Why Some Tube Amplifiers Sound Better Than Others

edwinr

It's the hiss. Using horn speakers with around 103 to 105 db sensitivity, every cheap tube amp I've tried makes noise that I can hear from my listening position. I don't know whether it's a result of crappy transformers, poor wiring or whatever, they just make noise. On really quite pieces of music with the volume ramped up, the noise intrudes on the music.

Now my current amplifer, the Audio Note Soro SE may not be the most dynmaic and detailed tube amplifier in the world, but man it's quiet. Even from a foot away I can barely hear anything.

I've come to the conclusion that rather than buy cheap tube stuff just so they can say they have tubes, music lovers on a budget are better off buying the best horn speakers they can afford and skimp on amplification. Buy a good solid state integrated amplifer instead and save, save, save...

I was thinking Creek, Cambridge Audio, NAD etc... Or Rotel. Or Musical Fidelity:

post-15368-1381944692481_thumb.jpg

I've come to the conclusion that rather than buy cheap tube stuff just so they can say they have tubes, music lovers on a budget are better off buying the best horn speakers they can afford and skimp on amplification. Buy a good solid state integrated amplifer instead and save, save, save...

I was thinking Creek, Cambridge Audio, NAD etc... Or Rotel:

Of course you want to buy the best speakers you can afford. But if you have 104dB sensitivity speakers, you may want to invest in a new solid state amp. The SS brands you bring up are fine brands I'd be willing to try. The little NAD integrated, the model # with bee after it. That's supposed to be nice lower wattage integrated amp from what I understand. And I think they still make a version of it.

But vintage integrated SS amplifiers from say the seventies and eighties, you are more or less buying into the same problems with tube amps. Not necessarily all of them, but depending on the level of line and build quality. I have cheap integrated solid state amplifiers around here. Three out of four of them have buzzing PS transfomers, and they all hiss through my LaScala's more than all my tube amplifiers, which is like five or six.

I'm listening to my Harmon Kardon 330B right now, out of convenience. It has a nice wore out syrupy kind of sock sound that seems to mess up ok with the LS's. But it hisses like the ocean.

So with the all that typed out, I'd say buy a new SS integrated amp for 104-105dB speakers. If one thinks they are gonna buy a old well-worn vintage SS amplifier with LaScalas, and figure it won't hiss through the speakers, then I got bad news for you.....

Maybe older s/s amplifiers hiss as well. But I still think we've been brainwashed by the concept of tube ownership - just like those that buy Bose just because it's Bose...

Many audiophiles are arguing that modern day solid state designs have caught up with the myth. This Audio Zone AMP1 has had rave reviews...

post-15368-1381944699178_thumb.jpg

But I guess maybe you guys are right. There isn't anything that appealing about solid stare amps. They tend to lack that 'look'. That pride of ownership. But not all designs. Check this honey out - the Blue Circle NSCS integrated.

Maybe solid state can look sexy too...

post-15368-1381944699287_thumb.jpg

I don't know whether many have heard of DNM from England. But they make the most exquisite low power solid state amplifiers which they they claim rival the very best in the world. I've read some reviews but I've vever heard any DNM stuff myself. Interestingly, DNM use mainly very high grade perspex and plastics in the construction - even the nuts, bolts and washers! Enjoy the pic...

post-15368-1381944699347_thumb.jpg

most set amps i have heard built by a reputable dealer are dead quiet on klipsch and much more sensative horn systems, i have also heard several very quiet pp designs , i am currently using a solid state amp with a tube pre-amp and the results are very nice nakamichi pa5II nelson pass design (think threshold) i am more than a little supprised at the harmonic quality

Joe

Maybe older s/s amplifiers hiss as well. But I still think we've been brainwashed by the concept of tube ownership - just like those that buy Bose just because it's Bose...

I'm not sure what you mean here, Edwin. I don't have anything against SS equipment. Good equipment is good equipment, and there are a lot of beautiful pieces of SS gear out there in the market.

Bruce

Maybe older s/s amplifiers hiss

Got an old 1975 Marantz 250M amplifer and Marantz 3600 preamp that are dead silent on horns. My higher end Aragon and Audible Illusions had some hiss but not these old dinasours. Had some adcom gear and again the same hiss. So I dont actually agree that all this newer stuff is dead silent and old ss is junk.

I ran across the Blue Circle integrated at a local shop one time. The insides look e-x-t-r-e-m-e-l-y well made (from an amateurs point of view) and the outside was so industrial looking and it's hard to see that from a photo. Another thing about it was the seperate volume knobs, how much trouble would that really be to use? Too bad I didn't take it home just to give it a listen, may have been most interesting.