OT: How do you make coffee?

Daddy Dee

My favorite way to make coffee is Civil War style:

Get your coffee bean ration from the quartermaster, then head back to the campfire. Throw a handful of the coffee beans into the skillet and parch them a bit over the campfire. Take the skillet away from the fire and set it on the ground. Use the butt of your musket to crush the parched coffee beans, then throw the crushed beans into the coffee pot and add some creek water to fill it. Put the pot on the fire until it has boiled at least ten minutes (to kill microscopic critters in the creek water). Add a dash of cold creek water to the pot to settle the grounds, pour it up and add whatever condiments you have available.

If you are eating hard tack for breakfast, you can crumble it up and put in your coffee, just skim off the weevils and weevil worms that come up to the top of the cup before drinking (unless you have a protein deprived diet, whence you can eat them too!).

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My favorite way to make coffee is Civil War style:

Get your coffee bean ration from the quartermaster, then head back to the campfire.  Throw a handful of the coffee beans into the skillet and parch them a bit over the campfire. Take the skillet away from the fire and set it on the ground.  Use the butt of your musket to crush the parched coffee beans, then throw the crushed beans into the coffee pot and add some creek water to fill it.  Put the pot on the fire until it has boiled at least ten minutes (to kill microscopic critters in the creek water).  Add a dash of cold creek water to the pot to settle the grounds, pour it up and add whatever condiments you have available.

If you are eating hard tack for breakfast, you can crumble it up and put in your coffee, just skim off the weevils and weevil worms that come up to the top of the cup before drinking (unless you have a protein deprived diet, whence you can  eat them too!).

ummm I think I will pass on coffee at Andy's.

RO water is great for a lot of things but coffee isn't one of the things it is best for. You need trace minerals in the water to give the coffee life, with RO water, you get a dead, flat taste. If you want to use RO, add about a cup of tap water per quart of RO water, the results are much better.

Also, 185 is still a little cool, an easy way to hit the temp mark is with an electric kettle. Let it heat until it shuts off which is just below a boil, then let it cool down for about a minute or so, the result is the proper water temp without any fuss.

People, PLEASE, STARBUCKS (*$) just is not good coffee!! They started out on the right track (I have an early book published by them and they say all the right things) but as the size of the corp. took over, they started BURNING the beans in the roast to keep the flavor the same in every store, with burnt beans all you taste is the roast, the flavor and nuances of the beans are lost forever. If they are your benchmark, you are indeed in the Bose quality of coffee, OK for the mass markets but markedly missing in the full flavor of quality output.

The COFFEETEAM maker is indeed a good one but it is ranked only as high as a standard set of 1977 Khorns with old caps and outdated Xovers, MUCH better than the norm but not quite up to the mark anymore. Don't get me wrong, I had my parrents buy one when they needed a coffee maker but did not want to spend the money on a HIGH QUALITY maker. They like the timer (a bane to quality coffee for sure) and did not want to be without a pot that would turn it's self on for them. One good thing with the Coffee team is that it uses a good quality burr grinder but there is still a large amount of old, stale coffee grounds in the channel from the grinder to the brew basket. It does indeed get hot enough and the quality of the grinder with the proper heat does indeed brew a better quality cup than all lesser makers but a TV is still the gold standard of auto drip pots. I say again, an electric kettle, a manual drip cone (gold) and a good starter grinder (no blade "grinders" need apply) and you can turn out a VERY good cup, better than all the first or second wave coffee shops and on a par with third wave coffee shops, PROVIDED, YOUR ROASTED BEANS ARE NO MORE THAN 2 WEEKS FROM THE DAY THEY WERE ROASTED, NOT THE "BEST BY" DATE! This counts out ALL Starbucks coffees, please use one of the coffee sellers I listed in my last post!!!!!!!

As to ANY full auto machine that uses pods, capsules or any other form of pre packaged ground coffee, you are only throwing money away, the resultant cup is mid level at best, and dreadfull most of the time

Am I a coffee snob? I guess so but I am drinking EXCELENT coffee when most here are drinking used motor oil sludge. You do NOT need to stay with the motor oil, you can step up to GREAT coffee but it will be, easy and expensive or requires a little effort from you and very price friendly but you can not have price frinedly and easy (no work on your part) and high quality.

Sorry.

I love my coffee.

I find it hard to believe that I am the only one using a KitchenAid "A9" burr grinder from the 1960's; it's still going strong into the 21st century.

I grind enough DunkinD regular to make 2 or 3 cups (if the GF will be around to drink it - she says it's the best around (!))

Dump it in the Braun 12 cup auto - drip.

Add Ice cold Poland Spring and flip the switch.

I love my coffee...