75db or 80db?

JSChapman

For my home theater, at -15 dB on the volume nob, all speakers output 75 dB using AVIA test tones. At -5 dB on the volume nob, all speakers output 85 dB. The reference level for movies is the volume setting where all speakers output 85 dB using a test tone (and this results in 105 dB peaks for the main speakers and 115 dB peaks for the LFE channel). However, this level is usually considered too loud for most people (I know it is too loud for me). As a result, I usually listen with the volume nob at -15 dB (the level where all speakers output 75 dB). This is basically 10 dB below reference.

I use 85dB to set the sub level, just because it's closer to actual listening level than any lower settings, not because of any Dolby or THX recommendations. Also, 85dB is loud enough for any bass modes in the room to be clearly audible, so it's easier to find and address any problems that reveal themselves. I should point out that I just match the sub levels to the main speakers, because 2-channel music is my main interest. However, the settings I end up with seem to work equally well for movies or surround music.

For matching the speaker levels to each other, I use 65dB, reasoning that it's easier on the speakers.

I calibrate all speakers to 85dB for HT which we listen to at Ref levels. I think setting it higher than 75 is beneficial for us because it's also our primary room, some DTV station don't come in as loud so it leaves flexibility.

For 2 ch listening I bump the mains and sub up to 100dB and listen between 95dB - 102dB with peaks into the 110 arena. I only listen to it on the high end when the wife is gone.....who would have guessed.

shoot....... I posted and got a time out and now post is all gone.

anyways I calibrate at 85 dB as it give flexibility for those TV channels that come in quieter.

For 2 ch It's all bumped up another 15dB for an even 100dB which reaches peaks in the 110dB arena.Only when the wife is gone and the neighbors are sleeping......do i listen this loud