WAF and its Relationship to Home Theater Bliss

Olorin

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i'm lucky, i don't have any issues regarding the set up. the only request was not to have multiple movie posters up. she allowed me 1. the back story on that is, i was going to have a dedicated room, movie posters were A OK, then i changed my mind i went with a Living room HT. i still wanted movie posters up, well like i said, i was allowed 1. can't complain too much. she also does't want to hear how much anything costs.

i have a secret weapon.....Bribery.....every so often i buy her a Coach purse and all is well. one time told her i was going to buy a $100 power strip, well it turns out i really wanted something different and end up spending $725 on a furman 20pfi. with out telling her, i took her to the Coach store and told her to choose any purse she wanted. after the purchase, and we were outside, i told her what i bought. have to say, nothing was said.

again, very luck.....

• Moderators

I'm truly blessed. My wife was the one who suggested that I have a dedicated theater room. I later found out that here main reason was to not have any speakers in the living room. I can live with that. I have had free reign to do whatever I want with the room. No size limits on speakers. I cannot however just go and spend money on stuff anytime I want. But the secret to my success has been to keep the wife happy. If she says she wants something, she gets it. No questions asked. Cause I know that I'll want stuff later down the road and don't want any grief about it. So far, that plan has worked great in our house. Not finished yet but so far, we love it!

Here's how it all started. We met in jan 08 while I was home on leave. I was there (Memphis) for 6 weeks, and we decided to wait for each other for the rest of my time in England. (about 3.5 months) I tried to warn her about this hobby, and told her that my living room probably isn't what she's used to. I told her about the system, etc, and she was like OK, as long as I get to decorate the room around the system, then all is good. I said OK, don't act like I didn't warn you!

So, In June 08, we moved to FL together. Once my goods shipment came in, she was like, WOW, your living room really is all speakers. I told her no, I have a couch, and end tables! Then she realized that I'm constantly on the move with gear; selling this to get that, etc. Then I added another sub to the system. I admit it's over kill, (don't tell her that) but still, "don't act like I didn't warn you"! Now you've read my posts about the ROTEL, and I truly have satisfied the "bug bite" for at least a little while. How long that will last is another story. So, like I said, she sort of knew about how big I am into this before she moved in. And she knows that I keep it within the budget, and have a TRUE budget system. I bought all my speakers when she worked at CC, and used her discount, and obviously basically stole the Rotel. So let me explain why the WAF is SO hard core in our house.

I buy this, sell that, and then turn around and buy this. I've invested some good money into this hobby, I mean addiction, since she moved in with me last June. So she just "takes it, and sucks it up" as I do whatever I do with my system, and she gets to enjoy it, and watch chic flics with her friends, etc.

But............................ she gets SO upset about it because as I've built my system up even more than when she first moved in with me, I havn't proposed or put a ring on her finger! [*-)] Need I say more??????

• Moderators

Just be sure that if you two decide to get married that she then comes before the equipment. The way I look at it, what good is it if I had the most incredible system and had no wife to come home to at night. Take care of her, and she'll take care of you. Good luck with both the system and the relationship.

But............................ she gets SO upset about it because as I've built my system up even more than when she first moved in with me, I havn't proposed or put a ring on her finger! Confused Need I say more??????

Ah. This isn't about speakers at all.

• Moderators

No problems with WAF, 9 speakers in the living room, 2 are moving into the bedroom to make room for a pair bigger than the 6 forte ll's for HT combined, this last addition was her idea ! [Y] The 2 being added are for 2 CH only.

Pic's when it is done.

She's accepted that this is just my hobby. Sort of like her and her shoes; only my hobby is just a little more expensive! She doesn't mind so much now. She did a good job of "blending" the system into our Living room. Pictures/wall decorations, etc. And of course, she comes before the system! In my 7 years in the military, I've learned that systems can come and go, but she's a keeper!!! [8-|]

Well I'm not so sure I am qualified to post here. The living room is our HT so I have tried to keep components and speakers on the smaller side. The best purchase she thinks we made was the 42 inch DLP a couple years ago. Now she loves the RB's for music and movies. She hates the SVS sub because she doesn't like a lot of bass and I run the sub a little hot and you can forget about "reference" level listening. I leave the decorating to her and the only thing I have a say in is if it gets real ugly (the furniture). Of course she gets to still buy her shoes, coats and other stuff. BTW size was a big determination about what speakers and tv to go with having 3 windows on wall didn't help. She has quit asking how much stuff costs because she ays that is what we work for.

But............................ she gets SO upset about it because as I've built my system up even more than when she first moved in with me, I havn't proposed or put a ring on her finger! Confused Need I say more??????

A few years ago I had a girlfriend over at the house and she picked up one of my snowmobile magaizes that happened to be laying on the coffee table. Strange because she had NO interest that hobby of mine but for some reason she picked it up. Of course I'd been reading the review of the sled I had just bought and the pages must have opened up to that article because of it. I'm actually shocked she even reconized it as my sled really, again ZERO interest in snowmobiling. But anyway she saw the suggested retail price of my sled (over $9k then, for fun I priced one out this morning and they're over 11k retail now ) and made the comment "I'd better get a hell of a ring someday!!!!"

Lucky for my wallet she didn't work out!! [:P]

i re read my post and it almost seems like i'm "daddy War bucks" but the truth is, i save every penny for a little more than half a year, including both my little bonus, tax rebate, and other extra income like that. it also helped that from jan 1 to some time in March, i only had 3 days off. so it's not like i'm "old money" i worked really hard and sacrificed everything to build up enough money to buy everything at once. i can't buy in pieces, it's all or none.

just wanted to clear that up.

btw...what does WAF stand for again? wife "something" friendly?

A few years ago I had a girlfriend over at the house and she made the comment "I'd better get a hell of a ring someday!!!!"

Lucky for my wallet she didn't work out!! Stick out tongue

HAhahahahahaha THAT, is priceless!

(Some) Women sometimes judge the size of the ring as your commitment to them. I think they sometimes forget, it is not the ring they are getting, but you as a man, providor, lover, and life partner. She will (hopefully) spend the rest of her life with you. In a good marriage, I bet most could care less 5,10 20.... years later. Besides... If she really was "all that" and you two share great success.. Reward her at 25 years, for puttting up with you! I often find the women who complain the most of my friends are the ones that got divorced. It is a sign of commitment..... Not the size of your.... LOL... OK, go buy the huge HT set up and the Porsche now!