Cornscala - Again

CIGARBUM

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. Perfectly good shop and very nice tools

2. I like the dimensions you have selected for your Cornscalas. The 'squatty' look reminds me of a Belle somewhat.

3.You look like you know what you're doing. I like the square stiffening panels on the sides. Good idea.

4. I bumped Bob's original Cornscala 'let's build a driver test box' so you could get your history lesson on this design.

Michael

I've got what I call the riser (will go on the bottom) and the spacer that will go between the bass bin and the HF cabinet. This was done for a couple reasons,(1) it will stiffen the top and bottom of the bass bin, I have already stiffened the sides and back and (2) and it will get the centerline of dHF cabinet at ear level with my chair.

post-32367-13819446527686_thumb.jpg

Been working away this morning and just wanted to pass on a couple observations in the construction. (1) Make sure you have plenty of clamps, long enought to span size of box. (2) Make sure you have a large smooth perfectly flat working surface (3) Keep the work surface clean and free of dust, wood chips or other foreign material. I have been very lucky and all the boxes have turned out to be perfectly square, make sure you measure the diagonal, they need to be the same.

This thing is getting big, this is due to the fact that the components I am using are large. The CP125 tweeter is about 6.5" tall and Al's trachorns is 8.5" and leaving 1" at top middle and bottom the HF cabinet is about 19" tall. Overall height will be about 43". And it will be heavy.

I will post some more pictures later today.

Guest David H

This thing is getting big, this is due to the fact that the components I am using are large. The CP125 tweeter is about 6.5" tall and Al's trachorns is 8.5" and leaving 1" at top middle and bottom the HF cabinet is about 19" tall. Overall height will be about 43". And it will be heavy.

Because of the size of the top cab, I had to use gussets front back and center to keep the ply straight.

post-24405-13819446619058_thumb.jpg

Because of the size of the top cab, I had to use gussets front back and center to keep the ply straight.

I've had this same problem with the LS tops I've made. That's why Klipsch installed a 3" wide piece across the back, just under the top, to help stiffen and square up the back. I'll have to start doing that as well.

Greg

I guess I don't understand, was your plywood warped to start with? What kind of plywood did you use? The 13 ply seems pretty good, and I am using pocket hole joints, clamp it them glue it and screw it, even, flush and square.

A bonifide, degreed CE said this?

Guest David H

I may put a back on mine, just to keep the dust and crap out, bugs, mice, cats,stray dogs, you know the usual stuff.

A stray kitten in a used set of RF-3s is a real world experiance that won me a set of Heresy II's, in the klipsch storyteller contest.

The cat is fat cranky and old now.