Rent payment.......

tommyboy

So, here's what's going on. Our rent, which is 925 is due on the 15th of every month, for the upcoming month. The way we normally pay is half on the first, and half on the 15th. Nowhere in the lease does it say we HAVE to pay like that. Actually, after living here for about 3 months, I simply asked if it was ok to pay like that. Landlord said that was fine; so we started paying like that.

Keep in mind, the whole 925 isn't due until the 15th of every month, for the upcoming month. So as I type this, I'm paid up until the 15th of March. We've had a pretty unexpected month, money wise. So, I sent my landlord an email saying that this month, we'll just pay the whole 925 on the 15th. (tax return comes in in about 6 days) Well, she didn't like the sound of that. I replied to her email explaining that we're paid up until the 15th, so nothing is different. Except for me doing one big payment as opposed to 2 half payments. She hasn't replied to my email yet though. I'm sort of freaking out, but on the other hand, I'm like, no, she's wrong, etc. etc. So, if she demands that I pay the half now, what do I do? Also, keep in mind, in case you didn't read my post last week about moving in July, that we've already told her we won't be renewing the lease; so Im not exactly on her "cool guy" list right now.......

Forgot to mention...... We went to Memphis, as many of you know this weekend, and we got totally snowed in. I told her prehand that we were going out of town, and she said just to make the payment for the first when we got back. Which is why today's the 5th, and what I was refering to is the payment for the first. And like I said, total rent payment isn't due til the 15th......

Its a legal matter, what does the rental contract say? If its as you claim, full payment due on the 15th, then you are free in clear. If you pay half early there should be some bonus of a slighly lesser payment or perhaps you have been already enjoying that or the landlord has.

I agree with the notch on the top!

If you (presumably) have a written/signed contract and it states your rent is due in full "on or before" a date then that date is your concern, not what she might be saying now.

I gotta say though, my experience has usually been that the rent is typically due on the first of the month so it not being due til the 15th strikes me as a bit unique.

I certainly haven't reviewed all the rental contracts in the nation though so my experience doesn't mean squat.

Let us know what happens

Your prior written contract is null and void when you entered the new verbal contract (in most states, it's called the meeting of the minds).

Once you started the new verbal contract, to revert back to the prior one, once agian requires a meeting of the minds.

To make this moreof a stickler for the land lord...you already got an extention to the 5th on the payment you verbally agreed to pay on the 1st.....now you want to say you will pay on the 15th.

These are tough times....there may be some dependency on the incoming cash....

Pay as agreed in your revised verbal contract.....it is binding.

What will happen if you pay late? Nothing. I was a landlord for years and I will never do that again. The tenants have the landlords over a barrel. Don't let her scare you. Pay her when you damn well feel like it. Do you think she could toss you out and rerent? No friggin way. You can go without paying for about 3 months before she could get you evicted. You are nervous over nothing. Quit communicating so much with her. Just pay her once a month and quit talking to her and sending her email.

If you (presumably) have a written/signed contract and it states your rent is due in full "on or before" a date then that date is your concern, not what she might be saying now.

I gotta say though, my experience has usually been that the rent is typically due on the first of the month so it not being due til the 15th strikes me as a bit unique.

I certainly haven't reviewed all the rental contracts in the nation though so my experience doesn't mean squat.

Let us know what happens

We moved in on the 15th of June, 08; hence why full rent is due on the 15th. Thanks for the info guys!

Let us know what happens

We moved in on the 15th of June, 08; hence why full rent is due on the 15th. Thanks for the info guys!

The way it has worked for me in the past is if I move in on say the 15th, then the first payment is prorated for the remaining month and then the rent is due in full on the first of each month. That has been the norm here.

Agreed. I'd pay her late on purpose, just to teach her a lesson.

$925.00 seems like it could be a mortgage payment, rather than a rent payment, if you are in such a position. Just food for thought.

My thought exactly! We went through the same thing. Wife had a baby, they wanted to try and tell us that now we would need to get a bigger townhouse "just to be up to code" @ a mere $1200 a month!

Pfft.... yea right! We found a home, bought it through a rural development loan (no down payment, no PMI) and now are paying less than what we would for the townhome, not to mention we are looking forward to the $8000 from Mr. Obama. [:D][Y]

Since the payment thing should be settled...

....as for price. In different areas of the US, houses costs can significantly differ. A Studio aparment (400sqft) costs $1850 a month if I was in the city. A 3br apartment can easuly for for $3600 a month. Houses start at like $325000, which even with say 20% down, you looking at close to $2k a month, if you include you $8k a year in taxes.

Since the payment thing should be settled...

....as for price. In different areas of the US, houses costs can significantly differ. A Studio aparment (400sqft) costs $1850 a month if I was in the city. A 3br apartment can easuly for for $3600 a month. Houses start at like $325000, which even with say 20% down, you looking at close to $2k a month, if you include you $8k a year in taxes.

Probably not quite that much in Gulf Breeze, FL.

WOW, what a hassle. So, I woke up this morning, and she had emailed me. She said it was fine to pay teh full rent on the 15th, but also to remember to send her the half rent for the first half of april. I had to break it down elementary style that I am paid, in full, right now until 15 March. And once I paid on the 15th, I would be paid up until the first of April, which is when I would need to pay the half month. She still didn't understand what I meant, so we talked on the phone, and she finally understood what I meant.

To end this whole mess on a good note, she said it was fine to just pay the whole thing on the 15th. I had to read her, verbatum, what the lease said about paying rent, when it is/was due, etc............. OMG, you would never think something so small could turn into something SO big!