OT: How do you make coffee?

Daddy Dee

I've read an occasional post on the forum from members who love coffee made in a French press. Sounds pretty good, but it is more work than I'm used to doing and would require buying, IMO, a decent burr coffee grinder, for consistently right size grounds.

Currently my coffee is pretty unimaginative. I use a blade grinder, if using beans, or mostly already ground coffee. The coffee maker is a Bunn, so it has hot water all the time which my wife likes for hot tea, and it's always a quick brew.. I stick my cup under the basket to catch the first good strong cup and then slip the decanter in for the rest of the family.

Any suggestions appreciated.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

cheap Hamilton Beach grinder...GF has a much better Black and Decker coffee bean grinder...8 O'Clock beans, 100% Columbian in the dark brown package...Black and Decker coffee maker...I have always liked the Bunn brand coffee makers for their taste as well as simplicity but I just don't drink enough coffee to have the big Bunn-O-Matic...

Bill

We used to grind Starbucks beans with a Krups mill, then brew with a Starbucks drip-type brewer into a thermal carafe.

Then . . . . .

We discovered Keurig.

http://www.keurig.com/B70.asp?mscsid=NUT5JPQ3M0NU8NTU9B7A95SVCWKEC5T3

You can buy these at Bed, Bath, and Beyond using one of their 20% off coupons.

We discovered Green Mountain Coffees that can be ordered from CoffeeGiant.com (best pricing).

The Green Mountain coffees are delicious and hearty (or light if you choose).

Now we make great coffee, one cup at a time, with no mess. No half used pots dumped into the sink. No fear of running out. You can make a cup every 30 seconds. Many different flavors, so each person can pick their own brew.

Cost is about 45 cents per cup. Same as Starbucks at home. Less if you count the un-drunk coffee poured down the drain.

post-16963-1381942842569_thumb.jpg

yer killing me Bob! LOL [:D]

I take quasi girly-blends (Starbucks Christmas, Gevalia Mocha), bought at the store (because I'm cheap and poor), have the whole bag ground at once (because those little at-home grinders make the most gawdawful racket) and put it in a decent but clean coffee maker. Mine makes the coffee in a little glass lined mini-carafe so it keeps my 2-3 cups hot for quite some time.

That's it.

Sometimes a little flavored creamer when I really want to girly it up. No sugar.

Did I just use Girly twice? arrrggghhh

Did I just use Girly twice? arrrggghhh

In one post!

Better fire up some o those big ole he man Motengators or he man KP's out in the man cave and put on some chest thumpin' rock and roll ... 'cause you're the man, mang!

Don't go getting overly girly on us.

Coytee dancin' to Marie is about all the girlieness we can take.

I wanted something that would make one cup at a time and I like very fresh, strong coffee (actually I would prefer espresso, but I can't afford the machine I want right now).

I stumbled upon this little rig, and it makes a great cup of coffee, quickly, and with little mess. It's called the Aeropress http://www.aerobie.com/Products/aeropress_story.htm

I grind my beans fresh for each cup. Currently I use a cheap Black and Decker blade grinder, but a nice burr grinder is in my future.

Greg

Michael,

medium rare is acceptable for manliness restoration.

All,

thanks for the interesting feedback. One thing I've been wondering, since hearing folks fondness for French press coffee is that the coffee retains it's oils instead of being filtred out through paper.

Would some alternate filter material strain out grounds while leaving oils to pass through?

Dee, when I make French press, we just use the same coffee (preground) that we use in our drip machine. You can get a press for about $20.00 if you shop around. It's extremely easy. Toss in some coffee, add hot water, stir, wait 4 minutes, depress the plunger (tell it that it's fat) and pour. No special grinder necessary. I've got a Rocky grinder for my espresso machine, but I never use it for French press.

I drink iced coffee (it gets really hot in the desert).

I buy chocolate flavored beans at the grocery store and grind them for each pot. As soon as the pot is done I take it off of the maker and let it sit out until it cools off. Then I pour it into a contaner and put it in the fridge. Every morning I pour a cup add some milk and sweetener and I am ready to go.

Would some alternate filter material strain out grounds while leaving oils to pass through?

There's really not a lot of grounds in your cup, some, but not a lot. The screen is pretty fine on the press.

you could probably use some sort of nylon mesh but then there we go gettin girly again.

Tigger- iced chocolate coffee with sweetener= girlymang jk [;)]