ok, I give up.... you guys forced me to look at seperates.... you are all EVIL!

computerjunky

let me start off by saying, my wife now hates all of you.... [:)] as the potential price tag on this keeps going up.... i may have to compromise and buy this stuff in steps over 2 years now....

myself, I am hooked and i haven't even purchased a thing yet... yesterday i went and demo'ed a system with rotel seperates hooked to dare i say it on these forums.... B&W 700 series speakers... i must say i was impressed with the sound...

i am curious, i am not sure i can get an objective comparison between klipsch and B&W on a klipsch forum, but here goes. can anyone tell me the difference. (i am not really looking for deap technical specs, more of a high level, this does this better and that does that better type explination) would be lost in the technical detail anyway.

second, can anyone tel me the difference in performance of rotel amp compared to say emotiva amps, other than the fact the rotel cost out the ***.. say 2 or 3 hundred dollars more for half the watts....

third.... can anyone clue me in on how i would go about matching seperates up to get a good system... ie what would i use for a source.. if i look at pre-amp products they seem to all be major expensive. can you use a regular av receiver as an imput, or do you have to have the low power imput for these amps, not really sure what i am talking about... which is why i am asking.....

forth.... any suggestions on power conditioning/protection equipment for the new setup?

i want a system that is 95% for movies, but when i crank up music that 5% of the time.. i want it to blow my socks off with the GREAT sound..

help please!!!!

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

let me start off by saying, my wife now hates all of you....

That's ok, Amy hates some of us too... [:(]

i am not sure i can get an objective comparison between klipsch and B&W on a klipsch forum

Perhaps true, so I'll at least mention something that WAS an honest thought. Last year, I was at the KLipsch gathering in Indy. While there, they had some of us do an A/B test. Unbeknown to me at the time, one of their speakers was a B&W speaker. As it turned out, some of the things I said about "speaker A" (which was the B&W), went along the lines of "it sounded nice and plesant however, instead of sounding like the musicians were IN the room with me, it felt more like I was listening to background music at a doctors office" They DID sound nice but the other brand (Palladium) simply sounded more real and life like to me. I actually gave my honest thoughts and didn't peek behind the curtain to see what I was listening to. There was really no comparison for me at the time.

After all that said, what's your budget, room size, how loud do you like it, how "life sized" do you REALLY want it to be? When your socks get blown off, do you want them simply removed or do you want a blue dress involved? [:^)]

After all that said, what's your budget, room size, how loud do you like it, how "life sized" do you REALLY want it to be? When your socks get blown off, do you want them simply removed or do you want a blue dress involved? Huh?

lol, pretty good.. I appreciate the input on the comparison of the 2 brands..... as for the socks, simply removed would be acceptable, but blue dress involvement would be even better. Room is 18X18 with the back wall missing (opens to a kitchen area) adding another 10+ feet beyond on the back side for 3/4 of the room.... House is pretty much a mid 80's box... as for volume level, not into breaking dishes in the cabinets, just want good clean sound.

budget, well lets see.. inital budget would be somewhere in the $6,000 range for speakers and system minus tv.... but that number is not solid.. if i can do it for less, that is great... if it takes a 4 or 5 thousand more to get what i want, that's ok as well... I currently have 10+ year old equipment that doesn't even approach mid range stuff. The speakers are however acceptable to continue using in the short term, as they are what i am used to.. they are solid (b&w off brand) 5.1 surround system speakers. They work ok for movies, but music kind of sucks through them.

My thought would be similiar to this,

1) upgrade the system components first (as real good speakers hooked to a crappy system, will just disappoint me)

2) upgrade the speakers next.... thinking of initially using my existing 4 speakers as the surrounds and upgrading the front 3 and bass unit. adding updated surrounds later.

3) upgrade the TV (current tv is capable if 1080i, but i want an lcd)

I however, will most likely do whatever the concensus on these forums is, it seems that most of you have forgotten more about audio than i ever knew....

• Moderators

I for one absolutely love the sound of B&W. Always have. They make truly a phenomenal speaker...with that said...they are much more expensive than comparable Klipsch speakers. To me, B&W sound very natural and very musical. Not sure if I have ever heard them in a HT setup. I would be happy with a good B&W or Klipsch setup. Either way, you cannot go wrong.

