Budget Tweeter

kg4guy

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Because Parts Express is out of stock on adapters I had to improvise and cut the adapter from the APT 80 horn lens.

Watch out for those digits...

Orange County Speaker includes the adapter in the price when you buy the APT-50 .Wow Dave I like that horn much better where can you get those?

I found those horns on EBay, I think they are from the KSB series speakers.

I think that's right.

It looks like the one I've got in my SC1 center channel, IIRC it has a silk dome compression driver or something in the back.

Something I've noticed with the K77's and with Bob's CT-125 is that the vertical dispersion really seems pretty narrow so switching to one of the other horns may help alot with placement and soundstage.

• 1 month later...
Guest David H

I am please with the tweeters outcome. As for the sound, I have not mounted these in anything for extended use but they sound very good in testing.

Guest David H

The Selenium D250-X is the budget mid driver, however it rolls off 3500-4000hz. Attached is an in room graph of the D250X coupled to my Fastrac Horn.

I am confused. There seems to be 2 different combos.

You are not confused, I simply added another possible combination for those that choose to front mount the tweeter and prefer tractrix lenses.

post-24405-13819512363832_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...
Guest David H

what happens with APT50/APT3 on K703? - waste of real estate?

Dont know, that post just showed up yesterday. The mounting idea should work for that lens as long as it is a one inch.

do you think K94's profile worked out better than the piezo horn - or just different - or not much different? (looking at the saw work makes me think of CTS KSN1142 with its horrible rod-phase plug and dips/peaks - removing some of 1142's plug and threads might help -?) can KSN1016 on stepup compete with APT50 on a rectangular K77 size lens with regard to output and quality?

Guest David H

do you think K94's profile worked out better than the piezo horn - or just different - or not much different?

Because both share the same driver, they are sonically similar.

can KSN1016 on stepup compete with APT50 on a rectangular K77 size lens with regard to output and quality?

The 1016 mated to an APT 50 is definately a suitable replacement for the K-77, I am not sure what you mean by stepup.

(looking at the saw work makes me think of CTS KSN1142 with its horrible rod-phase plug and dips/peaks - removing some of 1142's plug and threads might help -?)

Not sure, may be worth a try.

Guest David H

And not having heard it, what is your opinion worth?

Your reply is uncalled for but correct. I have very little experiance with this tweeter, therefore I would be happy to withdraw my previous comment. However I would not use it based on the limited experience I have had with them.

hi DJK - for Klipsch style application what values for Zoebel and crossover should be considered? - -there's a small chance I cooked a KSN1016 using 1uF highpass - it seemed to lose sensitivity (?) - IIRC my test originally gave ~103 or so dB 2.83vrms 1M - distortion at 103dB/1M/5029hz was ~1/4 of 1%