The Sizzling sound of music - a stanford professsor informal study

dgoreck

hey, modern carbon-based life forms think digital photography is 'good enough' too!

Would you stop that!!! I keep trying to fool myself so I don't take out a $100K second mortgage to build a wet darkroom!!! Michael, you are going to get me divorced!!! [:D]

MANTRAS: Photoshop is cool, Photoshop is easy, Digital is fast, fast is good, printing is slow, slow is bad, Chemicals cause cancer, film is expensive, I'll break a leg walking around in the dark and nobody will find me and I'll die!

Hard to give the article much credit.

"Someone explained to me that audiophiles liked the sound artifacts of vinyl records -- the crackles of that format."

How many here look for noisey vinyl? They go on to explain that we use turntables because we like th esurface noise because it is familiar to us.

So what is the "higher quality" that he is referrign to? Redbook CD's at 16/44.1?

Headline:

FILM STILL WORKS

No I don't use it anymore, but it IS better. Remember the first couple of years with digital when all the newspaper ads featured horrible photography and large text fonts with jagged lines? It was 'good enough' because it was cheap. The digital age is a constant flow of acceptance of lesser quality for the sake of convenience.

hey, modern carbon-based life forms think digital photography is 'good enough' too!

Would you stop that!!! I keep trying to fool myself so I don't take out a $100K second mortgage to build a wet darkroom!!! Michael, you are going to get me divorced!!! Big Smile

MANTRAS: Photoshop is cool, Photoshop is easy, Digital is fast, fast is good, printing is slow, slow is bad, Chemicals cause cancer, film is expensive, I'll break a leg walking around in the dark and nobody will find me and I'll die!

yeah, but you'll die an ARTIST [;)]

Hard to give the article much credit.

"Someone explained to me that audiophiles liked the sound artifacts of vinyl records -- the crackles of that format."

How many here look for noisey vinyl? They go on to explain that we use turntables because we like th esurface noise because it is familiar to us.

So what is the "higher quality" that he is referrign to? Redbook CD's at 16/44.1?

I do agree. The article lacks a lot of details we would like to see. From a professor, I would like to see more details on his tests, and sa what equipment he used. I guess for mainstream news, most people don't care, and the 'info' in the article is good enough.

FILM STILL WORKS

No I don't use it anymore, but it IS better. Remember the first couple of years with digital when all the newspaper ads featured horrible photography and large text fonts with jagged lines? It was 'good enough' because it was cheap. The digital age is a constant flow of acceptance of lesser quality for the sake of convenience.

I strongly agree. In the camera club I used to belong to, guys that formerly were bringing in great shots would show these colour-banded images and not seem to see how bad they were. Sometimes you see that type of artifact on TV images, too, so maybe people are just accepting this kind of junk because they see it so often.

In a related note, remember when wedding photographers would give the happy couple the proofs to take home, so they could decide which pictures they wanted enlarged for the albums? Not any more! Nowadays, the photog won't let the proofs off his premises, because some couples will scan the proofs and make their own crappy enlargements, telling all their friends that they are the work of the pro they hired.

The photographer makes no money and cheap inkjet prints that make him look bad are in circulation. Many people would rather have free crap than pay for quality. I really hope this is a passing fad, and not an ongoing trend.

I really hope this is a passing fad, and not an ongoing trend.

Unfortunately being a cheap ba$tard is a human weakness and not just a trend........luckly Photoshop can embed some great watermarks that will light up when copied......all the pro's that I know will just place the proofs on a page of their own webpage for clients to view at very small sizes

the nerve of wanting to get paid for for your time , talent and investment!

I don't think most people truly appreciate "real" sound. They're so used to over sampled remixed, compressed, sound that it's what they judge by.

After many years, I finally have what I consider a high end system. Well, at least as high end as my budget will allow. [;)]

My best friend thinks I'm insane for spending as much as I have, but there are those times when I'm sitting and listening, close my eyes and for a moment I forget how good my "system" sounds and I actually hear just the music. In my mind's eye I can see where each instrument is playing.

I have a recording of Amazing Grace done as a trumpet and piano duet. The trumpet sounds just like the musician was standing 10 feet away playing his heart out.

There is so much emotion in music, and I think most people miss it. It just doesn't come across in poor quality recordings.

Remember the first couple of years with digital when all the newspaper ads featured horrible photography and large text fonts with jagged lines? It was 'good enough' because it was cheap. The digital age is a constant flow of acceptance of lesser quality for the sake of convenience.

I worked in the newspaper biz for quite a while. A friend of mine told me that they do all their photos at 200 lpi, which is really pretty darn good for web offset on newsprint. I worked at a paper that only did 85 lines! Newspapers are all about convenience. They don't have time to play, and even a 12 megapixel camera is overkill for the medium.

Our college just built a new darkroom for students, and they can't get enough of it. THe teacher gave them a bunch of foam core and instructions and had them make pinhole cameras. They are doing some incredible stuff. It's magical!

Bruce

Let these kids listen to their compressed MP3s of mindless pop and rap music! They sure as hell won't be listening to a beautifully mastered recording of Beethoven or Miles Davis anyway...more great music for those of us who appreciate it, played on equally refined components!

Hasselblads rule!