Home Inspections....

Joe Shmoe

Well, we are getting close to closing on a house...again [8-)]

Gonna hire an inspector this coming week, I have made a list in my head of things I want to be sure to check out..... anything anyone else thinks would be important? Any horror stories?

Also what exactly is involved in de-winterizing? I thought it was maybe just a water issue... turn it off, turn it back on...maybe some anti freeze involved?? Why would I have to hire someone to handle that?

Termites, drainage, moisture in crawlspace, radon, lead based paint, rodents, air leakage, flashing, loose shingles, stains on ceilings, condition of hvac, volatile organic compounds, underground storage tanks, electrical service problems including smoke detection, properly vented gas appliances, rotted wood (especially window/door sills) cracks over door headers, level floors, uneven settleing. Make sure the floors are well supported if you plan to use a turntable[:^)] You are going to have a music room....right?

Tell us about the house such as siding, roof materials, age of systems, one story or two, insulation.......

Here are the two we are looking into & have offers on right now. They have already accepted our offer on the home on Blackmountain, so I guess you could say that we have that one. We then made a final offer on the Copper Corner home, and are waiting for them to respond to that during our 10 day waiting period for inpections etc. on Blackmountain. I will be happy with either home, although I like the location of Copper Corner better, BUT Blackmountain has an unfinished basement.

Residential Listing MLS: 731410 $ 163,000 Current/Active
731410.JPG Single family Ranch style
Bedrooms: 3 Baths: 3

7701 COPPER CORNER DR SE
Caledonia Twp 49316
Kent County Michigan

Schedule a Showing

School District:
Comp Section:
PPN:
Caledonia
41-23-17-101-025
OLDFASHIONEDCAMERAWITHFLASH.GIF
Photos
Legal: Unit 25 Copper Corner Kent County Condom inium Subdivision plan No. 733 Instrumen
Directions: Beltline S to 76th, W to Copper Corner.

Year Built:
Lot Size:
Acreage:
ANSI Sq Ft:
TFLA Sq Ft:
Frontage/Type
Zoning:
73X141X81X137
1,283 / Municipality
0 / Street
RES
Air:
Water:
Sewer:
Assess.
Taxable
Gas/Forced air
Central air
City Water
City Sewer
Exterior:
Garage:
Basement:
Pool:
Fireplace:
Rip Rights:
Water Body:
Wooded:
Vinyl Siding
2 stalls/Attached
Walkout
No
No
None
None
No

Rooms: Entry, Dining area, Kitchen, Main floor utility, Master bedroom/bath, Bedroom, Bathroom DOWN:RR, Bedroom, Bathroom, STORAGE
Features: Deck
Appliances: None
Outbuildings: None
LandScape: None
Pool: None

Terms: Conv Mtg Cash
Possession: A/C
Listing Comments:
A beautiful home in Caledonia school district! This home features Master Suite, 2 additional bedrooms, deck and attached 2 stall garage. All information Represented herein is approximated and individual verification is recommended. Information is not guaranteed.

MLS#: 739799m $160,000 Residential Pending
Click photo to enlarge or view multi-photos.
Click on Photo to Enlarge
Single Family Ranch Style Site Built Home
Bedrooms: 3
Full/Half Baths: 2/0
2064 BLACKMOUNTAIN DR SE
CALEDONIA, MI 49316
Kent County
TA: Gaines Twp
Rip Rights: None School District: Kentwood
Computer Section: 20 - Gaines Twp.
PPN: 41-22-09-410-006
Legal Description: 41-22-09-410-006 LOT 41* THE VILLAGE SPLIT ON 4-12-2004 FROM 41-22-09-426-001 & 41-222-09-390-008
Directions: 68TH TO CRYSTAL VIEW TO BLACKMOUNTAIN DR TO HOME.
Open House Date Start Time End Time Type Perpetual
General Information
Year Built: 2004 Age: 4 Garage: 2 stalls/Attached Exterior: Vinyl & Brick
Acreage: 0.00 Basement: Daylight Frontage: 80 Heat: Gas/Forced Air
ANSI Sq Ft: 1,407 / Municipality Water: City Water Pool: N Air: Central air
TFLA Sq Ft: 1,407 Sewer: City Sewer Fireplace: 1 Lot Size: 80X134
Lot Wooded: Zoning: RES Driveway: Paved Street Type: Paved
Assess: $93,800 Taxable: $93,800 Special Assess: for Terms: Conv Mtg, Cash
Rooms/Features
Level Room Type Dimnsns Fireplc
1 Bedroom #2
1 Bedroom #3
1 Dining Area
1 Great Room 1
1 Kitchen
1 MasterBD
1 MasterBD
1 Bathroom
Level Bedrooms Full Baths Half Baths
Third 0 0 0
Second 0 0 0
First 3 2 0
Basement 0 0 0
Features: Deck
Outbuildings: None
Pool: None
Landscape: None
Kitchen: None
Appliances: None
Rooms Desc.: GR/FP, KIT, DA, 3 BR, 2 BA.
Comments
Listing Comments: Move in condition! Almost like new. Neutral colors and very open and spacious contemporary floor plan. Master bedroom suite and fireplace in great room. Basement also is plumbed and ready to be finished for more living area. Sold AS IS. All information subject to buyer verification.

PendingDate: 01/07/2009 PrjClsDate: 02/20/2009

Honest home inspection may be a bit of a problem.

