Ouch! Dang needles!

fini

I had the lovely pleasure of getting a 4-level discogram today. Yeah, they told me it would be uncomfortable, they did not say it would be in the 9/10 range! They had to load me up pretty good with Darvocet (I think), too little too late. Anyone tried one of these lovelies?

895W.jpg

Gregg, no thanks, hope you get some relief mang.

mmmmm darv[:S]cets mmmmm

A good friend of mine is dying of kidney cancer at age 53, a tumor is pushing on his sciatic. He now has a pump implanted in his abdomen that sends a constant trickle of pain meds to a line directly into his spine. Wicked stuff.

Ouch is right!

The diagram just looks painful as all get out.

So are darvocets fun?

None of the meds I ever get end up being enjoyable and some cases I just can't tell they were doing anything...

Went to see a neurosurgeon once just before Christmas and his nurse practicioner put me on Vicoden (long before I heard that Vicoden was that pain killer that Brett Favre got hooked on a few years back) so I wouldn't be in so much pain.

Seems she didn't believe me that it wasn't pain really, just constantly tightened up and more constant discomfort than pain.

I speak, they have ears, act like they're listening, but they seem to have a lot of trouble hearing or understanding language that for all practical purposes sounds just like what they speak, except for the big multiple syllable words I'm not sure they really understand either but sound important.... (and some do listen, well if you can't tell a difference with b over a and a costs 1/4 as much then go back to a)

Took 'em like I was supposed to for a couple of days .... couldn't tell any difference so sat in the cupboard until we finally disposed of them.....

Of course maybe they tranquilized me a bit and the family got a break?

Now I do notice a difference when I quit things before tests or something but are the meds helping that much or is it just withdrawal? Gotta wonder sometimes.....

Had these, nerve root injections and more..... You sorta got used to it after awhile. Seriously you usually go through these things because you hurt and your hoping, begging for some sort of relief. When one of the nerve trunks gets pinched (or in my case clipped) all you can do is sit and moan. All of the muscles around it just spasm. I have part of my right arm where there is a sizable muscle where there usually isn't one very evident. It is a small muscle used in some collateral movement that has grown big because of spasms due to chronic pain. I have a clipped nerve root at C6 that runs underneath that muscle and all the way down to my thumb. My neck is fused and plated at 2 levels and I had lower back surgery last year. Born with crappy bones.

Gregg,

wow. ouch indeed. I notice in the medical illustration, the figure is curled up in the fetal position. No wonder. In that much pain, they don't have to ask you to assume the position. It comes out of reflexive instinct, I imagine.

Were the docs able to tell you anything helpful regarding treatment?

Next time ask for Fentanyl!

I just looked that up. 80 times the potency of morphine! Wow! They did need me to feel the pain for this test...

Until he had his diluaid pump installed, Dale wore two fentanyl patches at a time. This is severe. He got pnemonia over the weekend and they didnt' think he'd make it through the night. Doc's proclaimed him 'the sickest guy in the hospital' yesterday. I spent 6 hours there today just hanging out so his wife could go home for a nap. He's doing a bit better. At least he was finally sleeping a bit when I left. Lack of sleep due to pain is more than an inconvenience.

Good to hear that you're doing better Fini.

I had to have that done about 15 years ago. The procedure did not hurt at all, until they rolled me back onto my back. They were rolling me using the sheet for support, when one of the nurses let her hand slip, & I suddenly rolled flat down. I think they heard me 3 floors up. I had to stay 3 extra days recovering from the drop.