Possibly my saddest post........ UPDATE

tommyboy

I worked the drop zone the week of Halloween with a Seal team........ well sort of. They were here to get HALO qualified; wasn't exactly the prettiest picture! Halo qual was the last of their training before becoming active Seal team members. 3 cutaways the first day, luckily with no injuries. Well, that day. the last night jump one guy hit the wind sock, which is a big steel pole, cemented into the ground. Luckily though, it was the last jump, and he only broke his ankle. I can honestly say that, and I don't know if it was just because they were a Seal team or not, but that was easily the most precise, dedicated demonstration of teamwork I have ever seen or been a part of......................

I, too have the deepest respect for all our brave men and women in uniform, regardless of branch or duty station. They are all heros in my book for graciously giving up their own freedoms to take the oath to serve our nation, either at home or on the battlefield.

Anytime I hear about our wounded service members, and especially for the loss of anyone in uniform, it just breaks my heart (I'm teary-eyed right now as I type this, and I don't know any of these soldiers, sailors, airmen and marines personally)! Being an Army vet myself, all patriotic citizens who get that calling to serve know the risks involved, and yet they still continue to volunteer throughout the nation's recruitment centers to this day, even with two wars raging in the Middle East! This says a lot about the character of an American man or woman's heart to be a part of something that's bigger than themselves, to not only serve themselves with the pride of doing something they know is right and just, but to also serve this great nation (flaws and all) and its flag and all the freedoms that we as Americans enjoy (and take for granted).

With the passing of any service member, especially during war, we as Americans need to show our most deepest respects for every single one of these fallen heros, men and women who died for the cause of freedom...I salute you all!

Tommy--glad to hear that your friend will survive. i pray that his recovery is swift and complete.

Also good luck on making E6. I spent 10 years as an E6. It was by choice as my wife had a good job and the kids were getting older and they didn't want to move around anymore. So, I sacrified making Chief, to remain geographically stable. It did get frustrating towards the end of my career--seeing all of my shipmates advance to E7, E8, E9; but, it was my decision and i'm sure my kids were happy that they got to have friends for more than four years at a time.

I wish you well my friend, the military really isn't a bad life--at least for me, it kept me living at the beach for 20 years!

You'd be surprised how much I get asked that question. Not with the military, but when I was in AZ a group of us jumped. It was a tandom from 5,000'. Only time I did it though. In the AF, we don't jump. Only certain people in certain jobs, as riggers, get to get jump qualified. Now, with a divorce and kids under my belt, and this expensive hobby, I can't afford to do it civilian anymore...........

• 5 weeks later...

Well, we just heard today that Doc is doing great, and will be returning to duty in a couple months. This is outstanding news; as we didn't think he would be able to return for duty! His wife and kids just came back home, and he's coming home in about 2 weeks. Then taking 6 weeks of recovery time, then coming back to work!!! [Y]

I, too have the deepest respect for all our brave men and women in uniform, regardless of branch or duty station. They are all heros in my book for graciously giving up their own freedoms to take the oath to serve our nation, either at home or on the battlefield.

Anytime I hear about our wounded service members, and especially for the loss of anyone in uniform, it just breaks my heart (I'm teary-eyed right now as I type this, and I don't know any of these soldiers, sailors, airmen and marines personally)! Being an Army vet myself, all patriotic citizens who get that calling to serve know the risks involved, and yet they still continue to volunteer throughout the nation's recruitment centers to this day, even with two wars raging in the Middle East! This says a lot about the character of an American man or woman's heart to be a part of something that's bigger than themselves, to not only serve themselves with the pride of doing something they know is right and just, but to also serve this great nation (flaws and all) and its flag and all the freedoms that we as Americans enjoy (and take for granted).

With the passing of any service member, especially during war, we as Americans need to show our most deepest respects for every single one of these fallen heros, men and women who died for the cause of freedom...I salute you all!

That was a GREAT post!!![Y]