"V-Trac" Midrange Horn Upgrade For Khorns

Introducing a new upgrade for Khorn owners. Now you can truly upgrade the midrange drivers and horns on your speakers, while maintaining the stock look. The "V-Trac" horn is a two-inch throat, pure tractrix, wooden horn that fits under the tophat of the Khorn.

www.dcchomes.com/Vtrac.html

I finally got the pictures taken and the webpages done. Please let me know if you think I've forgotten something, or need to clarify something within those pages.

I would like to find a way to get these out for a few people to try. I really want to share what I'm hearing with other Khorn owners. I don't have a problem sending them to people to try for a couple of weeks, but I can't figure out how to do it without purchasing some expensive components. Anyone have any ideas?

EDIT - I thought I would put some updated info here so people coming to this thread for the first time didn't have to go through all the pages to get this info. I am offering a free demo of the V-Trac horns. If you'd like to sign up to try them out for a couple of weeks, please visit this link for more info www.dcchomes.com/Vtrac3.html

In addition to the V-Trac horn, which is the model specifically made for the Khorn, I am producing the Fc260 horn, which is the same horn without the grill frame and cloth. For more information on this model, please go to www.dcchomes.com/Fc260.html

Greg

post-11090-13819454646068_thumb.jpg

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

" but I can't figure out how to do it without purchasing some expensive components. Anyone have any ideas? "

What do you mean?

I can send out the horns for people to try, but they will have to buy drivers and probably crossover networks, and then what if they decide they don't want them? I don't know if drivers are returnable.

Greg

ok..

I think that someone who expresses interest in your horn would have 2" drivers.....I got a half dozen pairs and know quite a few folks who have drivers as well. But the selection gets small pretty quick if the criteria is that 400hz and or below needsto be covered.

There's probally some general back ground info needed for the novice....there' aren't too many drivers that work at 400hz and the Khorn cab sounds like crap crossed over at higher frequencies.

I have a pair of JBL 2441s that I bet would make sweet music with these horns.

min xover frequency on the 2441 is 500hz. rated at 70W if a 12db per octave xover is used and 150w if a 18db per octaved xover is used.

the 2442 is 7db louder than the pd5hv so some adjustment mechanism will be needed.

but...the khorn cab sounds better cross over lower than 400 as opposed to higher than 400.

ok..

I think that someone who expresses interest in your horn would have 2" drivers.....I got a half dozen pairs and know quite a few folks who have drivers as well. But the selection gets small pretty quick if the criteria is that 400hz and or below needsto be covered.

There's probally some general back ground info needed for the novice....there' aren't too many drivers that work at 400hz and the Khorn cab sounds like crap crossed over at higher frequencies.

Yes, I think you are correct, that a lot of people are going to need at least some technical explanation of what driver and crossover will be needed with this upgrade, and why. I do explain this in my webpage, but it's possible I need to expand that a bit, we'll see. I'd like to get a little more feedback from people first.

I actually don't think too many people buying the V-Trac upgrade will already have 2" drivers, and as you say, the chances of them having one that can be crossed at 400Hz is probably slim. I figure that anyone buying these is automatically going to be buying new drivers to go with them.

A good portion of people who will be interested in this midhorn upgrade will be those who have stock Khorns, and are ready to make a move to upgrade their speakers. The V-Trac horn is part of a series of upgrades that can really make a substantial difference in the overall quality of sound from Khorns. Not just a tweeter upgrade, not just a crossover upgrade, the V-Trac brings all those upgrades up one more notch by replacing a critical part of the overall sound with a much larger and higher quality component, otherwise not available without modifying the cabinet.

Another portion of people who will be interested in this midhorn upgrade will be those who will purposely buy Khorns (which are a deal on the open market right now), with the intent to upgrade them right from the start. Again, the V-Trac horn really rounds out the package of upgrades and makes it possible to obtain a very high quality speaker at a reasonable cost.

