Interested in a 67" TV?

Bill H.

Oh Yea, how the Prices have Fallen..............

Enlarge.jpg

Showcase.jpg
PriceAlert.gif HelpIcon.jpg

Samsung

Samsung HL67A510 67" 1080p Widescreen DLP® HDTV

SKU: SAMHL67A510

10,000:1 contrast ratio
Faster color wheel
Cinema Smooth light engine
Samsungs DNIe - Digital Natural Image engine
DLP chips from Texas Instruments
Customer Review: hand_active.jpghand_active.jpghand_active.jpghand_active.jpghand_1st_half_active.jpghand_2nd_half_inactive.jpg

MSRP:
$2,999.00
You Save:
$1,611.00
You Pay
$1,388.00

If I'm not mistaken those big DLPs have a "viewing range". Is that correct? I vaguely remember this. Basically, the proper focal point of the TV is a certain distance back from the TV based on the size of the screen. You have to be able to get back far enough to get the best picture. I can remember at Best Buy some of the big screens were in the 20Ft. range. They had the floor marked. So you need a big room. Does this sound right or am I thinking about a different TV technology?

• Moderators

If I'm not mistaken those big DLPs have a "viewing range". Is that correct? I vaguely remember this. Basically, the proper focal point of the TV is a certain distance back from the TV based on the size of the screen. You have to be able to get back far enough to get the best picture. I can remember at Best Buy some of the big screens were in the 20Ft. range. They had the floor marked. So you need a big room. Does this sound right or am I thinking about a different TV technology?

Not sure how the different technology affects that but I think it is mostly what they call screen door effect. It's like looking through screen, the point when you can see an affect of individual pixels(if I remember correctly).

The better the picture like 1080p would help with that. With standard def if I walk up to our TV I can see it from about 3 feet, but on a HD channel the Tv is 1080I and you can get a foot away and not see it. We sit about 12' back from a 65'' and even on regular channels it's good just not as clear as the HD, the colors are even better in HD.

We got this TV about 3 years ago just when the technology was changing to DLP, it's a CRT rear projection, they are rated very well for blacks and life expectancy but were about a foot deeper and much heavier #260 compared to the DLP.

Yeah, it's crazy how cheap DLPs are now. 5 years ago they were the hottest thing on the market. Now, according to a friend of mine who manages an Ultimate Electronics store, they can't give the things away.

5 years ago they were selling 46 inchers for $4000 and couldn't keep them in stock. They wouldn't even give you a discount on them because of the high demand. And those TVs were only 720p.

5 y.o. 62" DLP here sitting at about 12-13'. My only complaint is the cable card fan noise (runs even when TV is off). They need a way to disable if you don't use cable card. I might have to 'snip it'. Bulbs are about 150 if you buy them with cartridge. I am on my 3rd bulb counting original., they never failed just reached the hour marker and the lamp change advisory came on.

mark,

Are you thinking of the viewing angle of the television rather than the range? I believe one of the major drawbacks of DLP televisions is the more narrow viewing angle when watching. (The image gets progressively worse as you move off to the sides).