external amp and wattage question???????

bekim99

first off id like to say i love quality sound and total control over my individual speakers. so im confused about watts going to a speaker. the klipsch site says you should have more power going to a speaker than it can handle otherwise youd be clipping them right??? so i bought a denon 5800 supposably it give out170 wpc? why then are guys saying on this forum all you need is 20-30 wpc to make the reference line come to life. so 20-30 wattscoming from a external amp or tube amp put out better juice than my denon then?? thanks guys and gals

the klipsch site says you should have more power going to a speaker than it can handle otherwise youd be clipping them right???

I'm under the impression that logic holds, regardless of speaker brand

why then are guys saying on this forum all you need is 20-30 wpc to make the reference line come to life

Cause the average volume will probably be VERY loud with 20/30 watts yet the extra watts on hand will be helpful to prevent clipping which as above, you realize might damage your speaker

so 20-30 wattscoming from a external amp or tube amp put out better juice than my denon then??

A tube amp might sound a bit different, but as long as the power is the same, I'd say there is little difference

• Moderators

As much as we would like to believe, our receivers are not putting out the watts they claim. I've read many times that for most listening, we are only using a few watts to drive our speakers. The extra watts come into play during dynamic music, drum reproduction, explosions during movies etc. The benefit of an external amp is mainly in the power supply. It has a dedicated power supply, just for the amp. A receiver uses a power supply for it's internal amp as well as sound processing and decoding. It's a lot to ask of a receiver to drive 5 or 7 speakers at 170 watts/ch.

I've only had personal experience once with my system. I had an Onkyo 100 watt/ch receiver hooked up to my RF-83's. I had the chance to borrow a QSC external amp at 265 watts/ch. My previous house had a poor design for the living room. The TV was against a freestanding wall and my speakers were out in the open with no wall behind them. Needless to say, the RF-83's produced very little bass. When I added the QSC, bass improved very much, even at low volume. There was more clarity and separation of instruments.

My Yamaha RX-V1800 is rated at 130 watts/ch. As great as it sounds and as much power as it has pushing my 5.1 system, I truly believe I would benefit from adding a separate amp, even just to the front three speakers and let the Yammie only power the surrounds.

• Moderators

Yes it would definitely benefit!!!

Someday when my budget allows. Right now, we are paying for my wife to get her Master's Degree. In an effort to remain debt free, paying cash for school means paying cash for toys. Wish there was enough money for both. [:D]

Yamie 663 here and I do use an outboard amp to power the front two mains, the yamie has no problem with the center and other 4 speakers

Similar setup here. I'm using a Yamaha RX-V750 as a preamp and to power the centre and surround speakers, with a pair of Yamaha MX-D1 amps to power the main speakers, one for the woofers and one for the tweeters. Very good sound for movies, great sound for 2-channel music.

when I did need more power for a Colts Superbowl party a couple years back, I strapped a Crown DC300IIA to my Yamaha RXV 2600 to give more total system watts and save Yamaha power supply for the center and surround channels. I used the Crown to power my LS and it was incredible!

I am not a audio tech whiz. I am a trial and error component swapper. I can not tell you form a technical number crunching standpoint why certain things make a speaker or a system sound better. I can tell you that I have listened to a boatload of different speakers with a ton of HT receivers and external amplifiers. I know what sounds good to ME in MY room and I think it have mt HT setup pretty much like I want it- for now. I will put my pieced together system of 25 yr old speakers and mis- matched large power amps off ebay up against anything(except for similar systems from this forum) at 2 or 3 times the amount that I have invested. I mean absolutely NO disrespect toward anyone's equipment. I offer my opinion only to help a potential buyer make cost effective decisions.

Receiver power does not cut it. Some are obviously better than others. We all agree that Klipsch speakers are the obvious correct choice. They are just too good for the "100-130 watt amplifiers" that HT maunfacturers put into these boxes in a competitive market place. Ok- who out there bought an outboard amp and returned it because it made no difference- please raise their hand.

My 2 cents worth- buy the best fronts and center that you can possibly afford- Then .. buy a 3 CHANNEL OUTBOARD to run them. you can get by with using the HT box to do the rears/surrounds... for now. The best thing that I ever bought ..other than my heritage speakers.. HT related... was a 7 year old -used- no cooling- nasty- raw power- disrespected by audiophiles- Bob Carver 2001 3 channel 250 WPC A753 amp off e-bay for a lousey 500 bucks. My system was immediately kicked into another dimension of audio bliss.

How many watts? the most that your wallet will allow.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, this thread reinforces my decision to amp up my new H/K 354. It sounds good, but as a drummer I know the sound of real bass kick first hand and my RF63's just aren't there yet. It's as if they are being starved of power. I am a loyal H/K guy and this receiver so far is serving it's purpose but I need more low end. I have found an H/K 5 channel amp that is older, is rated at 80WPC x 5 but I wonder if it will be enough?? I also found a Carver 5 ch amp that is rated at 110 to the 2 fronts, 100 to the center and 50 to the surrounds. The carver sounds screwy to me with the different wattages?? Any suggestions??? The models are H/K PA5800 and Carver AV 405

Well Tommyboy,

thanks to a power outage, the auction ended before I could put in my last min. bid. NOT HAPPY!!!! I am watching another one, and also some rotels. I am waiting for that unbelievable deal, but I am also getting impatient!!!! I WANT IT NOW...just like that credit card commercial!!

• Moderators

I am watching another one, and also some rotels. I am waiting for that unbelievable deal, but I am also getting impatient!!!!

I have not had much luck finding "deals" on Ebay. Mine have all come from Craisglist but you definitely have to be patient, continually be looking and have some cash on hand. Good luck with your search.

I am watching another one, and also some rotels. I am waiting for that unbelievable deal, but I am also getting impatient!!!!

I have not had much luck finding "deals" on Ebay. Mine have all come from Craisglist but you definitely have to be patient, continually be looking and have some cash on hand. Good luck with your search.

Yeah Ebay is hit or miss. I just found out about CL last year, I was stuck under an ebay rock. I actually found a pair of MINT RF-63's just about a year old and a Sub-12 on craigslist for 750.00. I have been looking at CL but have not been able to find much, there is a guy local that has an Onkyo M5140 110WPC and a BGW 500D which is a 200 WPC DJ Amp but not really what I had in mind, plus I think I want to amp up the center too. I just signed up on audiogon so hopefully I find what I am looking for there.

Ebay, Craigslist, Audiogon and the Klipsch BS forum. I have bought gear from all of them. Shop and wait. When the good deal comes along..... snag it quick!

OH and for Ebay, don't waste your time waiting for the last second to bid, go to Auctionsniper.com and let them do it for you. You can cancel your bid anytime up until the bid is made so there is no buyers remorse and you are not "on the hook" for bidding more than you knew you should. You can set the lead time to any time you want, mine is set to 5 seconds and the only time I have lost an auction is if the price went above the max price I had set, in advance, while emotion was not involved!!

• Moderators

the Klipsch BS forum

I gotta check that one out. [:P]

Agree with the Ebay tips. I do my research, know what it is worth, have my set bid, bid at the last 10 seconds of the auction, then if I get outbid, it's too late to rebid. Keeps me from overbidding.