, take a look at that link and ask any questions after that.

James