LP Question...

Coytee

I've inquired about shipping them and I'm not to that stage yet.

Right now, my question is, when I make a listing of all the LP's I now have in my hands (about 50 total), exactly what information would be helpful for "you" as someone who might have an interest in one of them? (name, artist, label, date, color of the record itself??????)

I do not have any way to actually play them so I can't personally attest to their condition other than eyeballing the vinyl itself. The prior owner had two Thorens tables (TD 121, TD 124) and his working table was a Yamaha PX2 which had a Grado Sonata cartridge on it (Khorns, tube preamp and tube amp)

Point being, he wasn't using a Playschool record player so I'd expect these LP's to at least be "not trash". More than one of them seems to be a fancy version (Steely Dan aja, 30th anniversary all analog HQ 180 LP) as an example or Miles Davis "******* Brew", "digitally remastered directly from the original analog tapes" and is a "Columbia Jazz Masterpieces".

Some go back to the late 50's with the RCA victor image on their corner.

What I'm wanting to do is leaf through each one and note down the title and any other specifics (like the aja mentioned above). I do not know what a "vinyl person" might be specifically looking for (other than that vinyl doll I had the other night, but that is a different story for a different website I'm sure [:^)] )

so, as I flip through these, what bits of data should I put into a spreadsheet? I then intend to make a singular posting of the spreadsheet with the data. Then, if anyone wants something... how to do it...

My thinking is simply make a public offer that you don't mind others seeing. What I mean by that is... I'll accept the first offer as I don't really care what these go for and I have absolutely ZERO idea what they are worth. So, if you want to give $1.00 for one, I'll take it. My point about the public price though is, if that LP (like aja) is probably worth MORE than $1.00, then you are illustrating publically to others that you are trying to pull a quick one. I personally do not care what they go for so you're not going to hurt my feelings. This price will then be added to shipping. I'm understanding/hoping that I might be able to get a quantity of record sleeves from Gary to mail them in but that has not been finalized yet with him. I've never done this and will be hoping that others (Gary?) can bail me out as to simple mechanics (take to post office?)

My hope is to get a "fair" price for these, however, I realize fair must be discounted by the fact that I do not know their actual condition and therefore, that has to be taken into account by the potential buyer.

If someone wants to nab (and do a local pickup) the entire lot, that's fine too.

What I might also do is put 4-6 lp covers in a square on the floor and take a picture of the group. That will be easier than taking 50 shots and posting each cover don't you think? Or, would front/back shots of EACH cover be the way to go?

I want to give as much info out as I can on these so if someone takes a stab at one of them, there are as few surprises as possible. This is your chance to guide how I do it to get that information out to you.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I want to make sure the seller knows how to grade them accurately and to a known standard

Technically, the seller here has passed away and therein is the basic problem. Ostensibly, (because of his other equipment) I know these are "decent". Are they and 6/10 or a 9.5/10? I have no clue and will make no assertation. Likewise, no way do I (personally) presume they are all 2/10. This guy was pretty particular with his stuff. Don't care for my word? (not directed towards you Mark), then fine... call Terry DeWick and find out from him , just how picky Chris was. (I realize that verification won't mean these are excellent nor crap condition)

Regardless.... I have no care personally how someone may value these. heck... someone wants to drive here and give $25 for all 50 of them, I'll load them myself.

If you or anyone has any guideline how I could even attempt to do a basic or specific grading of them (since I have no turntable), I'm all ears and I'll adhere to the gameplan to the best I can. As it is, I have thusfar gone through to simply make sure each sleeve had an LP in it (two did not!)

So, as for my original question as to what all data would be sought after? (I intend on only combing through them once and want to get it right the first time) Or should I just go outside for some ***** practice?

It's only because I know there are some here that love vinyl that these didn't simply get tossed into the local square container with all the empty boxes.

