Volvo V70....Any thoughts?

Tarheel

A few thoughts;

A 2007 G6 should be getting around 26+ mpg and thus would be marketable as the gas prices get higher. 2nd, depending on when leased and length of lease, the remaining payments may be picked up by the dealer as part of the sale. I just got out of a 2007 lease 2 months early without any penalty.

Saturn being for sale, may not impact the tradein at all, depending on the vehicle. An Aura (recent car of the year award winner) at nearly 30 mpg could have decent appeal as a trade in. Saturn has a solid reputation now, plus nearly all parts are interchangeable with another GM model. Service at GM dealers is likely to continue, but maybe not as a warranty item.

The Volvo, has a strong safety reputation. I personally would hope to sell you on a Cadillac, but that in no way diminishes the Volvo or your wife's interest in it. From just a personal viewpoint, The Mrs had longed for either a BMW X5 or a Jaguar sedan. But neither gave me the sense of security on road trips if something broke - plus the payments were nearly double over what I got her. For her milestone birthday she received a Cadillac CTS4 DI and is thrilled. I like the vehicle enough to actually grin while I'm writing the monthly payment. The husband is happiest when the wife is happy!!!!! Lots of new Caddies coming out this year with the redesigned SRX, CTS coupe and CTS wagon. The 304hp Direct Injection engine ($1000 option) gets 27 mpg and the lease residual on that option was 90% - meaning it only cost me $100 over 4 years to get the upgraded engine. A $900 residual on a $1000 option. Can't beat that with a stick.

Anyway - best of luck to you - regardless of what you finally decide.

edit to add: I owned a Cadillac SRX (2004 model) AWD with the NorthStar V8, UltraView sunroof, magnetic ride control, High Intensity Discharge headlights, Navigation, Permium sound system, rear DVD and 3rd row seats. Absolutely the finest riding vehicle I have ever owned. Smooth, powerfrul, comfortable.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If it's a matter of what your wife wants is, in your mind, buying "too much" car, I can relate. I let my wife go ahead and get a Volvo convertible a few years back. It was very nice. She finally got used to the fact that driving an expensive convertible was really not that life-changing, and the excitement of the new status symbol was something that wore off. She got out of it after a short while and bought a CR-V. Now, she drives a Santa Fe.

My advice is let her get what she wants (provided she has responsibility for the payments or cost). She will be happier. She will pay for it. She will decide if it was really worth it. If it wasn't, next time, she will be more modest maybe.

Thats good practical advice Jeff. The sting of the payments will live on long after the new car sizzle ends. I just got off the phone with the dealer in Charlotte with the loaner that has everything the new one has plus remote key (PCC) and satelite radio and he offered a little more for the trade in. I asked him to go look at the car for dings, scratches or wear. I not only want the car cheap....I want it to be in perfect shape[:o] I asked him about Volvo being sold and he said that was not an issue when Ford bought Volvo and would not be this time. We will see.

Thats good practical advice Jeff. The sting of the payments will live on long after the new car sizzle ends. I just got off the phone with the dealer in Charlotte with the loaner that has everything the new one has plus remote key (PCC) and satelite radio and he offered a little more for the trade in. I asked him to go look at the car for dings, scratches or wear. I not only want the car cheap....I want it to be in perfect shapeSurpriseI asked him about Volvo being sold and he said that was not an issue when Ford bought Volvo and would not be this time. We will see.

I tend largely to agree with that. Only if the manufacturer loses too much money will there be a threat to service. It's not like if Fiat buys Volvo, all the Volvo dealers will stop selling Volvo. The network is in place.

Thats good practical advice Jeff. The sting of the payments will live on long after the new car sizzle ends. I just got off the phone with the dealer in Charlotte with the loaner that has everything the new one has plus remote key (PCC) and satelite radio and he offered a little more for the trade in. I asked him to go look at the car for dings, scratches or wear. I not only want the car cheap....I want it to be in perfect shapeSurpriseI asked him about Volvo being sold and he said that was not an issue when Ford bought Volvo and would not be this time. We will see.

I tend largely to agree with that. Only if the manufacturer loses too much money will there be a threat to service. It's not like if Fiat buys Volvo, all the Volvo dealers will stop selling Volvo. The network is in place.

I have to agree, it would have to be pretty monumental for Volvo to close there service bays. Service depts. make a LOT of money for the companies. Mostly more than actual sales of the vehicles over time.

Side note: When I needed part sfor my Eagle Talon ES, I had to go to Plymouth and tell them I have a Laser RS.[^o)] Eagle just didn't exist anymore by that time.

................The wife has made it clear through body language, if nothing else, that she wants the Volvo...................

I'm still trying to imagine the body language that your wife would use to convey "Volvo." [^o)]

Anyhoo, I had a love/hate relationship with a 940 gl. It was a souless mudball and I wanted to get rid of it right after I got it. Lousy fit and finish, lots of insignificant geegaws either broke or fell off but, mechanically, the thing just would not die or even sputter. It just ran and ran in all kinds of weather and on all kinds of roads. I never liked it but I kind of admired its tenacity. I just couldn't part with the ol' brick til it had well over 300,000 miles on the odometer and it was still running well enough that someone else actually wanted it.

There is great account of the indestructable Volvo in the novel "Shibumi" by Trevanian (who also wrote the Eiger Sanction.) As a side plot, a Volvo owning assasin who could coldly kill bad guys with nothing more than a soda straw could not kill the Volvo that he hated with a passion. He would pound on it, kick it, throw rocks at it, never change the oil, and even let his gardener, who could not work a clutch, drive it everywhere in first gear. It never died. Novelists don't just make this stuff up.

"Would not die or even sputter" I can live with that Sputnik and 300,000 miles sounds just right. Anyway it looks like its a done deal. She is gettng the new Volvo in the next day or two. She deserves it after driving the Saturn wagon for nine years without complaint.

So a big thanks to all who took the time to offer up advice and suggestions. I think we all guessed the outcome many post ago. Maybe I can get some pictures by the weekend.

One last one.........and I am gone.

A man was reading the paper when an ad caught his eye. It clearly

announced, "$500 Porsche! New!"

The man thought that it was very unusual to sell a Porsche for $500,
and he thought it might be a joke, but he said to himself, It's worth a
shot.

So he went to the house of the lady who was selling the Porsche and
she led him into the garage. Sure enough, there was an almost-brand-new
Porsche.

"Wow!" the man exclaimed. "Can I take it for a test drive?"

"Sure," answered the lady.

Unlike what he expected, the man found that the car ran perfectly.

When he got back to the lady's house, he asked her, "Why are you selling me this great Porsche for only $500?"

Then the lady replied with a laugh, "My husband just ran off with
his secretary, and he told me, 'You can have the house and the
furniture. Just sell my Porsche and send me the money.'"

Kris Moorman

You might remember my son, Josh's 240. He was run off theinterstate one night. Rolled about three times, took out some trees. Landed upside down. All four doors open and close and the windows worked. He climbed out the window, had minor cuts and scratches... a glass chip in his eye. No airbags... just a solidcar.

post-7149-1381944622441_thumb.jpg