I would have to disagree with your logic on the order of purchasing in that I would purchase quality speakers first, then electronics. The reason is that if you are looking to do this over a 2 year period, receivers and/or pre/pro's will have changed drastically by then. No sense spending tons of money on something that might be old technology. Speakers for the most part don't change. So buying the best speakers you can afford will still be incredible speakers in 2, 10 or 20 years down the road. I think using existing speakers is fine for your rear until more funds become available to get the matching ones for your fronts.

It's a fun ride, it's expensive, and patience is a virtue. Take your time, shop around, research and piece it together as you can afford it. Good luck!

If I had $6000 to do a complete overhaul to my home theater sans TV I would probably spend $4500 on the speakers and $1500 on the electronics.

http://www.klipsch.com/products/details/rf-63-home-theater-system.aspx

That's the sytem I'd go with if I were 95/5 movies/music. I know MSRP is close to $6k but if you negotiated a 25% discount on the package (shouldn't be too hard) that brings you below $4500.

I would have to disagree with your logic on the order of purchasing in that I would purchase quality speakers first, then electronics. The reason is that if you are looking to do this over a 2 year period, receivers and/or pre/pro's will have changed drastically by then. No sense spending tons of money on something that might be old technology. Speakers for the most part don't change. So buying the best speakers you can afford will still be incredible speakers in 2, 10 or 20 years down the road. I think using existing speakers is fine for your rear until more funds become available to get the matching ones for your fronts.

so your saying that i should buy $4,500 +- worth of speakers and power them withTechnics SA-AX710 av receiver that one of the rear channel speaker connectors only works when you mess with the wires a little while.......

last page has specs: http://service.us.panasonic.com/OPERMANPDF/SAAX910.PDF

I don't know about that, I find that interesting advice, as i think the Smithsonian has my receiver in their antique collection. But your logic makes sense from the point of view of speakers last forever.. (unless you do something stupid to them and blow them up)

If I had $6000 to do a complete overhaul to my home theater sans TV I would probably spend $4500 on the speakers and $1500 on the electronics.

http://www.klipsch.com/products/details/rf-63-home-theater-system.aspx

That's the sytem I'd go with if I were 95/5 movies/music. I know MSRP is close to $6k but if you negotiated a 25% discount on the package (shouldn't be too hard) that brings you below $4500.

wow, that is the exact set i was looking at! how did you guess.....

so if i have 1500 to say 2500 +- to spend on the equipment to drive these bad boys.... what am i looking at... suggestions?

at this rate, i might end up in the motorhome... :( the good news is it has satalite tv and internet

The bad news is the motorhome plugs into HER side of the house...(insert image of clippers cutting the cords...)

I don't think I'm allowed to give my true opinion on this thread since it's probably over budget and would probably make you settle for killer 2-channel and forget HT forever...

Just in case though....where ya located and do you have concerns about asthetics?

let me start off by saying, my wife now hates all of you.... Smile

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

i want it to blow my socks off with the GREAT sound..

My wife gives me a really serious look sometimes too so I'm used to it..[:)]

I guarantee Klipsch can blow your socks off when necessary.

Starting with speakers you are happy with is where I would start. Good Luck!

• Moderators

so your saying that i should buy $4,500 +- worth of speakers and power them withTechnics SA-AX710 av receiver that one of the rear channel speaker connectors only works when you mess with the wires a little while.......

If your receiver is that old, buy an inexpensive receiver to start off with, maybe a used Onkyo. It probably won't have all the latest and greatest but it will sound great with good speakers. My thought is, why spend $1500 on a receiver and not be able to buy good speakers to go with it. I guess it depends on how much available funds you have to get started. You might be able to buy a good receiver and a pair of speakers. Then buy the rest of the speakers as you go. Lots of ways to approach it and still end up in the same place. Just different ways of getting there.

at this rate, i might end up in the motorhome... :( the good news is it has satalite tv and internet

The bad news is the motorhome plugs into HER side of the house...(insert image of clippers cutting the cords...)

I don't think I'm allowed to give my true opinion on this thread since it's probably over budget and would probably make you settle for killer 2-channel and forget HT forever...

