narrowed down to 3 recievers...........help

johnny24c

I shopped around for a few months and compared specs on several receivers. I ended up with the 3802 as I got in on-line for around $725 shipped. It has all the features I wanted/needed and has been a great addition to my mid-fi system. I think you'd be very happy with it. Obviously everybody has there favorite, but at least we ALL agree on the BEST speakers Wink.gif

I added a couple of small KLH's to the back center channel for 7.1 and it sounds amazing. Completely encompassed by sound. During JPIII it sounded/felt like the dino's were running through the house!!

HTH....Mike

P.S. The 3802 is 110wpc into an 8ohm load. 150wpc is for a 6ohm load.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My two cents: I have both a HK7000 and a Denon AVR2500. Right now I just have a Ref 3 system as my main HT. The Denon is a prologic receiver and obviously the HK is ready for the digital age. The Denon is rated at 85 watts in stereo and the 7000 is rated at 100 in stereo. It sounds more like a 1000 watt difference than 15. No question the 7000 is a better match to the Klipsch. I like both receivers and still use the Denon in a spare room. I also have a stereo HK that is 14 years old in my work shop. That old HK is only 45 watts and it gives the Denon a good run for the money. The problem with the 7000 is its huge size. The damn thing is like 20" deep. It sticks out the front and the back of my entertainment center. I think the wiser move is the HK, but you can't go wrong with either. The Outlaw 1050 should definitely be considered here though. Logic 7 is Lexicon's version of Prologic II, but they have had it for a number of years. Try and find a 510 and save a few bucks. Just don't buy a refurb from either manufacturer, it's just not a wise idea.

JT

------------------

Enjoy and Happy Listening!

I don't know anything about the other receivers mentioned here except the Denon.I can tell you this.For HT use the Denon lacks nothing.If a person has used all of these receivers then he would be in a position to give a credible recommendation/comparison.None lack sufficient power to power Klipsch speakers to outrageous SPL's I'm sure.However,you should consider what your needs are for hookup and switching.The 3802 will carry you until whatever comes along next.I recommend the 3802 highly.

Keith

And another thing....

Consider the speakers you have and try to buy a receiver that will compliment their sound characteristics.You also have to consider what you are getting,and ease of use, for amount of money you spend.A $3000^ separate set-up will generally smoke a $700 receiver.I'm not sure the separate issue is worth the cost/trouble with some of the receivers available now.Maybe I'm an old fart.Maybe I like ease of use.I do know I want 6.1/7.1/5-7 channel stereo.I do like my 3801.Did I mention I highly recommend the Denon?

Good luck with your choice.

Keith

------------------

KSP-300 FL/R

KSP-C6 CENTER

SW8II C/SUB

KSP-S6 SURR

KSP300 SB

SW12II

SONY KP53XBR35 RP

DENON 3801

DENON DVD3300 DVD-A

SONY MDP455 LDP

ACURUS 125X5

ACURUS 100X3

-----------------

KG5.5 FL/R

KLF-C7 C

KT-DS SURR

SW12II

At first I was overwhelmed by the remote, but I got used to it. It's not as bad as many people claim it to be.

------------------

Denon AVR-2800

KG-4 mains (too bad the rest of my speakers aren't this good)

Polk C-175 center (it's ok)

Infinity RS-10 Surrounds (suck)

Audiosource SW-15 subwoofer (excellent sub for it's price)

Pioneer DV333 DVD

Sony 5 disc CD player

All in a 12x12 apartment bedroom.

"What?! I can't hear you!"

The outlaw 1050 is a lot of bang for the buck - but it's ugly. No, it's really ugly. It breaks the first commandment of Audio: Thou shalt not own ugly components.

As far as I'm concerned this is a complete no brainer.

buy the H&K

------------------

deanG

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned anything about the Onkyo 797. I bought a HK510 from Circuit City but returned it immediately when I found it was being replaced by the HK520. Tehn I found the Onkyo 797 on line for less than the HK520. It is very well build and is extremely versitile in the way it can be configured. I have been very pleased with it in both the music (CD and FM) and the H/T mode. Anyone else had any experience with this receiver? I sold all my old Luxman equipment 5 years ago and kept the Cornwalls. Started to sell them but got many posts telling me to keep them and I'm glad I did. I used them as the basis for the system below.

