Your top 5 audio upgrades

cc1091

Reading all the posts about speaker wires, amplifiers and speaker upgrades makes me wonder about what other people would list as the gratest upgrade to their system(s) they have put together so far (that is..besides adding Klipsch speakers).

For me it would be like this:

#1 Using the digital output from my CD player

#2 Buying a better wire for connecting my CD player's digital output to my receiver's digital input.

#3 Storing my Heresy's and upgrading to the RP3's (though I still miss some aspects of the Heresy's)

#4(tie) Adding a HIGH quality speaker wire.

OR

Upgrading to a high power amp that is a little cleaner than my Receiver's amp (200wpc vs 85wpc AND .03THD vs .07THD)

------------------

Denon AVR-2700

Denon DCD1500-II

Audio Control Octave

Phillips CDR-765

Nakamichi BX-100

Sony PS-LX3

Rotel RB-991

Klipsch Heresy (1981)

Klipsch RP-3

B&W602

MIT Terminator2 Bi-Wire

Computer system:

NAD 7130

Realistic Optimus Pro-7s (its only a computer system)

Klipsch KSW-10

1. big old horn purchase

2. flea powered 2A3 amp

3. SS powered sub-woofer

4. second sub (much better)

5. proper speaker and sub placement

6. vibration isolation platform

7. tube pre-amp

8. Rotel CD player

9. dampening the cabinets

10. equalizer

11. double the wire

oh, yeah, 12. high quality audiophile CDs with instruement solos

13. SPL meter to make sure that listening levels and phase was actually properly set

or something like that, each new change is the most important, until the next one comes along ...

------------------

Colin's Music System Cornwall 1s & Klipsch subs; lights out & tubes glowing!

This message has been edited by Colin on 02-10-2002 at 07:54 AM

Good audio reproduction begins with 1)speakers and 2)amplification. You cannot overspend or overdo in these two areas IMHO. I'll add that a good sub with high quality amplification is a great asset as well. If you get these things working well together, you are well on your way to audio bliss. These are the pricey upgrades though.

So what "upgrades" are cost effective, you might ask? A basic overhaul of system cables help many, especially if they are using the cheap, thin cables furnished by component manufacturers. Believe it or not, many use those cables (and these aren't even good enough to debate quality issues - it's an obvious weak link). Even the cost effective Radio Shack gold tips, and 16 to 12 ga. monster cable are a good upgrade for these people. For those with better systems, let your ears be your guide - many do report improvements with relatively inexpensive cable upgrades. Most of all, just checking the system over for any obvious weak links or connections, then replacing any worn or cheap cables, helps.

The other audio investment is $40 at Radio Shack for the analog SPL meter. You can use it to tweak the speaker levels on your home theater, and measure the acoustic response of your room. If your room presents particular acoustic problems, this can help you solve those. Speaker placement and room characteristics can be changed to smooth out those problems, and the SPL meter helps with this.

------------------

First we Rock, then we Roll!

Well, can I consider this cool little stereo-link d/a converter I bought to hook up between my computer and my preamp an upgrade? Does'nt make my system sound better but allows me to listen to some 5 gigs of mp3's I would not have been able to with out it. Outside of that:

New preamp tubes

interconnects

room placement of speakers

I've had my Cornwalls set up in different rooms/houses over the years, and there is no doubt in my mind that upgrading your room makes a HUGE difference in the overall sound of a system. Speakers are in a dynamic relationship with the room and the two cannot be separated when it comes to sound reproduction. The importance of the listening room cannot be overstated.

Moving your speakers into an ideal room from a room that has been holding your mighty horns back, will put a three mile smile on your face. In the same vein, nothing is worse than moving from an ideal listening room, to less than ideal - talk about disappointment! I knew a guy who put his Khorns in storage for said reason.

Anyway, hope you guys are doing great!

Andy

P.S. Listening rooms, new houses, etc can be very expensive upgrades!!!

This message has been edited by Klipschguy on 02-09-2002 at 01:14 PM

Well I started out with a Lafayette receiver and speakers. They sounded ok but I knew there had to be better. My next upgrade was a receiver. I fell in love with a Luxman receiver but ended up with a HK receiver. The HK reciever sounded beautiful and was melded with a Denon 1500ll CD player.

However, the ultimate goal was total sperates. This was accomplished when the stock market handed me some cash. I took my profits and bought a B&K AV5000ll amplifier, Sherwood NewCastle Preamp, and of course Klipsch Cornwalls. The Cornwalls were bought new and came delivered in a crate. These boys were big and bold. My wife almost **** herself but heard the sound and agreed that these speakers helped warm the soul. I'm in heaven each time these suckers fire up. I first auditioned Cornwalls in NYC. Harvey Electronics had a large shop with two a gigantic listening room. I tested many award-winning speakers that day using the A/B method and the Corwalls screamed out above the rest with an open airy sound that was dynamic clean and beautiful. I was totally blown away by the Cornwalls. The only other speakers that I would consider today were the B&W Nautilus or Magnepans. I'd like to have three different systems in my house but can only afford one so Klipsch gets the honors. Other upgrades include a Denon 1500ll CD player, monster cable, banana plugs, a KSF C-6 Center and KSF surrounds. The new Klipsch speakers are really a disappointment compared to the older stuff. The plan is to replace these with older Heresy speakers. The most important upgrade was a dedicated amp, great speakers and a good sounding CD player.