Just in case though....where ya located and do you have concerns about asthetics?

ok, i'm scared now....

but here goes.. i live near
dallas tx. asthetics? sure i would like it to look good as well as
sound good...... but i am willing to entertain your suggestion. as far
as over budget, as long as we are not talking crazy stuff like 10,000 a
speaker or something. I am flexible, just may have to do it in
phases... The 6 grand figure i put up is a starting place, thats what
i can realisticly spend immediately upon deciding... if the decision
limits that to just speakers or just components, as long as it's
operational, I can add more to this over the next year to complete the
system out. I have set an arbutrary max of 10,000 (excluding tv) so lets say if your going to suggest a system more than 10,000 it will be out of my range. I find it hard to beleive I can not get a quality good sounding system for between 5 and 10 thousand dollars. I am not expecting studio stuff here. just decient quality stuff that make you say WOW when you listen to it.

I would like to get some good stuff, but i don't want to
just spend money for the sake of spending it... i will spend if there
is a realistic difference in the overall quality of the sound that can
be heard by an average human... I really do use this mostly for movies, doubt i would ever go for the killer 2-channel system....

If your receiver is that old, buy an inexpensive receiver to start off with, maybe a used Onkyo. It probably won't have all the latest and greatest but it will sound great with good speakers. My thought is, why spend $1500 on a receiver and not be able to buy good speakers to go with it. I guess it depends on how much available funds you have to get started. You might be able to buy a good receiver and a pair of speakers. Then buy the rest of the speakers as you go. Lots of ways to approach it and still end up in the same place. Just different ways of getting there.

You are saying the rf-63 home theater system would not be good speakers? what would you suggest?

Yes that is a viable option, buying a interum receiver for during the process. i have set an arbutuary max of 10,000 on the system. the 6,000 would be initial purchase. with the possibility of additional purchases over the next few months to finish out the system. i could even use my existing speakers as the surround speakers, and my existing 10" base unit, for the first part of the purchase, then fill in the rest of the speakers later. that would allow me to buy better components up front... everyone keeps saying to buy the speakers first though, so a better option might be what you suggested.. buy the entire speaker set and an interum receiver.... then buy the components as one off's

What i am really looking for is total finished system suggestions within my range... and a path to get there from where i am at now.

i live near dallas tx

Do/can you get to Arlington or Waco or Austin? Ya game for a listen?

sure i would like it to look good as well as sound good

nice thing about movies....they're usually in the dark... (think putting a paper bag over a date in high school, but she had a fantastic figure)

as long as we are not talking crazy stuff like 10,000 a speaker

Ok....good.... (the dark side is becoming stronger....) [:P]

just decient quality stuff that make you say WOW when you listen to it.

Do ya want "wow' or "OMGGGGGGGGGG" ?

I really do use this mostly for movies

I've been planing a HT in my basement but honestly... I still sit back and go "OMGGGGGGGG" when I hear this in 2 channel, so have reconsidered (another tidbit is I don't want to and can't afford the $$$ and space requirements for 3 more of these beasts)

(to anyone reading who knows where this is going... it's going to be fun seeing how quickly he tells me I'm a NUT, runs and hides from anything else I have to say, totally (and appropriately) thinking I'm an idiot [:P])

Arlington and Waco are close, Austin i get to about twice a year. what do you have in mind? space requirements? What are you talking about..

maybe something with specs like: 38.5” H (97.79 cm) x 24.25” W (61.60 cm) x 25.25” D (64.14 cm)

or: 35.75" H (90.81cm) x 25.31" W (64.29cm) x 15.5" D (39.37cm)

or maybe even: 50 .75” H (128.91 cm) x 31.25” W (79.38 cm) x 28.25” D (71.75 cm)

if so, beleive it or not i actually considered these for use as the main speakers in the system, but have no clue how i would match a center channel to them. and it would be like putting 2 additional very large subs in the room from a space perspective... room not really big enough, well..... maybe it is.... :) on top of that, it would expand the budget by just a little bit i am sure...

---------------------

Lets get this over with, "your a NUT" I will not call you an idiot, as i don't know you well enough for that... but i do know a good hiding spot!

so question, are they really that good.... I mean do they just stand out compared to say rf-63 or r-83....