Emotiva vs. Parasound vs. Rotel

Kain

How do Emotiva amplifiers sound with Klipsch? I've read that Parasound amplifiers sound warm while Rotel amplifiers sound quite bright with Klipsch. Is this true? Is Parasound or Rotel worth the extra money over Emotiva?

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How do Emotiva amplifiers sound with Klipsch? I've read that Parasound amplifiers sound warm while Rotel amplifiers sound quite bright with Klipsch. Is this true? Is Parasound or Rotel worth the extra money over Emotiva?

I really like the Emotiva with Klipsch. I have not heard Rotel with Klipsch but I have listened to Rotel with Dynaudio and thought it was a little on the bright side. That could have been room treatments as well though, not sure. It was bright enough that I never considered it when making my choice on seperates though. To me it was between B&K and Emotiva and I went Emotiva due to the awesome price. I have been very pleased. To me Emotiva is one of the best audio bargains out there right now.

I just sold a Rotel amp because I wanted to get a bigger one. I had a RMB-1066 (60x6 or 150x3) and I don't think its as highly regarded as its bigger brothers are. I was thinking I'd love to get a RMB-1095 (200x5) but because of price I was going to get a RMB-1075 (120x5). So many people talked so highly of Emotiva I decided to give them a try and got a XPA-5 (200x5) new for less then half of what I was seeing 1095s sell for used. I was worried since the old saying you get what you pay for is often true.

I've had the XPA-5 for a few weeks but have not listened to music as much as I had liked during that time. I've got about two weeks left on the money back deal so I need to really make up my mind soon. I guess you can tell by that last sentence I'm not totally sold on Emotiva now. Maybe its just my memory playing tricks on me but when I listen to music that I listen to often I don't think it sounds as good now. What I call the sound stage is duller now. The separation of lyrics and instruments isn't as good. I was running the 1066 bridged to a pair of Forte IIs and an Academy and I had read that when you bridge that amp its damping goes down a lot and that effects sound quality but I really think the Rotel sounded better. I could listen to straight or pure direct and for the first time the music sounded good where with the receiver alone it always sounded like crap.

Now in all fairness to the Emotiva amp I also changed a few things around and unhooked everything so maybe my receiver (Yamaha 663) isn't set exactly as it was before and I need to check everything over. I'm using the receiver's auto setup results now where before I tweaked it a little and maybe the difference is there. I read somewhere you should give the basic auto setup a chance for a while because we're so used to the way we've set our EQs that when we hear it the way it is supposed to sound we don't like it. It did say to tweak it after you give it a chance, no auto set up is perfect but to give it a chance. I'm sure we could fill a whole new thread on that topic. Believe me for the money I want to love the Emotiva and not have to go buy a Rotel but right now I'm leaning more toward sending the Emotiva back and going back to Rotel. If the little bridged Rotel sounded good I just can't help but wonder what the others would sound like!!!

Emotiva is highly regarded on this site so I would say take my thoughts with a grain of salt. Like I said I may have some work to do with the EQ. Speaker placement has not changed since the Rotel, just the EQ. As far as Rotel being bright I didn't feel it was at.

I own a couple Rotels and would argue the "brite" sound versus many others I have heard thru Klipsch.

rsp1068,

I noticed your screen name and then read your signature that lists your system. You're definitely a Rotel guy!

I wish you lived up the street so I could beg you to bring your 1075 over for a side by side comparison with the XPA-5. That would make my decision so much easier.

I just thought of another thing that has changed in my setup since adding the XPA-5. With the Rotel I was using the cheapest POS rca patch cords that I had laying around since the '80s. Probably came free with something I bought and just never used. By the time the XPA-5 had arrived I had some new interconnects from monoprice.com waiting for it. So I'd think that would help the Emotiva out but maybe the junk patch cords were magic [:D]

I've owned all mentioned,the Parasound would be my choice,it's twice the price or more for maybe a few % better,maybe.I would rather have a 1095 than a x-5,it's also twice the price,on sale or used.So,for the money the Emo can't be beat,for twice or more it can be.

The funny thing is I like the sound of my old lpa1 better than the x5.These amps are great for someone with an avr and wanting more power for cheap,as it beats most any avr amp easily and sounds quite good.

I found a used LPA-1 I could have bought for $400 delivered to my door (I guess about $65 or so of that was shipping). I still second guess myself on passing that up. I guess my logic was at 125 wpc I might still wonder if I should have gotten more but at 200 wpc (and the guys at Emotiva telling me the XPA amps are a whole different beast with way more grunt to them) I knew I'd be happy power wise. Of course truth be known I'm sure my system would have sounded great with 125 vs 200 and I was just talking myself into more for the sake of having it. I doubt I have to explain that concept too much to anyone on this forum!!! Anyway I figured the XPA-5 would be an amp I'd own for a while, and it still may, I just have to do some real serious listening and decide for sure.

Fish,

I notice you have a Emotiva lmc1/lpa1 for one of your systems and a Onkyo 805 on the other.

Did you start with the 805 then add the lpa1 then add the lmc1 or was it always two different systems. I guess I'm looking for your feedback on how you felt adding an amp to the 805 improved the SQ and the when you went to a true pre/pro with the amp how much improvement did you notice then?

I ask because thats kind of the path I'm on with the 633. I'm looking for the right amp right now and feel its worth adding but I'm not sure about pre/pros yet.

