Is the K55X a 2" driver?

Being the dummy in this stuff that I am... I had a fleeting thought go through my head a moment ago.

Greg, you said

It's really too bad to see Klipsch have to stoop to this level of game-playing to beef up the specs of the Khorn

(emphasis mine)

As I read that I was scratching my head..... the thought that went through it was "Lets presume I go to another site (JBL, TAD, EV...other) and look up a 2" driver. If the specs on those drivers are for 'bonafide' 2" drivers, then they should stomp all over the specs on this 1" driver.

No??

In other words, isn't comparing this 2" diaphragm driver to a 4" diaphragm driver a bit apples to oranges and wouldn't the advantage go to the 4" version? If the advantage would go to the larger driver (and I don't know that it would...I suppose it might depend on what you are measuring?) then I think you could argue that it's to Klipsch's disadvantage to call it a 2" rather than an advantage.

Am I backward on something here?

[:^)]

The average consumer doesn't understand the specifics related to different horns and drivers -- they could care less.

People who know and understand horns and compression drivers understand the stated specification perfectly without any problem.

If you're going to use the Klipsch forum to promote your product, the least you can do is show a little grace.

Guest " "

The only Klipsch speaker spec's that ever made sense to me was on the back of a pair of LaScala Professionals....the spec said something like..

200 watts program

40 watts from 40 - 400hz

60 watts from 400hz - 4500hz

25 watts from 4500hz - 17khz

If I didn't know about Khorns or other horn speakers in general, and went looking around the internet for information about horn-loaded loudspeakers, and gathered information on speakers with 1" driver horns, 1.4" driver horns, and 2" driver horns, and then looked the specs on the Khorns and ordered some, thinking I was going to get a 2" driver, wouldn't I be some pissed when I unpacked them to find a 3/4" hole that the midrange sound is coming out of.

You think I'm not showing grace now . . . . there would be an angry phone call.

Greg

I can see Greg's point. If you order the "2-inch" unit thinking the supplier is talking exit size, you are in for a shock when you open the box.

OTOH,

It seems to me the issue of misleading depends on the buyer.

1) The non-technical buyer of the K-Horn etc, does not rely on this.

2) A somewhat educated buyer of the K-Horn and parts might think that the dimension related to exit size, and 2" exit is better, or what I want. Somewhat Greg's point.

The problem here is that the situation of the old saying, "A little knowlege is dangerous." Or it requires selective knowledge and selective ignorance. (I use the latter term like they do in the South. To be "ignorant" means good faith lack of knowledge; it doesn't mean stupid. (But maybe this Yankee doesn't have that quite correct. Call me ignorant.)

3) The third buyer is technically adept. The buyer knows there are 1-inch exit drivers with 1.75 inch diaphragms and others with 2.0 inch diaphragms; these usually have spin-on threaded exits. The third buyer also knows there are 1.4-inch exit drivers and 2.0-inch exit drivers with 4-inch diaphragms; these usually are bolt-on but there are three- and four-bolt patterns.

In this third case, the buyer is going to look at the somewhat vague 2-inch spec and say, "I wonder what this refers to?"

Smile.

Wm McD

This is another good reason that Klipsch Parts does not cater to the hobbyiest or experimenter. Klispch parts are intended to be genuine replacement parts for Klipsch loudspeakers- in which case this would be a non-issue.

Klipsch says:

"Midrange K-55-X 2" (5.08cm) Phenolic diaphragm compression driver"

I just don't see an issue. The specification clearly states it's a compression driver utilizing a 2" phenolic diaphragm. :) If the potential buyer wants to know specifics related to the exit or the horn, they only need to ask.

Here's how the manufacturer describes the driver:

PD-5VH Compression Driver 40 W, 16 Ohms
Model PD-5VH is a 40-watt driver with 2" voice coil machined to optimum tolerances.

Model PD-5VH has an Alnico V-DG magnet which offers maximum temperature stability and optimizes output for yielding the lowest amplifier power requirements. It also provides terminals for matching direct to the 16 ohm voice coil. PD-5VH offers a plane wave frequency response of 110 - 4,100 Hz (+5dB).

The durable compression driver mounts easily to large format horns that terminate in the standard 1 3/8"–18 male coupling thread.

"The durable compression driver mounts
easily to large format horns that terminate in the standard 1 3/8"–18
male coupling thread.
"

Now that is an odd size thread. Does anyone else have that size tap and die in their tool kits like I do?

Bob Crites

post-9312-1381946607089_thumb.jpg

The K-55 (all of the varients) is a nice sounding driver. Just because there are better drivers out there doesn't mean it sucks. And here's the best part -- just because a driver is "better", doesn't mean you're going to like the sound of it.

• Like 1

The K-55 (all of the varients) is nice sounding driver. Just because there are better drivers out there doesn't mean it sucks. And here's the best part -- just because a driver is "better", doesn't mean you're going to like the sound of it.

Well Put Dean![Y]

The overall reproduction from the Heritage Line when given a good acoustical enviroment still delivers music that touches the emotions and deserves a great deal of respect for getting that most essential part of reproduction right!

mike tn