Again on Jubilee...

john3419

Hi everybody, a big greet to all of you from the old Italy. As you see, that's my first post here and the question is again on Jubs...

Well, i read many threads here on this wonderful speaker (certainly not all an not all the messages) but there's stil something i miss...Going straight to the point, i also read the thread of one lucky mate of us, who had a pair of Jubs as Christmas present from his wonderful wife... Well, it seemed to me that he (his wife) ordered the speakers directly from Klipsch (i saw pics with the Fedex truck...) but, for what i know, these speakers are discontinued at the moment or they even have never been placed on the market except for the pro version (that doesn't seem the one they were talking about in that thread...).

Have i understood right or have i misunderstoot or missed up something?!? In any case, what is the price for a couple of 2 ways Jubilees bought directly from Klipsch (if possible) or anywhere else or even built by someone if it's the only choice (except for the drivers, horns & crossovers, of course)? And what about the 3 ways version?

I apologize for so many questions and thanks you all in advaance for answering

Giovanni

Hi Giovanni & welcome to the forum.

he (his wife) ordered the speakers directly from Klipsch

Everyone that has bought them ordered them the same way... we contacted Roy (of Klipsch) and he put us in contact with one of their commercial dealers who was the actual person taking the order/money. By virtue of the order going to Roy first, he had a heads up on what was happening because our configuration is a bit different than the standard cinema (3-way) version.

these speakers are discontinued at the moment or they even have never been placed on the market except for the pro version (that doesn't seem the one they were talking about in that thread...).

Everyone has bought them through the 'pro department' or what ever we may call that. They are not on the market in the home/furniture version although at least one person has ordered his with some pretty veneer on the front making his perhaps, a bit easier to dress up when he gets them home. Most everyone else has them in black (which certainly makes them look thin, right? [;)])

what is the price for a couple of 2 ways Jubilees

You're in Italy so it's probalby going to be different for you.... for US buyers, they are "about $7,000 USD" for a pair of them in a 2 way format, delivered to their door. I think Ralph in London bought his and because of the exchange rate being favorable, the cost to him after shipping was also about the same price as we were paying domestically. There is a pair in Cologne (Koln?) Germany as well as Ralphs in London.

And what about the 3 ways version?

What's their cost? (no idea)

You don't need the 3-way version in a home situation because they split the output on that with the intent that it will be pumping out high SPL's and they don't want to blow drivers. For home use, I can quite assure you that the 2-way version will be more than adequate to ruin your hearing, should you be so inclined.

Hope that helps some. Questions usually bring answers which brings more questions.... then the party begins...[:P]

Don't you also have to add in the Price of the Crossovers on top of the 7,000.00 ? ...I don't remeber how much more that adds to the Cost...............

Excellent point and my apologies to him for forgetting that.... (then again, he might already have something in his pocket?)

The Jubilee owners have primarily gone with active crossovers, via either the Electrovoice Dx38 (about $1,200 new) or Crown Xti amps. Some have gone passive and I guess you can build those for $600 up to $3,000 depending on how fancy you might want to go.

Hi Giovanni,

Good to see you post here. I've found that one should never judge a speaker good or bad except with one's own ears. I have not heard this theater speaker as of yet because no one will tell me the name of a theater that has one. There are several people who have a pair of them in their homes though. I know I wouldn't spend many thousands of dollars on something without first hearing it but maybe I'm just more skeptical than most people. I've seen a lot in my time. Audiogon is full of audiophiles who bought the hype of a stereo component and were disappointed and put it right up for sale again. The careful shopper avoids a lot of heartache by auditioning before buying.

Regards.

Hi guys thanks again to all of you of your answers and your welcome. Well, i realize that living in USA gives you many more opportunities...

I'm excited to know that i could buy a REAL Jubilee, directly from Klipsch, even at a very reasonable price (no matter on shipment cost) even if i'll have to wait at least until the end of this year because of my just born son (last december, 19) and because of the fact that i have to completely reproject the room where they have to be placed... In any case, this speaker is definitively my target!!! I've already drown a map of the room in scale, putting in the corners two scale Jubs, printed from the project found here on this forum and...well, i think i can do it! :D

I'll leave more technical questions for a later moment, except for the following (cause i'm planning many changes or, better, adds to my equipment...):

assuming i'll choose the version without passive crossovers, what will be the suggested crossover frequency to set on the active external crossover? I'll explain my question later, if needed, but, in a word, i'm looking for alternatives to the Crown crossover...;)

Thanks again for your answers

Hi Giovanni,

Good to see you post here. I've found that one should never judge a speaker good or bad except with one's own ears. I have not heard this theater speaker as of yet because no one will tell me the name of a theater that has one...

Regards.

Hi Robin, i understand what you mean and in general i totally agree with you, you're perfectly right, imho. But, in this case, considering you haven't still had the opportunity to listen to this speaker there in USA, you understand how easy can be to have a listen to it here in Italy...Should be easier to speak with our President! I'm not joking, i really don't know if there's a couple here in Italy (i think not).

So...i simply follow the heart!!;) I like Klipschorn a lot, i don't think i'll be disappointed with these...and in any case, the only other horn speaker i'd prefer to Khorns (it's a custom one) it's really too expensive to me and doesn't have any history, expecially if compared to Jubs... Yeah, i'll follow the heart, as i said...:);)

In the worst case, i'll make really happy another italian (but i think that italian will be me...:D)

many of us are using the Electrovoice Dx38. It's a 2 in, 4 out active and will do everything you need it to do.