The inspectors that work with the realtor are usually sock puppets, If they find anything (outside of the obvious), the realtor will not give future business to them (and tell other realtors, effectively blacklisting the honest inspector).

I would consider hiring somone outside of your area, explain why you are doing this, pay his extra fee for travel, and make sure he carries insurance (in case you have to sue him).

Joe,

Those are both lovely looking homes. I think the most important thing, you have already done. That's having an inspector to do the work. It has been mentioned and I think it is appropriate to make sure you have an inspector who is looking out for your interests. I've been burned by an inspector who was working for the realtor.

djk- That does make good sense, It really didn't even dawn on me to think about that. I will look into finding someone Monday.

Seadog- Thanks for the list, I have printed it out & will use it myself. It's pretty handy to have it all listed out like that, because it's easy to get sidetracked while investigating, then forget things you had in mind at the time.

Joe, look at everything yourself, too. Hang out with the inspector, making sure he looks everywhere, too (including crawling around the attic or any crawl space). Ask him to look at anything that concerns you. I'd also check with whatever municipality issued the permits, and take a look at the files to see if any repair work (that was permitted) happened. Find out who the builder is, and ask homeowners who have homes built by him/her how they like their home. Take your camera. Post photos here to get comments on anything questionable. I'm a journeyman carpenter with over 30 years experience, and I'd be happy to answer any specific questions you have (as I'm sure other building professionals here would)(this offer is for any forum member, btw). Feel free to email or PM me. Now, I'm out here in sunny California (73 degree high today![H]), so I'm not so familiar with cold-weather building issues, but others here (also named Greg(g)) are.

Good luck! Both places look great! Are there corners for Khorns???[;)]

Daddy Dee... Our realtor already said he had an inspector on stand by, but after this posting, we are going to get our own.

fini - Thanks for the offer! I would like to know more about de-winterizing... I guess I'll google that and see what comes up. And as far as corners for KHorns... pfft plenty of corners... just no KHorns... unless you were thinking of a house warming gift? [:o]

Thanks also for the comments on the houses... we looked around for quite a while. I just didn't want to settle for something cheaper in a crappy neighborhood. We will be raising three boys, so the better the neighborhood, the better for them.

We will be financing 147k on the Blackmountain house & if accepted about 150k on the Copper Corner home. Both of these at 4 3/4 - 5%! They are both great opportunities to get some instant equity.

Joe, if I find an extra pair of Klipschorns in my garage, they're yours! I just had to struggle to carve out a place for the fake Christmas tree and lighted penguin "NOEL" lawn sign thingie...

Joe, look at everything yourself, too. Hang out with the inspector, making sure he looks everywhere, too (including crawling around the attic or any crawl space). Ask him to look at anything that concerns you. I'd also check with whatever municipality issued the permits, and take a look at the files to see if any repair work (that was permitted) happened. Find out who the builder is, and ask homeowners who have homes built by him/her how they like their home. Take your camera. Post photos here to get comments on anything questionable. I'm a journeyman carpenter with over 30 years experience, and I'd be happy to answer any specific questions you have (as I'm sure other building professionals here would)(this offer is for any forum member, btw). Feel free to email or PM me. Now, I'm out here in sunny California (73 degree high today!Cool), so I'm not so familiar with cold-weather building issues, but others here (also named Greg(g)) are.

Good luck! Both places look great! Are there corners for Khorns???Wink

Joe,

I am in the foundation biz. New construction, foundation repair, and Geo-Con drilled Micro-Piles. Pay attention to the foundation reports as repairs can be expensive. I have customers that own (2-5year old) new $250,000 homes that require $50 to $75K in foundation restoration!

Let me know if I can help.

Finster,

73 degree would be great for my pool-hall tan, but Lynn & I spent this 16 degree morning on the couch in bed clothes, in front of a beautiful fire, sipping (real) Irish Coffee and listening to music[H] I got's to see all four seasons.

tc

Terry, don't worry: 73 is a fluke. It's been cold..well, not as a witch's ***, but close enough for horse shoes. That in-bed Irish coffee morning sounds pretty good! Do you have a king-sized bed? I can be there tomorrow night. Oh, my "bed clothes" are socks. [{][8-)][}]

Terry, don't worry: 73 is a fluke. It's been cold..well, not as a witch's ***, but close enough for horse shoes. That in-bed Irish coffee morning sounds pretty good! Do you have a king-sized bed? I can be there tomorrow night. Oh, my "bed clothes" are socks. Left HugRoll-eyesRight Hug

Greg,

That is a love seat in the LR, not a CA King!

"Oh, my "bed clothes" are socks." Well, Elden is scarred by the thought as am I. Tomorrow is a school night, so I must say no, no and no! [{][6][}]

What djk said about home inspectors is right on the money. It applies to appraisers too. Any bank or realtor "approved" or "recommended" home inspector or appraiser is just a mouthpiece for the entity that they represent. Insist on a truly independent and qualified individual, at the sellers expense. IMHO it wasn't just the banks but also the real estate industry, and the appraisal industry that got us where we are.

Good luck on the Inspection. I am glad you hired your own inspector.

Of the two houses . The first one I noticed says it has a Walk out basement.............this would appeal to me for Safety concerns, in cause you needed an extra exit or moving "Speakers" and such............

Please post more photos of what ever house you decide on............

Good Luck I know this is a stressful time.