Coytee, the lack of grading is going to drive the price down big time. After all, it's the proverbil "Pig in a poke." At least finding someone with a decent TT and system and skipping through them so you can provide some guidance would be useful. There's some stuff there I'd love to have...the Miles Davis in particular.

Dave

I will give you $10 to sell them to Joe just so my wife doesn't see anymore boxes showing up here.

So, if I accept your offer prior to Joes, then I just bagged another $10? lol [Y]

One problem Joe... that was under "local" pickup.... Not sure how to ship a box of them. Anyone driving between here and Joe's? In case it's relevant to know, Chris was a jazz musician.

Ok, here's what I'll do... forget the spreadsheet, Joe has first dibs and if he doesn't want them, I'll figure out what to do next... I will admit I'm not too keen on figuring out how to package this many LP's but here is a rudimentary listing of them:

Miles Davis, ******* Brew, "digitally remastered directly from original analog tapes:

Rosemary Clooney, Duke Ellington, Blue Rose "Columbia "360 sound"

Stan Getz/ Joao Gilberto featuring Antonio Carlos Jobim (I think the LP titel is "Getz/Gilberto"??)

Weather Report, Mysterious Traveller

Miles Davis, In a Silent Way, "Digitally remastered directly from the original analog tapes"

Miroslav Vitous, Mountain in the clouds (with John McLaughlin, Joe Henderson, Herbie Hancock, Jack DeJohnette, Joe Chambers)

Charlie Haden, Jan Garbarek Egberto Gismonti, "Magico"

Oregon, "Winter Light"

Steely Dan, "Aja"

Steely Dan, "Aja, 30th Anniversary all analog HQ-180 LP"

John Abercrombie "Timeless"

Pat Metheny Group, First circle

Charlie Haden, "The Ballad of the Fallen" (ECM digital)

Keith Jarrett, Arbour Zena

Kenny Wheeler, Gnu High

Mark Knophler, Shangi-La

Jaco Pastorius (LP is evidently by the same name)

The Erasers, Thom Yorke

Stevie Wonder, Innervisions

Beetles, Love

Kenny Wheeler, Music for Large & Small Ensembles

John surman, Upon reflection

Philharmonic Promenade Orchestra, Delibes Sylvia and Coppelia Ballet Suites (Westminster HI-FI and funky plastic zipper bag)

Diane Bish at the Ruffatti Organ, Music for Brass and Organ (Medallion series)

Concertgebouw Orchestra of Amsterdam, conducted by Karl Bohm, "Mozart Jupiter, symphony No. 41", symph No. 32 in G major (K.318) and Symph No. 26 in E-Flat Major (K.184)

Sir Adrian Boult conducts "The Planets", Opus 32 Gustav holst (another Westminster HI-FI)

Julian Bream, Baroque Guitar (RCA Victor Red Seal, Dynagroove recording)

Sound Track : Pulp fiction

Rimsky Korsakoff, Scheherazade Reiner Chicago Symphony "Living Stereo, Miracle surface"

John Surman, Jack Dejohnette, The Amazing Adventures of Simon simon

Duke Ellington, Johnny Hodges Play the Blues "Back to Back" (200 Gram classic records, Quiex sv-P, super vinyl profile)

Soundtrack: Carnival of souls

Cleveland Orchestra, George Szell conducting "Orchestral Highlights from Wagners "Ring of the Nibelung"

Chicago Sympony Orchestra, Fritz Reiner, "Bartok"

Glenn Gould, Piano, BACH: The Goldbert Variations

Robert Shaw conducting the RCA Victor Choral and Orchestra with soloists, "Bach: Mass in B Minor" (this has a name and 1957 hand writtein inside the box of three, LP's)

Janos Starker, BACH Suites for soloe Cello No. 2 in D minor, No. 5 in C minor

Glenn Gould, BACH: The Well-Tempered Clavier Book 1/Preludes and Fugues 17-24

Glenn gould, BACH (volume 4) Well tempered Clavier book 2, Preludes and Fugues 1-8