My system:

Onkyo 797

Panasonic DVD-RV31

Klipsch Cornwalls (1975)-mains

Klipsch RB-3-rears

Klipsch RC-3II-center

Klipsch KSW 12-sub

Sony VEGA FD 36"

Monster cables

I don't care what anyone tells you...GET OPTIMUS! True high-fidelity. I think Fabio uses Optimus all the way around and you know Fabio can't be wrong. As far as speakers go you might want to upgrade to either Yorx, Soundesign or Gran Prix. There's a specific Yorx console unit that had an 8-track player, turntable, HUGE digital clock & a phone?! The speakers that came with that one. Yeah...those are the ones you want.

------------------

Outlaw 1050 A/V Receiver

Rega P3 Turntable

AMC CD8b CD Player

Toshiba 3108 DVD Player

Klipsch KG 4.2s(main)

2 Dynaco A-10/V IIs(centers)

Cerwin Vega E-706s(rears)

Cerwin Vega LW-12(sub)

Parasound PPH-100 Phono Preamp

Vampire Wire Digital Interconnects & Speaker Wire

Check out this crazy-cool Yorx hi-fi gear:

Yorx Analog

Still Going Strong

The Yorx I Remember

Yorx Home Theater Without Any Sort Of Video Features Although The Seller Is Alluding To It

SCREW KLIPSCH

------------------

Outlaw 1050 A/V Receiver

Rega P3 Turntable

AMC CD8b CD Player

Toshiba 3108 DVD Player

Klipsch KG 4.2s(main)

2 Dynaco A-10/V IIs(centers)

Cerwin Vega E-706s(rears)

Cerwin Vega LW-12(sub)

Parasound PPH-100 Phono Preamp

Vampire Wire Digital Interconnects & Speaker Wire

I would think the first commandment of audio would be: "It's what sounds best that matters most."

The first comandment of video might be "It's what looks best counts".

Most audio components are black boxes that disappear in the dark except for a few small lights - they should be heard not seen.

------------------

Soundog's HT Systems

YORX is DA BEST YEAH DA BEST

B0$e better shape up or YORX made overtake them in quality. cwm27.gif

The YORX speakers are sublime,I wish my Klipsch RF-7's and Dynaudio Contour 3.3's were as good LOL

MUA HA HA HA

I did not know some could listen to this kind of(pardon me siree)quality.

Gee whiz,I bet they use "liquid cooled" tweeters and "long throw" woofers(0.0005mm PEAK TO PEAK) LOL

TheEAR(s) Now theears

I'm HK all the way! I wouldn't have it any other way. They are marvelous with Klipsch!

Don't be fooled by the low wattage specs of their units. They can really push a system. Like Montique said,it may be lower,but is pure clean power.

I've recently hooked up the 120 & 220 for a couple of friends and think they are still making fantastic products.

I think Denon is very good.But have always been happy with HK,so will stick with them.

------------------

Jerry

CP RULZ

------------

Mains: KG 5.5

Rears: KG 3.5

Center: KLF-C7

Subs: (2) Antique wooden coffins with (3) 12" Advents in each

Receiver: HK AVR-80

DD Processor: HK ADP-303

DTS Processor: Rotel RDA 985

AudioControl Phase Coupled Activator Series Three

DVD: Toshiba 4109X

Laserdisc: Yamaha CDV-W901

5 CH Amp(for subs): Rotel RB-985

Single Cass Deck: HK TD-420

Dual Cass Deck: HK DC-520

What ever you go with I'm sure you will be fine. I have never had experience with the H/K but I have two things to say about them:

1. They have less watt/channel but have more amps per channel

2. They only allow one set of main speakers. This is a major down fall because many times I want 4 front speakers playing. Or you might have 2 nice clear speakers for movies and music, and 2 speakers for pounding beer party music which is nice to have.

I have experienced the Denon because I bought the 2802 and I have absolutely no complaints. I find it extremely easy to use, clear, and powerfull. I too was in the H/K, Denon, Onkyo debate. I narrowed it down to the Denon and Onkyo because I heard better things about them than the H/K. However, I went with the Denon because my brother owns the Onkyo 777 which is the older version of the 797 and I didn't want to copy him. I like and so does he. Actually it is very easy to use and has and extra input over the Denon and H/K. So I don't know why everyone doesn't recommend the Onkyo because I think it is the best one out there for you. The THX surround EX is nice to have. So I would rank the receivers 1. Onkyo 2. Denon 3. H/K What every you get be sure to brag it up to your friends because they are all nice to show off.