v-trac demo impressions

khorn#1

Are there good quality 1" drivers capable of being crossed over at 400hz? If so, what is the cost of the drivers?

I'm measuring 11/16" on the opening out of a K55.

Greg

That's the problem. I have yet to find a reasonably priced 1" driver that can be crossed at 400hz. I am trying to get a good set of used JBL 2470's for that job. They average around $120 each.....if you can find them with original phenolic diaphragms.

The 2470's sound very good. I did a 'plug and play' with the 2470's mounted to the k400 with my A's. The k400 was almost respectable with the JBL driver. Even better with the wooden tractrix. I also had a pair of GPA 902's run as a two-way. The high-end was superb, but the low end was a bit light and cold, and didn't like being crossed below 600Hz, though I'm told others have crossed orignal altecs down to 400Hz. I'm currently running JBL 2420's, another very nice 1" driver (crossed at 500hz. Same as 2470, but with an aluminum diaphragm.

The 2470's sound very good. I did a 'plug and play' with the 2470's mounted to the k400 with my A's. The k400 was almost respectable with the JBL driver. Even better with the wooden tractrix. I also had a pair of GPA 902's run as a two-way. The high-end was superb, but the low end was a bit light and cold, and didn't like being crossed below 600Hz, though I'm told others have crossed orignal altecs down to 400Hz. I'm currently running JBL 2420's, another very nice 1" driver (crossed at 500hz. Same as 2470, but with an aluminum diaphragm.

During my search for a replacement 1" driver I have gained new respect for the K55 as a very capable driver. After listening the V-trac demo, I started to search for a 1" replacement that could go down to 400hz.....not an easy task.

During my search for a replacement 1" driver I have gained new respect for the K55 as a very capable driver. After listening the V-trac demo, I started to search for a 1" replacement that could go down to 400hz.....not an easy task.

Greg since I'm using your horn on a ported cabinet and not a K-horn does this lowering of the cross to 300 benefit me as well. I'm actually at 500hz now so maybe not getting all the true benefits of the Fc260. I don't believe my set up quite compared with yours because I ended up using Community M-200's because I got such a good deal on them. I do feel my high end is more impressive with Beyma 385's and DDS horns, but the sound of the BMS with ALK cross very impressive ! I'm changing out my caps in the Crites crosses to Jupiter caps. That's my final move without changing out my mid drivers which will more than likely happen down the road. It sounds great BTW in case anyone is interested ! I just bought and waiting for delivery on a Don Allen preamp to compare with my VTL, so more changes and expectations down the road as usual. Greg let me know your take on the crossovers. Thanks, Rich

Question for "canyonman"

I noticed that the BMS box said coaxial. Are you using the tweeter in the BMS?

I recently received a pair of V-Tracs, a Fc260,3 BMS drivers from Greg and am waiting in line behind Fjd for the 300Hz xovers. I think this is one of the best values I have gotten in audio equipment.

Sorry about the delayed response, no they are not coaxial's!!!

Jay

• 2 months later...

These demo units arrived 1-1/2 weeks ago but due to some crazy business travel I have only opened the crate and set them up this morning. I am now listening to track #3 of my demo disk and all I can say is "Greg, you've hit a home run with this product!" The sound that is coming from my Klipschorns is an order of magnitude better than what I had earlier today.

There is no way to compare the two, but I'll try ... First impression ... Bass! It's really unbelievable how the addition of the 2" midrange horn and flare has really beefed up the low-end. Stunning. Secondly, the midrange is exactly like so many before have described ... detailed, wide, unconstrained ... just wonderful.

This is easily the biggest upgrade to my system imaginable. Mike Lindsay was exactly right ... best speakers I've ever heard.

I have so much music to listen to this afternoon and tomorrow ... want to try some movie tracks ...

Good Lord ... what a difference.

As soon as I can, my wallet will be a few grand lighter.

Great work, Greg. Absolutely a game-changing product.

Chris.

I was the first to take advantage of the v-trac demo and was quickly sold on this upgrade. I have been through the gambit of upgrades through the last ten years or so from amps to cd to cable upgrades,etc. The v-trac with the BMS drivers rates up at the top of the best money spent vs performance gains. I can honestly say at least at my house that I have the best pair of khorns I have ever heard.