Bruno Walter, Johann Strauss: Waltzes, Overtures

Archive production, history of music division of the Deutsche Grammohphone Geselleschaft "The works of Johann Sebastion Bach"

Bruno Walter, Philoharmonic Sympony Orchestra of NY, Mozart Symph No. 41 in C major, K.551 ("upiter"), Symph No. 39 in E-flat Major, K.543

Glenn Gould, BACH the two and three part inventions (Inventions & sinfonias

Goldberg Variations, Johann Sebastion Bach, Ralph Kirkpatrick Harpsichord

Glenn Gould, BACH the Well tempered Clavier Book 1, Preludes and Fugues 1-8

The Serious Gershwin, Morton Gould, Rhapsody in blue, An american in Paris, Porgy and Bess suite, concerto in F, Preludes (1 LP, inside box hand written 1958... I presume there USED to be more LP's inside this box, but don't know that)

Eduardo Mata, Dallas Symphony Orchestra, Ravel Bolero, Rapsodie Espagnole, Alborada Del Gracioso (Red seal, digital)

Karl Richter, Bach Organ, Fanrtasia & Fugue in G minor, Three Choral Preludes, Prelude & Fugue in E minor

Karl Scheit, guitar, Music for Lute and guitar Renaissance and Baroque

Zimbler Sinfonietta, conducted by Lucas Foss, Bartok Ives Milhaud Skalkottas

Joseph fuches violin with London Symphony Orchestra conducted by Eugene Goossens "Hindemith Concerto for violin & orchestra & MOzart concerto No. 3 for violin and Orchestra in G major (K. 216)

Now.. Joe, no offense intended, but I don't really want to box these up. I don't mind indivudual packages so much because I can simply whip them down to the post office (I presume). not sure how to box up this many LP's... I'm open to comments and Joe, if the titles above don't appeal to you, no problem.

Lemme be clear... these titles mean nothing to me so it's perfectly fine by me to let them slip into the dumpster at my office although I'll admit I think that would be stupid and a shame to do hence, the energy I'm putting into them here.

Hey, what am I, chopped liver? I spoke for the Miles first. I'd happly go 35.00 for these three alone if you'd toss in USPS Parcel Post and provide a simple "they look pretty good" inspection.

Miles Davis, ******* Brew, "digitally remastered directly from original analog tapes:

Miles Davis, In a Silent Way, "Digitally remastered directly from the original analog tapes"

Diane Bish at the Ruffatti Organ, Music for Brass and Organ (Medallion series)

Dave

ill give you 50.00 for them plus shipping right now and save you the listing etc...

Joe, if you buy this batch, I'll take the 2 Westminster LPs off your hands at whatever a reasonable price is.

There are a few other potentially good classical LPs in there IF they're in good condition....

Larry

Beetles, Love

I wonder if this group is anything like The Beatles? Their "Love"2-LP sells for $45 new and IFyours is in LIKE-NEW CONDITION, it'd probably bring $30.

That one could be worth $25-$50 DEPENDING ON CONDITION!!!!!!

You are talking serious beer money, baby [:)] [:D] And pizza [pi]

Your jazz is run of the mill common stuff sorry my good man [:(]

heck... someone wants to drive here and give $25 for all 50 of them, I'll load them myself.

Now I don't want to falsely defame you, Mr Coyote, and I know that of course this could never apply to you, but I want to WARN PEOPLE that they should always be careful when responding to offers on the internet that SEEM TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE!!! There are a lot of seriously deranged perverts and serial killers on the internet who LURE THEIR VICTIMS into visiting with hard to resist offers. I dare not describe what happens next. A WORD TO THE WISE IS SUFFICIENT!!! Say no more.

Now I don't want to falsely defame you, Mr Coyote, and I know that of course this could never apply to you, but I want to WARN PEOPLE that they should always be careful when responding to offers on the internet that SEEM TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE!!! There are a lot of seriously deranged perverts and serial killers on the internet who LURE THEIR VICTIMS into visiting with hard to resist offers. I dare not describe what happens next. A WORD TO THE WISE IS SUFFICIENT!!! Say no more.

