Trachorn or tweeters?

Audio Flynn

The thread about what people did for their systems this year made me laugh. Upgrades you avoid one year leave discoveries in the next. Avoiding the upgrade bug for a year is tough.

If the economy gets a little better I am thinking my Belles may need a little modding. I have not touched them since Dean made me the ALK Jrs. about 1.5 years ago.

What would you do first?

Tweeters or trachorns?

If tweeters which one?

The thread about what people did for their systems this year made me laugh. Upgrades you avoid one year leave discoveries in the next. Avoiding the upgrade bug for a year is tough.

If the economy gets a little better I am thinking my Belles may need a little modding. I have not touched them since Dean made me the ALK Jrs. about 1.5 years ago.

What would you do first?

Tweeters or trachorns?

If tweeters which one?

Trachorns - It's a slam dunk..........you live in the midrange ----- Tweeters marginal

Trachorn....

No doubt about it....

If you want to play with tweeters come on up here I have at least 2 extra sets that will bolt right in. One set of Bob Crites new replacements and one of his early endeavers with a stock klispch K77 with some type of extra large heavy duty magnet or something Dean talked me into LOL!!

I'm now using the proper Eminence baby cheek horn lense designed for the APT-50 driver http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=290-530 that Bob is using in his current aftermarket tweeter. I think AL K. can fit a baby cheek type horn in his trachorn modification for a Bell speaker. Nice thing about the Eminence APT-200 tweeter and Bob bolt in replacement is it seems to blend perfectly without tweeter attentuation.

Parts Express APT-200 Tweeter

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=290-536

I'm now using the proper Eminence baby cheek horn lense designed for the APT-50 driver http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=290-530 that Bob is using in his current aftermarket tweeter. I think AL K. can fit a baby cheek type horn in his trachorn modification for a Bell speaker. Nice thing about the Eminence APT-200 tweeter and Bob bolt in replacement is it seems to blend perfectly without tweeter attentuation.

Parts Express APT-200 Tweeter

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=290-536

I put some APT-150 tweeters on top of my LS, and the difference is HUGE! It is the same APT-50 driver on a 100x50 horn. I still have Bob's CT125s mounted in the cabinet.

I had a feeling I was going to have to do some "surgery "on the ladies to go to the next level.

I will have to read up on the details it has been well over a year since I read about the process to integrate the trachorns intothhe Belles and it has been a rough year.

Perhaps someone can tell me if this apt-50 driver with adaptor will work on the tweets of my 77 Cornwalls?

It seems that sometimes I'm missing a bit of upper end extension but not sure if it's the tweeter or the limited bandwidth of my 2A3 mono's.

Thanks, Greg

Perhaps someone can tell me if this apt-50 driver with adaptor will work on the tweets of my 77 Cornwalls?

It seems that sometimes I'm missing a bit of upper end extension but not sure if it's the tweeter or the limited bandwidth of my 2A3 mono's.

Thanks, Greg

Could be a little of both..... Bob Crites sells a bolt in replacement tweeter that utilized the APT-50 driver...

What would you do first?

Tweeters or trachorns?

If tweeters which one?

Trachorns - It's a slam dunk..........you live in the midrange ----- Tweeters marginal

Positively, absolutely 100% agree! Trachorns first, followed by ALK's "Extreme Slope" networks... tweeters pretty much last.

Have a super weekend!

Rob

"tweeters pretty much last."

I think the K77 sounds like a nail; bright, but no real high end. I would replace it before blowing big bucks on the networks.

Depends on the amp.

Absolutely true... And the "big bucks" spent on the "ES" networks was money [very] well spent, not "blown" by any stretch of the imagination.

Rob

"tweeters pretty much last."

I think the K77 sounds like a nail; bright, but no real high end. I would replace it before blowing big bucks on the networks.

Depends on the amp.

Absolutely true... And the "big bucks" spent on the "ES" networks was money [very] well spent, not "blown" by any stretch of the imagination.

Rob

I think I gotta side with djk on this one.....

No amplifier or xover will fix distortion/resonances from a driver unless you're moving the sources out of the passband (which isn't the case in this situation).

Also, xovers need to be designed for the drivers you're using. Buying expensive crossovers first seems totally backwards if you're gonna change the tweets later on. Really, the xover should be modified at the same time as the driver change and the driver should dictate what the xover needs to do.