pointless question about witch point, you align yours laScala?

jazzbeq

Good evening,

[*-)] need you help for my laScala placement?

When i align my laScala, to my listening position, should i toe in, to my ears 1or my shoulder?

Should i use a central point at 1 feet back my listening position?

Goal is to achieve largest soundstage possible, without the central hole created by toe out speakers?

Regards, JzbQ[:^)]

Think of the sound coming out of your speakers like a flashlight....the light doesn't come out in a straight beam, but rather it comes out in a cone type shape...

I always start off with toe-ing the speakers directly at my nose, but sometimes you might need to vary a bit to account for early reflections off boundaries close to the speakers. In most rooms, this means having the speakers cross in front of you...

So far, shoulder set up sound good.

I will purchase a laser beam at hardware

this afternoon to put one on each speaker,

so crossing will be easier to figure.

I will try the front toe in, with shoulder sometimes some instrument duplicate,

but i had not verify it with headphone, maybe it's the recording

Any good jazz mono you use for this kind of adjustment? you suggest?

Using a laser to align the speakers is a good idea, since it's much faster than going back and forth with a tape measure. I've got my JubScalas aimed at the centre of my listening position, so I guess that would be at my nose. That would be a good starting point.

As Dr Who pointed out, you might need to make further adjustments, depending on side wall reflections or other factors. What sounds good to you in your room is what's right.

So far, cross toe in in front of my listening position 18 inches is the best, will stay with this for a week or 2, will adjust the room for echoes and reverberation. but large window between speaker, i have to convince WAF[;)], she need to replace the drap for something thicker and of cource nicier to without re-doing all the painting, heavy mission? [H]

• 2 weeks later...

Finally, what is better, is crossing angle, 6 - 10 inches, in back of listening position

But what amaze me most, by switching angle, you could choose, to be on stage, front stage

or somewhere in the audience listening the music?

My guess is you'd still be sitting in the sweet spot with all those alignments.

Best to check it out with the different toe in positions and listen for what sounds best to you.

I'd be interested to hear your take on what sounds best.

I agree. My La Scalas are toed in to intersect about 2 feet in front of my listening position. Note that in my square room this is the result of placing them as close to 45 degrees each and as close to the corners as practical (to simulate K-horns). Works pretty good for me. May not be perfect - I probably need to experiment more.

Well, with a laser beam(19$each, cheap) on each laScala, i had tryed different toe in toe out, so far the best is between 6 inch and 12 inch in front of my nose, precise image, but less soundstage. to be continued...

You will get a wider sweet spot doing it that way.

But what amaze me most, by switching angle, you could choose, to be on stage, front stage

or somewhere in the audience listening the music?

It's interesting that you would notice that. In many speaker reviews, the speaker itself is described as having a "front-row sound", a 'ten-rows-back" sound, even a "back-of-the-hall" sound, like it was a built-in characteristic of the speaker that could not be changed.

What you're hearing suggests that, in a way, La Scalas can sort of be all things to all listeners, depending on their orientation.

I've got a small room, and I toe mine in to my shoulders or a smidge wider. Also the fronts of mine are tilted slightly up with hocky pucks on the two front corners. The imaging and soundstage are pretty darn good with this setup.

Craig (nosvalves) had the front of his Lascalas lifted about 3 inches at the Audiokarma fest in Detroit, when I attended in 2006. This tweek has improved the soundstage of my Lascalas considerably. It also directs the bass upward.