Indeed Robin... Hobie1dog was here once and he had this to say http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/p/112482/1131189.aspx#1131189

"Got up and hit the road at 5:30 AM to drive the 4+ hours to Coytee's house in Tennessee..amazingly found his place which is back where the hoot owls f#^k the chickens"

You first drive on some 4 lane roads, then drop down to 2-lane roads.... then drop down to an inconpicuous 1 1/2 lane road, then 1 lane gravel road and you SWEAR you have gone beyond the end of the earth...

Got lots of hoot owls here and few chickens...[:|]

I think I've found a reasonably fair way to do this.

I've had a couple PM's so going by those time stamps as well as the timestamps in this thread, the earlier poster is getting the item HOWEVER, I might ask that from here on, put all requests HERE so they are public. I don't want to go back/forth checking time stamps and would simply like everything above board.

I've asked Gary to send me some mailers. I do not know if a single mailer can ship a single LP or 4 LP's. I've asked him and he's not had time to respond. I'd hope I could fit several into one mailer to save expenses.

Here's what I think I'd like to do and frankly, I think it might be fair to all?

I've gone through the list (and will list below the LP's but since typing this in the box, can't scroll back to see who asked, will TRY to recall who mentioned what)

anyways...

Once I get the mailers from Gary, I'll simply send the LP's out to those who requested them ON THE CONDITION THAT, upon receiving said LP, you check it out promptly and:

1. If the LP is trash, let me know what is wrong with it publically (in this thread so it's public and centralized would be fine)

2. If it's trashed, then I'll simply write it off and you can keep it BUT, would want you to send me a check for the amount of shipping. (I don't want to spend my cash to help someone else move their LP's which I don't think is too unreasonable?)

3. If the LP is in "good" condition (however you define good), then you can let that be known here and send me a check for shipping PLUS an amount that you feel the LP is worth, given its condition AFTER you have personally had a chance to ascertain it for yourself.

So, the only real risk to anyone will be shipping AND getting a "good" LP. If it is in crappy condition, then you're only risking being out shipping expenses which I would speculate to be only a couple bucks?

Does that seem fair?

I will try to copy paste that list of LP's so I can cut it down as needed.

Right now I have as already spoken for LP's:

Miles Davis, Dave M

Miles Davis, Dave M

Diane Bish, Dave M

Westminster, LarryC

Westminster Larry C

Beetles Love, GaryMD

Aja (180g) Gary MD

Ellington/Hodges, GaryMD

Getz/Gilberto, Gary/MD

Just so everyone else knows, (Fini), I did check time stamps and he was first. I think if all future requests are made here it will help keep that in line. I know Joe hasn't responded back yet BUT, my statement there WAS if someone wanted to come here... I didn't want to go through the hassel of crating these so it is looking like this is the direction this is going to go.

If you agree to the above, then here is what I currently have as spoken for:

Miles Davis, ******* Brew, "digitally remastered directly from original analog tapes: DaveM

DaveM

Diane Bish at the Ruffatti Organ, Music for Brass and Organ (Medallion series) DaveM
Philharmonic Promenade Orchestra, Delibes Sylvia and Coppelia Ballet Suites (Westminster HI-FI and funky plastic zipper bag) LarryC
Sir Adrian Boult conducts "The Planets", Opus 32 Gustav holst (another Westminster HI-FI) LarryC
Steely Dan, "Aja, 30th Anniversary all analog HQ-180 LP" GaryMD
Beetles, Love GaryMD
Duke Ellington, Johnny Hodges Play the Blues "Back to Back" (200 Gram classic records, Quiex sv-P, super vinyl profile) GaryMD
Stan Getz/ Joao Gilberto featuring Antonio Carlos Jobim (I think the LP titel is "Getz/Gilberto"??) GaryMD

And below are the rest. I've now copied it into a spreadsheet so I can better organize it. If you guys above don't like the deal I stated, that's fine. I'm simply trying to be fair to all. Remember...these are not my LP's, they're from an estate and I'm trying to help out. This will allow you to have a trial run before committing to anything more than postage.