I have my bass bins completely sealed into the corners and the v-tracs, crites tweeters and Alk es-networks all mounted on a piece of birch that I can toe in or out however I want which I think is key to the total performance of this upgrade. It may not look the greatest but I like the complete adjustment factor from toe in or toe out and crossover adjustments on the fly. Everyone that has come to hear my system always comments on the size of the Alk crossovers as well as the v-trac horn and most of all is always blown away by the sound.

I have noticed that Greg is in the design process of a new khorn that would allow the midhorn and tweeter to be adjusted as well as bass bin improvements.

Can't wait to see what he comes up with.

Thanks,

Randy

I was the first to take advantage of the v-trac demo and was quickly sold on this upgrade. I have been through the gambit of upgrades through the last ten years or so from amps to cd to cable upgrades,etc. The v-trac with the BMS drivers rates up at the top of the best money spent vs performance gains. I can honestly say at least at my house that I have the best pair of khorns I have ever heard.

I have my bass bins completely sealed into the corners and the v-tracs, crites tweeters and Alk es-networks all mounted on a piece of birch that I can toe in or out however I want which I think is key to the total performance of this upgrade. It may not look the greatest but I like the complete adjustment factor from toe in or toe out and crossover adjustments on the fly. Everyone that has come to hear my system always comments on the size of the Alk crossovers as well as the v-trac horn and most of all is always blown away by the sound.

I have noticed that Greg is in the design process of a new khorn that would allow the midhorn and tweeter to be adjusted as well as bass bin improvements.

Can't wait to see what he comes up with.

Thanks,

Randy

Well, the V-Tracs are on their way to the west coast ... and another lucky participant.

I totally endorse Randy's comments above ... and Mike Lindsay's comments this Fall ... This is by far the biggest upgrade you can make if you have stock Klipschorns. I was ready to pull the trigger on a new pre-/pro-, but putting these V-tracs in place verified that my challenges were not in the signal processing ... they were in the midrange (and tweeter, actually).

I had the good fortune, while living in Texas, to hear a pair of Jubilees and these come awfully close to them ... the seamless nature of the midrange and the bass interaction made this new configuration really sound like an awesome 2-way system. While they may not be Jubilees, they sound amazing and the level to which they motivate the bass is staggering. Beefing up the mid-bass is just wonderful and I could have listened to these speakers for DAYS.

I will just say this ... the sonic ROI on this upgrade is off the charts. I will be ordering a pair of these as soon as I can, hopefully in January.

Greg, really, really nice job with this. I wish you and Volti all the best down the road with your efforts. I will be watching closely :)

That is very nice to hear Chris. The response from my customers regarding the V-Trac horn upgrade is what is really energizing me with Volti Audio. I think I have several customers who are more impressed with the V-Trac than I am in my own Khorns!

I'm going to work hard to bring the very best upgrades for the Khorn into one place, with everything in stock (including ALK Universal networks), and offer great one-on-one service to my customers. Lot's of other ideas too, which I probably shouldn't mention here.

Greg

• 1 year later...

Happy New Year, everybody!

I made some modifications in my home 5.1 system recently and wanted to offer some updated listening impressions. On the whole, the overall sound quality has increased an order of magnitude. Details ...

First, I installed the V-Trac modifications on my Klipschorns. To save a few dollars and also make the mods in steps, I went with Greg's V-120 throat adapters and used the stock K55 drivers. On the ALK Universals, I altered the taps and attenuated the mid's output to -9.5 dB, taps 0 & 2. This cooled off the more efficient midrange voicing and brought the bass to the forefront where it belonged. The net result was stunning. As others have noted, this delicate balance between the bass and upper frequencies is executed brilliantly. Greg got this exactly right.

Secondly, I had had some issues with the Danley DTS-20's built-in amplifier. Even though it was far out of warranty, the great folks over at Danley sent me a fresh amp and I returned the original. I fired it up and it was off to the low frequency races once again.

Finally, my old Sunfire pre/pro was giving up the ghost so, after some research, I found a new Denon 989 receiver with the Audessey MultiEQ XT room correction. In it went into the rack and I ran the simple 8-position diagnostic with the microphone, let it calculate and reset.

The result of all this has been remarkable. The Klipschorns are magnificent, the Danley low frequency is very fast and keeps pace with the Klipschorn's alacrity. The balance of the entire system and its interaction with the room is as close to perfect as my ears can detect. Hard to believe it all integrates as well as it does.

Next stop ... the center channel Belle will get the V-Trac treatment ... coming soon!

Happy sonics to you all in 2011.

Chris

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...