Don't usually like to Brag.... But I can't help myself.

I managed to stumble on the deal of the year. I got a call to replace a garden hose spigot that had frozen because the homeowner left his garden hose hooked up to it through the winter, It froze and split.

While I was there, I noticed a pair of HWL's in the way of the repair in the basement. I casually mentioned them and the homeowner asked if I'd be interested in them.

To make a long story short, I walked out of there with both HWL's, a Pioneer VSX-454 reciever, matching twin cassette deck, and Sharp CD player.... all for a $50.00 reduction in the repair bill. That was his idea, not mine!

Got them home. Everything works perfectly. The only damage to the HWL (other than normal wear), is one of the cab corners looks like a dog tried to use it for a chew toy once.

My 14year old daughter Immediately gobbled these up and is now proudly pissing her mother off with them!!!

turns out, not exactly a good deal. I've since discovered that the tweeter does not work on one speaker. I've disassembled the driver and discovered that the diaphram has an open on a good ohm meter, even though I cannot see a burnt spot or break in it.

I hope I can find a replacement (for a REASONABLE) cost.

turns out, not exactly a good deal. I've since discovered that the tweeter does not work on one speaker. I've disassembled the driver and discovered that the diaphram has an open on a good ohm meter, even though I cannot see a burnt spot or break in it.

I hope I can find a replacement (for a REASONABLE) cost.

Still a very good deal.

Check the connection at the tweeter where the wire solders in. Sometimes they are loose there.

Greg

I already disassembled the driver and checked the diaphram and have no continuity. I cannot readily see a break or burnt spot on it, but it is definately Open. I have had a similar problem with a Chorus 1 years ago, but the diaphram had a burnt spot on it (back when I drove the speakers with ADCOM.

Well, the new diaphram came in a few days ago. I finally had time last night to install it. What a breeze. It came with everything to replace the diaphram as an assembly. I thought I'd be trying to solder the diaphram leads (there as fine as frog's hair) into the existing housing, to my supprise, they came installed into a housing already.

Now, my daughter is back to pissing off the WAF!!![:D]

I keep hearing everyone talk about replacing the caps in older speakers. I think these and all my others sound fine, so it's really hard for me to want to spend the cash to update them.

Can replacing the caps make that much of a difference.

I now have a pair of:

81 Heresy's

87 Forte's

89 Chorus's

93 Heresy II's

93 Academy

If everything needs updating, that's going to cost a pretty penny.

I also cannot decide wether to re-finish (walnut laquor), the Heresy's as their still NICE "beaters", but would maybe consider using them as "trade bait" and they'd be more appealing if I re-veneered them in some type of exotic wood, as all my others are oak oiled.

Can replacing the caps make that much of a difference.

It's all up to you, I did my Heresy and a pair of Cornwalls were done when I got them. I still have one pair that are original and they sound good too.

One of the forum members from Texas is selling veneer in the "Garage Area" if that is something you are thinking about.

James

• 1 month later...

Nicely done, though sometimes feel badly if the stuff is too undervalued and the seller isn't aware. But, I never feel badly enough to the point I don't buy it. I simply make sure the buyer knows s/he might get a better deal than I'm offering, but I'm willing to take it for the price.

Clears my conscience.

Nicely done, though sometimes feel badly if the stuff is too undervalued and the seller isn't aware. But, I never feel badly enough to the point I don't buy it. I simply make sure the buyer knows s/he might get a better deal than I'm offering, but I'm willing to take it for the price.

Clears my conscience.

These speakers were not without their problems. One of the tweeters was blown. One of the speakers looked like it had been a "Chew toy" for a dog, it got the corner of the speaker and tore up a grill cloth.

I don't think they'd be worth too much more than I have in them right now (nearly $50.00) for a new tweeter diaphragm, besides this guy deserves it. He replaced them with BLOSE[:P]

You have no obligations whatsoever to tell someone something might be worth more than you're offering. If a person had to do that, what the heck would they call "negotiating?"

Back to the xover re-cap issue. I didn't believe it would make a difference before, but after lots of prodding, I did it. It did make a big difference in the high end. The highs were much more crisp afterward.