Rosemary Clooney, Duke Ellington, Blue Rose "Columbia "360 sound"
Weather Report, Mysterious Traveller
Miroslav Vitous, Mountain in the clouds (with John McLaughlin, Joe Henderson, Herbie Hancock, Jack DeJohnette, Joe Chambers)
Charlie Haden, Jan Garbarek Egberto Gismonti, "Magico"
Oregon, "Winter Light"
Steely Dan, "Aja"
John Abercrombie "Timeless"
Pat Metheny Group, First circle
Charlie Haden, "The Ballad of the Fallen" (ECM digital)
Keith Jarrett, Arbour Zena
Kenny Wheeler, Gnu High
Mark Knophler, Shangi-La
Jaco Pastorius (LP is evidently by the same name)
The Erasers, Thom Yorke
Stevie Wonder, Innervisions
Kenny Wheeler, Music for Large & Small Ensembles
John surman, Upon reflection
Concertgebouw Orchestra of Amsterdam, conducted by Karl Bohm, "Mozart Jupiter, symphony No. 41", symph No. 32 in G major (K.318) and Symph No. 26 in E-Flat Major (K.184)
Julian Bream, Baroque Guitar (RCA Victor Red Seal, Dynagroove recording)
Sound Track : Pulp fiction
Rimsky Korsakoff, Scheherazade Reiner Chicago Symphony "Living Stereo, Miracle surface"
John Surman, Jack Dejohnette, The Amazing Adventures of Simon simon
Soundtrack: Carnival of souls
Cleveland Orchestra, George Szell conducting "Orchestral Highlights from Wagners "Ring of the Nibelung"
Chicago Sympony Orchestra, Fritz Reiner, "Bartok"
Glenn Gould, Piano, BACH: The Goldbert Variations
Robert Shaw conducting the RCA Victor Choral and Orchestra with soloists, "Bach: Mass in B Minor" (this has a name and 1957 hand writtein inside the box of three, LP's)
Glenn Gould, BACH: The Well-Tempered Clavier Book 1/Preludes and Fugues 17-24
Glenn gould, BACH (volume 4) Well tempered Clavier book 2, Preludes and Fugues 1-8
Bruno Walter, Johann Strauss: Waltzes, Overtures
Archive production, history of music division of the Deutsche Grammohphone Geselleschaft "The works of Johann Sebastion Bach"
Bruno Walter, Philoharmonic Sympony Orchestra of NY, Mozart Symph No. 41 in C major, K.551 ("upiter"), Symph No. 39 in E-flat Major, K.543
Glenn Gould, BACH the two and three part inventions (Inventions & sinfonias
Goldberg Variations, Johann Sebastion Bach, Ralph Kirkpatrick Harpsichord
Glenn Gould, BACH the Well tempered Clavier Book 1, Preludes and Fugues 1-8
The Serious Gershwin, Morton Gould, Rhapsody in blue, An american in Paris, Porgy and Bess suite, concerto in F, Preludes (1 LP, inside box hand written 1958... I presume there USED to be more LP's inside this box, but don't know that)
Eduardo Mata, Dallas Symphony Orchestra, Ravel Bolero, Rapsodie Espagnole, Alborada Del Gracioso (Red seal, digital)
Karl Richter, Bach Organ, Fanrtasia & Fugue in G minor, Three Choral Preludes, Prelude & Fugue in E minor
Karl Scheit, guitar, Music for Lute and guitar Renaissance and Baroque
Zimbler Sinfonietta, conducted by Lucas Foss, Bartok Ives Milhaud Skalkottas
Joseph fuches violin with London Symphony Orchestra conducted by Eugene Goossens "Hindemith Concerto for violin & orchestra