Piano on La Scalas

sean5340

Sean - that must sound amazing. I so want a pair of La Scalas even though I have never heard them before. Crazy I know. Enjoy the fine sounds.

Cowcio - I would say 'welcome to the madness' but this is not for me to say... anyway welcome aboard.

I've never listened to LS! Being a pianist, this will tempt me further to pursue purchasing t

Where are you located? Someone here ought to be able to let you have a listen if you are close at hand.

Bruce

yes,we've got people everywhere. If newer guys would post their location we could be of more help with auditions.

I know of a member with LS in Virginia if you're ever up that way....(there I go, being a Richard)

Welcome to the Madness!

Michale

Don't worry Coytee.... He's Michale now.... is that pronounced the same way as Michael? (Or do his fingers type dyslexic like mine seem to at tiems?

For my own edification I'd like to see what you think of my piano recording. I recommend cut 4, Clair de lune, at a volume approximateing that of a grand piano at about 10 feet from the listening position.

I'll withhold further comment, as I'm more interested in your opinion than mine.

http://63.250.239.168/mallette/Foster/Foster.zip

Dave

BTW, that is ready to burn if you don't have computer playback access.

I'll withhold further comment, as I'm more interested in your opinion than mine.

http://63.250.239.168/mallette/Foster/Foster.zip

Dave

This is very fine work. It sounds like a live performance in my room. There is tremendous detail and clarity with no noise. I can actually hear the pianists movements on his seat and also the foot pedals. You are very talented. This is the best recording I have now.

The piano placement on my system is slightly left of center. Is this how it was recorded?

Thanks Dave

Thank you, sir.

It was intended to be left of center. I have never been fond of most stereo piano recordings, even those of the great pianists. The image seems to span the speakers with an impression of a 20 foot piano. I approached this recording with considerable apprehension, given my knowledge that it appeared to be the Waterloo of most engineers. It is NOT "stereo," but a 2 channel recording. The focus mike was a 1936 RCA KU-3a ribbon placed equidistant from the soundboard near the front. The image definition mike was another ribbon mike placed 90 degrees to it and about 3 feet from the end of the piano. The resulting image is intended to define a grand piano from between the center and left speaker, hopefully in most systems providing something of a realistic sized acoustic image of a piano.

Details of the performance are at www.mbsdar.com.

Regards,

Dave

Is there less delay time between the MR and bass horns in a La Scala?

Larry, the short answer is yes.

Also, for anyone interested, I'm just south of Chattanooga, with a pair of LS, and 2A3 SET amps. The sound is delightful to me. A visit is possible. I don't have a high dollar setup... RS interconnects and zip cord for speaker wire are in use here.

Bruce