I don't know all the technical stuff but we're crossing it over at 450hz. We used to use 500hz. I've heard terms like "acoustical" and "electronic" crossover point used so I don't know if the speaker THINKS it's doing 500 or what... bottom line, we're using 450.

If you ever DO look into a pair of Jubilees, you could probably order the Dx with same order. Also, you can probably find a Dx used for a couple hundred dollars less.

If this happens, any of us who have it could simply email you the Dx RACE file (software available on line) and you could simply upload it to your Dx and be done. Programming it by hand is NOT difficult...trust me...if a dummy like me can do it, then Blunderboy (Batmans Robin) could also do it!!

http://electrovoice.com/productfamilies/26.html

You can download the RACE program for the Dx38 here, or simply play around with it.

Giovanni,

Good luck to you. Are you going to have them in a big listening room? I saw a picture of one set-up and the speakers were not even 2 meters apart from each other and the listening chair was ridiculously close. My friends and I had a good laugh over that one. [:)] The bigger your room the better for theater speakers.

I have not heard this theater speaker as of yet because no one will tell me the name of a theater that has one.

So if there happens to be a theater let's say, across the country that has Jubilee Cinema speakers. Are you going to travel across the country just to hear a pair of speakers?

Maybe there is a theater (or some sort of venue) out there that uses them, but obviously nobody around here has any idea....it's just a online message board. Did you ever think about calling Klipsch themselves, and asking them if there is any commercial theaters that use the cimema version of the Jubilee?

And if you really want to hear a pair, there is folks that have the non-cimema versions in their homes. Why not ask for a visit and audition a pair from someone who may live locally or wherabouts? I did.............(With the help of Coytee of course.)

Other than that, your line is getting pretty old......not to mention pointless.......

I'll tell you something, Mike my friend, if the Klipsch company is proud of their Jubilee speaker then they can bloody well list where I can hear one. If they have sold them to only one theater and it is in California I am not going to travel across the country to hear them you are right. Would I travel an hour probably yes it could be arranged.

I agree wholeheartedly with your statement but obviously nobody around here has any idea.

Relax and enjoy your tunes.

Hi Giovanni,

Good to see you post here. I've found that one should never judge a speaker good or bad except with one's own ears. I have not heard this theater speaker as of yet because no one will tell me the name of a theater that has one...

Regards.

Hi Robin, i understand what you mean and in general i totally agree with you, you're perfectly right, imho. But, in this case, considering you haven't still had the opportunity to listen to this speaker there in USA, you understand how easy can be to have a listen to it here in Italy...Should be easier to speak with our President! I'm not joking, i really don't know if there's a couple here in Italy (i think not).

So...i simply follow the heart!!;) I like Klipschorn a lot, i don't think i'll be disappointed with these...and in any case, the only other horn speaker i'd prefer to Khorns (it's a custom one) it's really too expensive to me and doesn't have any history, expecially if compared to Jubs... Yeah, i'll follow the heart, as i said...:);)

In the worst case, i'll make really happy another italian (but i think that italian will be me...:D)

Hey John,

I have never heard the Jubilee either, but like you I find some aspects of this speaker to be quite fascinating. Being a former (early model) Klipschorn owner myself, and a current new Belle Klipsch owner, the idea of gigantic horns in my room is very appealing. If I had money to burn, I would love to buy a pair and experiment. But like some other members here, I recommend some caution in buying these. They are obviously not for everybody. Some people are obviously over the moon at their purchase, others are less enthusiastic. All I am saying is that it's an awful lot of money to blow on something you've never heard. Have you considerd the new AK5 Klipschorn?

But as you said, if money isn't an issue and you don't like them, some other lucky Italian will benefit...

I'll tell you something, Mike my friend, if the Klipsch company is proud of their Jubilee speaker then they can bloody well list where I can hear one. If they have sold them to only one theater and it is in California I am not going to travel across the country to hear them you are right. Would I travel an hour probably yes it could be arranged.

I agree wholeheartedly with your statement but obviously nobody around here has any idea.

Relax and enjoy your tunes.

Whew! You're a bit feisty there Mr. Batmans Robin. As I understand it, the Jubilee is available to special order only. So in most cases you are buying on faith - like most custom speakers I guess. But I do agree with you about hearing speakers before you buy - especially when they are VERY expensive. If I was going to put the cash down, I would travel across country to Klipsch HQ and have a listen. Then I would also find someone who has a pair at home and listen there as well. $7000 plus is way too much money to gamble with.

Your comment about room size and Jubilees interests me. I can also see your point about having very large horns in a relatively small rooms. I think most manufacturers who make such large speaker recommend using them in appropriately large listening venues to properly exploit their abilities to portray both the macro and micro dynamics of music, throwing a realistic soundstaging and more importantly, allowing the widely spaced drivers to correct converge within the listening area. Failure to have the listening spot far enough back may result in perceived 'holes' in the response and an uneven response.

Over to you Mr. Caped Crusader's Sidekick...

assuming i'll choose the version without
passive crossovers, what will be the suggested crossover frequency to
set on the active external crossover? I'll explain my question later,
if needed, but, in a word, i'm looking for alternatives to the Crown
crossover...;)

There is a bit more going on in the Dx38
than just the crossover frequency, but it's all part of the design. You
don't need the Dx38 to do it though...there's lots of system processors
on the market. Most are designed with pro gear in mind because it's too
complicated for your average consumer. However, there are a few
consumer products as well...I'm particularly fond of Deqx (minus their
room correction silliness):

http://www.deqx.com/products.php

I
can understand not going with the XTi amps - awesome bang for the buck,
but probably falling a bit short in the purist audiophile world.