Baby cheeks orientation?

greg928gts

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was under the impression that the 2404 was a 90x90 dispersion? If so, it wouldn't matter.

Regardless of the actual dispersion pattern, I seem to recall the statement (from when I had mine and asked same thing) "it doesn't matter"

soooooooooooooooooooo,

It don't matter!

[Y]

coverage is 100X100, which would suggest it doesn't matter...looking at the graphs...the horizontal looks a little better than the veritcal off axis....problem is ...it dones not indicate which is which.

2404.pdf

Beyma's literature shows 100x60 with widest dispersion with the cheeks in the up/down position

http://www.usspeaker.com/beyma%20CP25-1.htm

So the Beyma is different than the JBL. US Speaker says it's a replacement for the JBL, so I just assumed that it would be the same. This is one of my pet peeves about companies in general, is that they don't give complete enough information on their products. Wouldn't that be a fairly important little detail to explain on your website?

I looked at the orientation of the tweeter shown on the US Speaker site and on ALK's site before installing them in my new Khorn horns, and they both showed the cheeks up and down. Then I saw a picture of Cigarbum's Cornscala, and he had the cheeks side to side, and that's when the confusion started.

Greg

The JBL 2404 has a verticle slot in the throat,,, and should be mounted in the verticle position,,,, JBL mounts this unit that way in all there tweeter installations,,,Also that baby cheek horn design is made in two larger sizes (2344) and the throat is in the verticle position. for a smoother dispersion pattern,,even though polor patterns look simmiler,,,, Beyma and EV throat designs are different and do not function the same. Paudio also has a large baby cheek horn without the slot throat,, and has a very poor pattern,..

'Baby Cheeks' is a rather generic term, what's to say that the manufacturers don't use different curves and therefore have different dispersion patterns?

Of course they could be measuring things differently I suppose. Only a good read of the polar plots would tell the whole story.

Yes the throat and mouth shapes are very different on the JBL units,,, compared to the Beyma and EV... No its not a generic design,,, You have to look closely to see what each was designed for.

I agree with you Maron, what I was stating that by calling all of them 'baby cheeks' we are discounting the different design philosophies and polar patterns of each design. It's the generic TERM that gets in the way of understanding.

Are we in agreement that the two photos at the beginning of this thread show the correct orientation for each design?

JBL cheeks horizontal (ie: mounting screw flanges Top and Bottom)

The Beyma looks from their data sheet(should be made much clearer about details like this) to indicate cheeks vertical (ie: mounting screw flanges left and right).

Greg since it is a 100 x 60 degree horn I believe it would be pretty easy just to run some high frequency pink noise through the horn and confirm for yourself which orientation gives you the 60 degree dispersion which of course you will want to use vertically.

mike tn