OT What (if anything) is a MUST DO in Chicago?

Cal Blacksmith

Jim, thanks a lot, I will be sure to pass along all the thanks we have received from members here and friends and family.

The S/I museum, FLW tour and Buddy Guys Legends are VERY HIGH on my list of must dos and since he is a lot like me, he will likely chose them also. I googlemaped the many ideas for places to eat and some are quite close to the base. I downloaded them into my GPS so we will have ready to go, highly recomemded places to eat. The hotdogs, Pizza are very likely to be used as has been said, I am sure he is tired of Navy chow by now GRIN!

I am not sure of the rate he will get but the job description is that of an aircraft electrican (SP is off as my head is spinning a bit due to the Vicoden I took for back pain about 1/2 hour ago so please forgive me) He will be called an Airman, not a Seaman as he is right now in basic. If I read the outline right for what he is going through, today he will be going through the final test of basic called "BattleStations" It is a nonstop 12 hour ordeal covering everything he has learned in basic in a state of the art ship simulator where there will be emergencies, fires and all sorts of syneroes (SP again ) 12 in all. Sailors that have gone through it say it is the most fun they have had in basic, possibly their life! I do wish I could do it with him, I remember my days in Basic and though it was a Bi#@H it was a lot of fun and a great sense of pride to finish.

We are leaving Orange County airport at 1145 on this comming Thursday, the graduation is 0900 Friday (local time) and he will be available for all of us to get together until Sunday night excepting that he must be back to the base by 2200 (I think, possibly 2100) every night so a set at Buddy Guys is out as it is about 50 miles from base and the set starts at 2000 but there are artists that you can see for free starting at 1700 so we might be able to catch them.

The Art Institue and the Museum of Science and Industry are my two favorite museums. The CSO is right near there too....absolutely amazing.

The Adler Planetarium and the Shed Aquarium are fun too - I like the Planetarium more if you don't mind spending extra money on the video tour things.

I also gotta second Miller's Pub. [Y]

been awhile since I have been to the Museum of Science and Industry but the U-505 (Sub) is a fav and they have one of two (IIRC) German WWII Stukas left in the world...nice...everyone seems to have hit the highlights...try the staples...Italian Beef...Chicago Hot Dog...Deep Dish Pizza (if you haven't had it before...thin crust at places that specialize this is just as nice)...good luck, have fun...check with Buddy Guy's just to make sure there isn't someone coming down on your date...may not be able to getin...and THANKS to you and your Son for his Service!

Bill

Alright, I can't vouch for this establishment personally, but it sounds as though this place is the ONE thing you absolutely MUST do if you enter the Chicago city limits. It's called "Hot Doug's" and it is apparently THE final word in the interpretation of the "Chicago Red Hot", among other things.

Here is my favorite food critic Anthony Bourdain giving his two cents on the place:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQ3Xin_P9kc

(from 2:55 - 8:00)

Fries fried in rendered duck fat. Yes. Duck fat.

Just as a follow up. Mostly for people who may visit Chicago in the future.

Too bad the Elk's "War" Memorial is not open on weekends during the winter. http://www.elks.org/memorial/historicalTour.cfm

It is a little gem, and just a couple of blocks north of my humble abode. One of my friends questioned the reason for war memorials. It is actually a peace memorial, decrying the horrors of war and the benefits of peace. As you can read, it was put up after the "The War to End All Wars."

Bill H. visited Chicago to pick up a couple of speakers some years ago and it was very good to meet him. We toured the place.

There have been some changes over the years. Now there is a wrought iron fence around it. A good thing because otherwise the vandals would take a toll. And there are more buildings in the background.

The inside is somewhat stark by some standards but with statues, stained glass, and interesting side rooms.

If anyone visits Chicago in the summer, let me suggest the following. Take a 151 bus up to the Memorial. Then walk south to the Nature Museum, then farther south to the Lincoln Park Zoo. Then along the lakefront to the Magnificent Mile. Visit the Hancock Observatory, then to Navy Pier, and Milleneum Park. And then the Art Institute.

Well, actually, that could keep you busy for two days.

Wm McD

post-2552-13819446009368_thumb.jpg

Buddy Guys Legends is high on my list. Hell, even Roger Waters stopped by there one Friday night when my band was playing there. (lots of celebrities pass thru there)

This time of year I enjoy the Museum of Science & Industry. The Chicago Auto Show should be up around now. Other blues clubs would be Rosa's on the north side (Armitage & Kimball Ave). Tell Tony (the owner), Art the bass player sent ya. If you're into sports I guess a Bull's or Hawk's game will do. There's an IMAX theater on Navy Pier along with lots of boutique shops and restaurants. An OmniMAX theater is at the Science & Industry Museum (similar to IMAX - I think).

When you roll into town The Chicago Reader is a good source of "things to do". Also Metromix online. I don't live in Chicago proper so I don't know where u find The Reader, probably at any news stand. The Illinois Entertainer (at places like music & music instrument stores - free) is also good for finding out what u might like to do. Suburban Night Life (free) is good for stuff going on in the surrounding Chicago area (online & at music stores).

All my favorite restaurants have closed. I'm in the process of finding new ones but nothing I can recommend off hand in Chicago proper. Some of the better clubs like Andy's (jazz) or Legends have pretty good food. Just ask Forum member Alan Songer. He, me, boomac and garymd went to Andy's to hear Von Freeman. When they brought out Alan's "pork chop", I said "I think that's the largest pork chop I've ever seen!" (don't forget Chicago is known for this kind of stuff and I grew up here). As we all stare at Alan's chop, Alan says "I know that's the largest $%^ing pork chop I've ever seen!!!"

Have fun.