I am a believer in "sonic signatures" when manufacturers design, and with any gear I have ever had, the further up the chain I go, the "more" of that sound I have gotten. That has been the case with front end gear as well as speakers. And regardless of all of our thoughts, opinions, your the one putting out the $$ and your the one who is listening. If your in the "building" stages, a good way to go is try used from audiogon, and your money can typically be gotten back if you don't like a piece. Its a good way to "sample" different manufacturers in your enviroment on your speaks.

I was just thinking I should revisit this thread to say that after rerunning my auto setup on my receiver I got a lot better sound now than I did before.

I don't want to sway anyone away from getting Emotiva because I'm now much happier with the XPA-5. I do still wish I had a Rotel to compare it to side by side but there isn't really a way to A/B amps so who knows if I'd really gain anything with all the messing around... wait, I do have two pairs of Forte IIs so if I had two amps couldn't I just use Y connectors... ah nevermind! For the difference in money between the Rotel RMB-1095 and the Emotiva XPA-5 and the sound I'm getting now I'd probably still stay with the Emo so why bother!!!!

I had the opportunity to have both Rotel (RB9xx series) and Parasound(HCA-1205A) amps to audition/play with for a couple of weeks. With Forte IIs at least, it was almost impossible to tell ANY difference between them. If I was forced to choose, I probably give the Parasound a slight advantage. On the other hand, the difference was SO INSIGNIFICANT, I would never consider Parasound an upgrade over Rotel. They are BOTH fine amps and will faithfully handle any input fed to them.

I had the opportunity to have both Rotel (RB9xx series) and Parasound(HCA-1205A) amps to audition/play with for a couple of weeks. With Forte IIs at least, it was almost impossible to tell ANY difference between them. If I was forced to choose, I probably give the Parasound a slight advantage. On the other hand, the difference was SO INSIGNIFICANT, I would never consider Parasound an upgrade over Rotel. They are BOTH fine amps and will faithfully handle any input fed to them.

Thanks for your feedback.

You say the difference was very small yet you pick the Parasound. What makes you pick the Parasound over the Rotel?

.You say the difference was very small yet you pick the Parasound. What makes you pick the Parasound over the Rotel?

Let me clarify a bit... I already owned the Rotel. I had upgrade fever, and the Parasound was available for me to play with. Maybe ANY difference was completely in my mind. I did a lot of listening, comparing and wrestling with the choice. In the end, I just couldn't justify getting rid of the Rotel for the Parasound. They both sounded very good. The last 'upgrade' that I consider worthwhile was the preamp/digtial processor DAC. About 5 five years ago, DACs got MUCH better.... a very audible improvement.

Fish,

I notice you have a Emotiva lmc1/lpa1 for one of your systems and a Onkyo 805 on the other.

Did you start with the 805 then add the lpa1 then add the lmc1 or was it always two different systems. I guess I'm looking for your feedback on how you felt adding an amp to the 805 improved the SQ and the when you went to a true pre/pro with the amp how much improvement did you notice then?

I ask because thats kind of the path I'm on with the 633. I'm looking for the right amp right now and feel its worth adding but I'm not sure about pre/pros yet.

I've had the Emo since it was first released.In the room with the 805 I had several HK's 6xx previously,I just wanted hdmi and the 805 has plenty features and power.The Onkyo will never sound as good as the HK,the pre section just ain't as musical,but it's a beast for HT.I don't think the 805 would be a good unit for adding an amp,it's built in amps are quite capable (THX ultra) with the limitations of the pre section,imo that is.The sound you hear and enjoy is mostly due(after speakers) to the source and pre section of a system,imo,any capable(real) 75 watt amp will drive Klipsch to deafening levels.

I've had BK,Adcom,ATI,Rotel and several 200 watt per ch amps on the same speakers(7's) over the years,all good,my Rotel prepro(1068)is the only thing I miss but...no hdmi etc.....I sold it while the selling was good.I could be just as happy with my lpa1 as any I've owned,but I need a new hdmi prepro bad.....

I agree,very little difference but slight edge to Parasound.I was impressed with the 1205a,I had one a few years.The 1205 was an amp that after it ran for about 25 minutes just got the sweetest sound,never experienced that with the others,it also would fry eggs.

I have only heard Rotel and am happy with my RMB1075 but as if too bright, or not I have no idea as I have nothing really to compare with.

Time for upgrade.. thinking of RC64 then this Rotel Preamp came up (refer below link). I wonder what would be the better next upgrade better centre speaker or better preamp. At the moment I have RC35 and Yamaha AVR as preamp – both the Rotel and Yammy does not have hdmi.. what to do?

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Rotel-1068-7-1-surround-sound-processor_W0QQitemZ250386669877QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAU_hifi_system?hash=item250386669877&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2%7C65%3A1%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

I'm an Emotiva owner (a very satisfied one) but I think there is one point not yet raised here. The thread is comparing manufacturers, but there would be a big difference in comparing specific models. I have and Emotiva LPA-1 and an RPA-2 and while I like them both, they have completely different price points and functions. One is a 'reference' 2 channel and one is a 7 channel. I know this is true of the other brands as well (I looked long and hard at Rotel, and a couple others before buying)

Emotiva will give you great sound and value (very few people are ever unsatisfied and most are amazed). Just make sure you are comparing the same features/models, which I haven't seen mentioned (but then again I might have missed it)