I specifically point out in my webpage that I don't think the V-Trac upgrade is the first upgrade to do. In fact, it's the last thing, or at least should not be done without other upgrades being considered at the same time. This move to a larger midrange driver and horn for me was something that took place far down the road of my audio journey. Earlier in my journey I would not have thought it worth spending the money for this upgrade, but given where I'm at now, it makes perfect sense and is something that I can really appreciate.

Greg

Greg,

I don't have Khorns but do have other things to play them with and run some gross curves. You don't have to send them with the grill cloth if that matters.

jc

I would like to send the horns AND drivers to you, so the curves I see will be with the drivers I recommend. I believe a large proportion of the sound I'm hearing is the driver, not the horn. That was my intent from the begining, to change the proportion of what I was hearing from 1" throat metal horn (K400) to modern, high-quality 2" driver (BMS 4592), and it worked perfectly.

Greg

Fritz,,,The JBL 2441 will go To 400 hz as well as the JBL 2450 with no strain.

This is why I'm not just including drivers with my horns, because there are a lot of drivers out there that people will be willing to try, even if the specs say 500Hz crossover point. I'll make my recommendation, then let it go. Even in the BMS line, there are less expensive drivers that can be crossed at 400Hz, so there are some choices.

Greg

Guest David H

I believe a large proportion of the sound I'm hearing is the driver, not the horn. That was my intent from the begining, to change the proportion of what I was hearing from 1" throat metal horn (K400) to modern, high-quality 2" driver (BMS 4592), and it worked perfectly.

Greg, this is a great explanation for what you are trying to do. No longer is the quest to improve the horn itself but to provide a driver combination to flatten response, has a lower distortion figure, and overall improved sound. Really a win win idea. I am sure when JW runs the tests on your horns you will be pleased with the results.

BTW, when I built a similar pair of 2 inch horns, I ran a 1-2 inch adapter so I could test them using a K-55 and thought they sounded fantastic. This is an option for upgrading a little at a time, especially because you offer a K-77 adaper plate. This way the only initial expense would be the VTRAX. I know this is not what you had in mind, yet is another option for those who ultimately intend to upgrade to the 2 inch driver in the near future.

Guest David H

BTW, when I built a similar pair of 2 inch horns, I ran a 1-2 inch adapter so I could test them using a K-55 and thought they sounded fantastic. This is an option for upgrading a little at a time, especially because you offer a K-77 adaper plate. This way the only initial expense would be the VTRAX. I know this is not what you had in mind, yet is another option for those who ultimately intend to upgrade to the 2 inch driver in the near future.

I may be getting a little ahead of myself, I ran the in room response curved today on my 2 inch hors with adapters an on my 1 inch trachorn clones.

Here are the results this in the Trachorn clone.

post-24405-13819454796068_thumb.jpg

Guest David H

This is my 2 inch midtrax with adapters, as you can see the adapters have a profound effect. Sorry for getting this thread off track.

post-24405-13819454796418_thumb.jpg

This is my 2 inch midtrax with adapters, as you can see the adapters have a profound effect. Sorry for getting this thread off track.

Thanks for that Gothover.

Based on those curves, I've have a hard time recommending that someone could use the V-Trac with their K55's as a first step towards getting 2" drivers.

The more I think about this, the more I think that the V-Trac horn should be purchased with all the upgrades as a package. I know it's a lot of money, but the improvement is so substantial, it's like instantly getting modern, advanced version of Khorns. There is no cheap way to get this performance from a stock looking pair of Khorns.

Greg

You know, I was taking pictures of K55's when I realized that we've been saying 1" drivers versus 2" drivers. I gotta tell ya, the K55 is really a 3/4" driver. I measured it today. It's not 1" across the opening of the driver it's 3/4". Compared to the 2" driver, which is really 2", there's no wonder the 2" sounds so much better.

I should take a picture of the 2" driver side by side with the K55. I'll do that tomorrow and post the pic.

Greg

post-11090-13819454921648_thumb.jpg