NOS Valves VRD - Newest Fan

mmoxley

I have been running the Genalex reissues for 8 months now and they have been fantastic. Sonically I haven't really noticed a tremendous difference, but they seem to be more steady, as I have only had to bias them a couple of times, whereas the last bunch on Valve Arts were all over the place. From my understanding though the VA's are more reliable once again. I have to be honest with the lights out I love the blue glow of the Valve Arts and the fact that it saves me a few bucks compared to the Genalex reissues.

If you still have the original Valve Art's take a look at them and see if the lower side of the tubes (one side) have a getter silvering like the top of the tubes. They changed the construction of the Valve Art a while back and eliminated the side silvering and side getter wring (they changed it to two getter wrings up top instead on one up top and one on the side). The early production of this new version was a bit flaky I found out in time. The current crop has been working fine. My bet is you ended up with some of the early production of the new version.

Craig

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yepper, that is exactly what I have. Actually I have a hodgepodge. The bad one has the side getter, another has a side getter as well and is silvering, and two are of the new type without the side getter. They were a matched quad, but apparently of different styles.

Yepper, that is exactly what I have. Actually I have a hodgepodge. The bad one has the side getter, another has a side getter as well and is silvering, and two are of the new type without the side getter. They were a matched quad, but apparently of different styles.

Is this the original set I supplied to you with the amp? If so gosh Darn AES..... I'm even more shocked I didn't notice that the quad was not all the same construction type during burn in. But really the side silvering is usually on the back of the tubes when installed in the amp and other then that feature they look identical.... way to late to complain and get something done about it now.

I had a quad of the early Valve Arts and two of them failed within a few months. This was a few years ago. Currently I have a quad of Valve Art 350Bs which have been flawless for about two years.

That happens with all makes of tubes! That is why you purchase them from reputable sellers and get them replaced if they fail within 6 months.

I had a quad of the early Valve Arts and two of them failed within a few months. This was a few years ago. Currently I have a quad of Valve Art 350Bs which have been flawless for about two years.

That happens with all makes of tubes! That is why you purchase them from reputable sellers and get them replaced if they fail within 6 months.

You are correct. They wouldn't replace them for me so I exclusively started buying Brent Jessie for vintage and TubeDepot for new.

You are correct. They wouldn't replace them for me so I exclusively started buying Brent Jessie for vintage and TubeDepot for new.

That's a bummer.... Give Doug and www.dougstubes.com a try..... His burn in method really helps limit early failure problems in my experience. Another problem that often cause premature failure with large output tubes is the jarring they take in shipping from the seller to you.

Craig

Craig,

No, it was not the originals that came with the VRD's. One of them quit a couple of years ago, so I just got a complete matched quad, and those are the ones that were bad. One of the original KT88's died a couple of years ago, so I just replaced them all with a matched quad and it was that set that was bad. I just thought about it, I can't believe I have had them for around 4 years now. Since getting into this music endeavor over the last 41/2 years I have had alot of gear, multiple pre's, TT's,CD players, speakers......the VRD's have been the one constant in my setup, I guess it is a testament to the amps and the builder.

Craig,

You've probably mentioned this elsewhere, but where in Northern Michigan are you now? I always intended to get to Burton some day to meet you in your natural habitat. Too late for that now.

Since you didn't indicate UP, I'm guessing you're still below the bridge.

Craig,

You've probably mentioned this elsewhere, but where in Northern Michigan are you now? I always intended to get to Burton some day to meet you in your natural habitat. Too late for that now.

Address is on the NOSVALVES site.

Moving day is tommorrow.

I do not expect to hear from him on the web for a few days.

Craig,

Think "middle of effin' nowhere, east side of the lower peninsula", and you've got it about right. [:D]