klipschorn speaker

lynn

Welcome.

Have you hooked it up before? Is there only one? Will it be part of a pair?

The two input terminals on the crossover network should be identified as such. If you're lucky, one will be identified as the positive terminal, possibly with red paint. It's also possible, if not likely, that the positive terminal won't be identifiable.

If you're hooking it up as a single speaker, polarity and phase will be relatively unimportant and you can hook the positive lead from your amp to either input terminal. If you have 2 Klipschorns, make certain to hook the positive leads to the same corresponding input terminals to preserve phase between the two speakers. Even if the polarity is reverse from the norma, if they're in phase you shouldn't notice any difference.

Edited by DizRotus

• 6 years later...

This shows it pretty good.  It is the far left set of wires.  The left one goes straight and attaches to a copper? plate along with the other left wires from the 2 other wires and the right wire goes to the little black box there in front.  Sorry about the terms, a rookie at this stuff!  I want to hook them up and listen to them and then I want to take these out and have a engineer at my work test them.  He thinks they probably need replaced.  Thanks!post-62453-0-27460000-1456272424_thumb.jpost-62453-0-29260000-1456272442_thumb.j 

Maybe my understanding of the question is not quite correct.

Some of the answers above seem to based on the assumption that there are eight pairs or screw terminals. And left and right screw terminals are mentioned. But the AK-2 is hard wired at the top from what we see in the photos.

But with the AK-2 the main input is on the woofer hatch. The crossover components and at least one fuse is inside. Then a pair of wires go up to the crossover mounting in the top cabinet.

I stole the schematic from the pinned crossover thread. See below. Your engineering friend will want to see it.

So from the written description, question, and photos: The question seems to be, "Which one wire of the pair coming up from the bottom is the plus and which is the minus?"

The answer, if that is the question, is that the wire going to the copper plate is the minus. My reasoning is that it must be because the other two connections to the plate are heavy wire which must be going off to the minus leads to the mid and tweeter, and not other components of the crossover in the upper cabinet.

And you want to use that to go to some minus connection on the woofer hatch or inside. I don't know what the terminals are like down there though. Naturally the other wire is the plus.

I welcome corrections and any more info

post-453-0-56500000-1456274251_thumb.jpg

Edited by WMcD

That is what I was looking for!  There are a pair of terminals, 1 red, 1 black down below to hook up to but I just wasn't sure which was + or -.  Just wanted to make sure I hooked them up correctly.  I assume from what you are saying then that everything that is hooked up to the copper plate is a - wire which the other 2 are going to the 2 horns up top.  I'll give it a try, thanks to everyone for the help.  I just got done replacing all the fabric on these and hadn't hooked them up yet, just putting them back together, cleaning them up, oiling them, etc.  They are looking great, just want to hear them and hope they sound as nice as they look!  Thanks again!    

That is what I was looking for!  There are a pair of terminals, 1 red, 1 black down below to hook up to but I just wasn't sure which was + or -.  Just wanted to make sure I hooked them up correctly.  I assume from what you are saying then that everything that is hooked up to the copper plate is a - wire which the other 2 are going to the 2 horns up top.  I'll give it a try, thanks to everyone for the help.  I just got done replacing all the fabric on these and hadn't hooked them up yet, just putting them back together, cleaning them up, oiling them, etc.  They are looking great, just want to hear them and hope they sound as nice as they look!  Thanks again!    

You were typing when I was...  GL  :)

just want to hear them and hope they sound as nice as they look!

Unfortunately they don't.  So let me know where your located and I'll save you the trouble and swing by and take them off your hands.  It would keep you from braking your back when taking them to the trash :ph34r:

Welcome to the forum,  you have some very nice speakers on you hands.  Did you get two of each of the Belles and Lascalas.  Would like to see photos of them.

I have a Klipschorn speaker which was produced in 1955 and do not know much about hooking it up. Is there a manual I could purchase which would really help me out?

Thanks

I had a 53, sounded nice.  Do you have any pics of the unit, specifically the back where the crossover is?

Yes, welcome to the forum.

Of course red is always positive or plus or (+).

The other is going to be black or negative or minus or (-).

Please post pictures of your work.  We're all interested. 

So what is that car?

BTW, it seems to me that the wiring is from the era when Klipsch Inc. got involved with Monster Wire.  PWK did not believe in thick wire, finding it un necessary.  I suppose someone in corporate found it a commercial tie-in.

WMcD.

AK, AK-2 and AK-3 crossovers on Klipschorns normally have two pairs of speaker wire terminals mounted on the woofer access panel. Speaker wires from your receiver-amplifier plug into the lower binding posts labeled "Audio input" and the wires from the high frequency section of the crossover plug into the upper binding posts.

If someone is planning to examine the crossover, they should be aware of the parts mounted on the inside of the woofer access panel.

post-58241-0-00580000-1456300594_thumb.j

post-58241-0-43860000-1456300616_thumb.j

Nice pictures!  Yes, mine is a 70 Mach I CJ, I bought it in '74 with 12K miles on it and now it has 27K.  Love the looks, Grabber Green!  I appreciate all the advise on the speakers.  I will post a picture of the Lascala and Belle I have.  1 of each, bought from an old high school physics teacher back in the early '90's.  They are in excellent condition and he gave me a good deal on them since they were obviously different but I have used them as a pair and have enjoyed them!  He liked to mess around with lots of different pieces of equipment!  Thanks!

PS - Wish I had the Shaker hood!

Edited by hoepki

post-62453-0-58060000-1456357594_thumb.jpost-62453-0-96420000-1456357637_thumb.jpost-62453-0-54300000-1456357910_thumb.j

Here are some pictures of my "new" old horns and my Lascala and Belle.  Still moving things around but hope to have in place soon!  I have never taken so many staples out of anything in my life!!  Those side panels were bears!  Again, thank you for everyone's help, I appreciate the knowledge!  Nice to see another Mustang man out there also!  

• Like 2