Stereo Reciever 50 WPC not enough? (Do I trust you or klipsch support?)

Pauw

Some of you may have responded to my previous thread I thank you for it. However, I will most definitely buy the rb-61 bookshelf pair. Based on what i've read, I have narrowed the stereo recievers down to either the yamaha rx-397,yamaha rx-497, or yamaha rx-797. The watts delivered per reciever are 50, 75, 100 watts respectivly. Now one of you said the rx-397 50 WPC would be plenty to drive the 100 Watt per speaker Rb-61s. I emailed klipsch support on the same issue who said . "You would want to get an
amplifier/receiver with at least 100 watts per channel.[:S]"

Who do I trust, you or klipsch support?[:#]

Thanks for your input

• Moderators

Any of those would work just fine.

If you can Afford the 797 get it. This will provide you with extra head room, so your speakers won't Clip (if you play loud music).................but you'd be just fine with the 397 Model.

Exactly, you would be shocked what 20 wpc would do, probably only take 2 or 3 watts to get to 100 dB, but if you can get the 797 go with that.

With SS amplifiers you need plenty of headroom to stay way clear of clipping.... Get bigger or get a good tube amp...

I agree with Craig... With ss more is always better....

If your gonna turn the volume anywhere near 1/2 way up on the volume knob. (To get your desired loudness effect) get more power.. If this is for HT you will find movies like Batman,Cars etc.need it too...

Any difference in the features too as you go up?

How do you all feel about 2 channel recievers vs multi? I'm pretty set on a two channel one, and from

what I understand, this yamaha has a subwoofer jack. Could it drive say an rw-12d with both rb 61s?

The 797 has a net power of 200 watts, sorry if this sounds novice (I know it is!)

but does the mamoth 1200 watt rw-12d utilize power from the reciever or is it akin to an amp?

I thnk it is not a matter of whom you can trust. There is not a lot of difference in technical theory between a 50 watt amp and a 100 watt amp from sound performance IMHO. So, like the Certs twins in the old commercial, they're both right. (Certs is a candy mint and a breath mint.) There are technical reasons why power alone is not an issue, but buying a higher powered amp is a good choice.

Generally you'll only be using the first one watt or ten. There is something to the notion that we all need "headroom" but the extra 3 dB of power (doubling of power) is not really a figure of merit to hang your hat on. IMHO, going to a 200 watt amp and and 400 watt amp is not going to give 2x or 4x improvement in sound, even if such is implied in the headroom theory. Of course if you're running at disco levels, that is another issue.

But . . . looking at receiver specs overall, there is a always a trend where the 50 watt amp does not have all the added extra features present in the higher powered ones in a model line. E.g. video switching, more inputs, more sophisticated DSP for home theater, and even a more sophisticated remote control. In this respect, you may well be well advised to go with the higher powered receiver.

The step-up is not too costly in the overall scheme and is an investment in the future of your system . These are good reasons to go for the higher powered receiver in view of such features, even if you will not be using the raw power.

Wm McD

More power is always better, but someone isn't going to say you "need" the best/top model receiver in order to drive your speakers. No matter what anyone tells you, you are the one that it has to sound good for. So to answer your question, trust yourself and your ears.

Sit back and enjoy whatever you end up getting.

James