Duelund upgrade for Kilpschorn

hel-stampes

The 2003 would have the AK-4 networks in them. Those are really nice.

If you really want to upgrade them. If I were you I would contact someone who knows them like the back of there hand and do not need to ask questiong like this.

If I were you I would look into contacting ALK Engineering or contact Bob Crites or Dean G on this forum.

Just my 2 db.

JM

I agree with J-Malotky that the AK-4 is really nice, and that the individuals he suggests can help answer your question.

The AK-4 is a very complicated network that I'm not sure needs upgrading or replacing. Moreover, it has lots of caps that may or not be directly in series with individual drivers, so you may want to be cautious about trying to improve it:

post-12148-1381942836588_thumb.jpg

It is doubtful the AK-4 is in need of an upgrade. It is too new to have age degraded components. I also can't imagine an upgrade for that crossover that will cost less than $1000 (E1200) for each speaker. The components in the AK-4 are good to very good, if not the absolute peak of "audiphile fashion".

One possible upgrade that will improve performance is Bob Crites tweeter. Its response is higher and smoother than the K-77.

One possible upgrade that will improve performance is Bob Crites tweeter. Its response is higher and smoother than the K-77

I tried the Crites tweeter, and something was not compatible IMO. The AK-4 has a very nice blend between the drivers, and returning to the K-77 that came with it sounded better and much more musical.

Yes, the Crites had more extension and more "tweet," and more clarity in the bass, oddly enough. But, it just didn't hang that well with everything else. (There is a possibility that the AK-4 wire labeling caused me not to phase them correctly.)

I'm surprised we don't think the AK4 needs to be re-capped.

I do, and apparently so does Klipsch -- you won't find polyester capacitors in the 60th Anniversary Edition. I think the polyesters are fine for the low pass section, but they have no business inhabiting the rest of the network.

I was told by someone that it involves one resistor. This is my best guess; the backs of the 60th Anniversary Editions are enclosed, and I believe whatever change they made is in the low pass or woofer section. I used to own AK-4 Klipschorns, and have heard them several times in Indy. I've also heard the 60th Anniversay Editions on more than one occasion -- and I can tell you that the presentations from the top sections are pretty different.

I'm a good guesser.

Something I'm wondering about is if that mod is only applied to the 60th Anniversary Edition, or if they also applied it to the standard current production Klipschorn. If not to the latter, then that means the AK-4 is still current production (and I did a bad thing).