Cleaning Vinyl

sean5340

I've read alot about cleaning vinyl but have have been very leery about giving it a shot. After the last Mardi Gras parade of the season and about 10 12 beers down I decided to give it a shot. I pulled out a good Johny Cash that made losts of noise. Not just crackle and pops but consistent sizzle. I used warm water and Dawn dish liquid with a soft bristle brush. I used my fingers to saturate the surface and work the soap in all the grooves. I then rinsed it and brushed it all the way around. I could actually feel the brush riding the grooves. One more rinse and dry with a lint free cloth then off to give it a spin.

DEAD SILENT!

Vinyl is way more durable than I had imagined. Hopefully when I listen later and sober the results will not have changed.

Geeze, next you'll be stacking 'em up in the dishwasher!

UHOH, not supposed to do that?

Please tell me it's Ok, should I stop the drying cycle?

YES!!!! [N] I pull them out BEFORE the drying cycle, then place on living room carpet and run the dyson over them! Or,you can use the Microwave if you are in a hurry! [+o(]

Clean as a Whistle!!!! [Y]

Dennie

I did this the other day to some mildewed (yuck) records from my brother's collection.

Just make certain that your water is WARM and not hot. Hot water will warp an LP in no time.

I used an old Discwasher on mine, couldn't find my microcarbon brushes, think they would do a better job.

To dry, I used some glasses so the LP would dry on both sides and the label wouldn't be on a damp rag, worked great but the kitchen sure looked funny when I was done.

M

I've used a Discwasher brush for years but hadn't really thought about using the dishwasher... I'd be afraid the labels would soak off...

Anybody here try the handheld steamer method? I bought one of the little perfection models from Walgreens a while back but still havent' had time to try it out. Even bought a kind of dirty looking LP or 2 from the Goodwill to practice on.

I've used a Discwasher brush for years but hadn't really thought about using the dishwasher... I'd be afraid the labels would soak off...

Anybody here try the handheld steamer method? I bought one of the little perfection models from Walgreens a while back but still havent' had time to try it out. Even bought a kind of dirty looking LP or 2 from the Goodwill to practice on.

I swear by the steamer. I clean them, put in an MSFL insert and just play them without having to re-clean. It is teh best method that I have seen yet.

Sorry guys, a little off topic but related.

Is there a appliance repair guy on here?

My wife is so po'ed at me. Her dishwasher has this black stuff hardened on the heating element and she demands I get it off. I told her I would fix it after I found my d*mn albums I lost.

Add soap.

Surprise Mark. Do you use the pressure washer for routine cleaning or only the really filthy LPs in your collection?

I've seen Mark's rig. The pressure washer is set up right at the turntable, so it cleans every time he plays a record. As a bonus there is no gunk on his stylus (wherever it went).